When Chelsea came into cash?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

When Chelsea came into cash?

Postby Beeks » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:10 am

Just been trying to think back to when they were first bought out by Roman...Did they receive the same sort of hostility from the press/rest of the world?

Suppose i'm just trying to benchmark whether we are travelling a similar path?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Re: When Chelsea came into cash?

Postby john68 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:15 am

I think the hatred and negativity built gradually as they started to target and buy players. Much the same as is happening to us.
They are a London club and have their traditional "celeb following" I think that sweetened it a lot with the media.
We are ruining football...and buying our success...we are a disgrace to football...we disgust other managers...AND I FUCKING LOVE IT!!!
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Mase » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:16 am

I think at the time the press were more bothered about his links with the Russian Mafia than Chelsea ruining football.
I remember the season after the takeover they got a lot of stick for sacking Ranieri.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3036838.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2005/oct/17/newsstory.sport9

They're just a couple I found on the takeover.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:41 am

When Cheslea got going it was pre the "Sky4" so it was acceptable for teams to come in and try and win the league. I remember it was seen a Blackburn MKII with a much bigger budget and everyone was interested to see what would happen.

I think West Ham fans were the most pissed off with Chelsea as they used them as a feeder club for a few years.

However, after years of media building their entire scheduling and agendas around the Sky4 its causing them to have to think about writing new things for the first time which is hurting their heads, they much prefer to copy and paste from last season.

On another point though, you can see subtle changes already taking place. We are featuring on billboard adverts and on websites and on front covers of fixture booklets.

Give it another 12 months and we will have been accepted by the media if we are successful. If we are not then they will kick us in the balls unlike anything seen before.

What's interesting though is there can only ever be a top4 unless they change Champions League qualification places. With our wealth we will be in that top 4 for many years to come.

I'd be very interested to see what impact not been in the Champions League would have on the likes of United, Liverpool and Arsenal, it will happen to one of them soon!
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby john68 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:06 am

I think somebody at the Swamp stated a few years ago that if they miss out on Europe for 2 consecutive years, they are in deep financial trouble.
That was before the present recession and before their debt rose to its present levels.
The announcement from the swamp of last years figures will be intersting indeed.

Liverpool have already delayed their new ground, and were in financial difficulty last season. Europe is certainly a necessity for them
john68

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Wooders » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:10 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Just been trying to think back to when they were first bought out by Roman...Did they receive the same sort of hostility from the press/rest of the world?

Suppose i'm just trying to benchmark whether we are travelling a similar path?

They did from me, I well took the piss out of my Chelsea supporting mates
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Fish111 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:39 am

I think we will be hated and sniped at by the media for many a long month for two reasons:

1) We are not a London club.
2) We are not Manchester U/#~+=D

The press are London based predominantly and are all rag-loving tossers. Fuck-em anyway, i want to see a City captain lift a shitload of trophies and i don't care if we are slaughtered & hated by the media.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:04 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Just been trying to think back to when they were first bought out by Roman...Did they receive the same sort of hostility from the press/rest of the world?

I believe they did. Blackburn didn't because it was nice to see little old Blackburn beat the SCUM, old Jack Walker blah blah blah. But we aren't now 'lickle old ciddy' we are a monster being re-awoken from the depths!
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby dazby » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:48 am

I'd love for someone to dig out an old thread and see our reactions. Be good to read.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:03 am

Chelsea did get some stick about it, but not from me.
I have always said that Liverpool, Arse and Filth created the climate where money ruled. They stole it away from the rest and put themselves in an unassailable position. Chelsea merely turned up with more cash to play them at their own game.
I liked the fact that Chelsea were able to beat the Filth, I liked hearing stupid rags bleating about 'buying the title'.
We have now turned up with more loot still and we will be accepted in time. Our pedigree and history is excellent, a truly top club. And just as Chelsea winning stuff was a bit odd at first, it will be when we do. And similarly, everybody will soon get used to it, in the same way Chelsea's name trips off the tongue as a 'top four' team.
In fact I think it is us fans, who will struggle with it most!
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby sandman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Fair do's Chelsea have had a good run for a few years but have not completely taken the world by storm, they are up their with the best but do not stand up and above the Champions League. This is why I feel we shall be hated all the more;

City have access to copious amounts more funds than Chelsea could dream of.

City are not a London Club.

City were previously not even regularly in the top half.

The press have historically snubbed City as the Mancunian underdogs, and will not like us pushing their Baconfaces Baconface out of joint.

Plus, all the teams between 17th and the top will feel (rightly or wrongly) that we have somehow leapfrogged them and that they deserve our good fortunes, I suppose we have, but our fortune is long overdue.
sandman

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:56 pm

dazby wrote:I'd love for someone to dig out an old thread and see our reactions. Be good to read.

All but impossible now.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wooders » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Slim wrote:
dazby wrote:I'd love for someone to dig out an old thread and see our reactions. Be good to read.

All but impossible now.

well, as far as I remember it, there was a fair bit of being ok with it until they came in for SWP - then the anamosity began. I for one was furious. But that SWP money saved us a fair bit of grief
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Chinners » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:07 pm

I think we will have to actually win something before being truely hated.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:19 pm

if i remember correctly you said you wanted Michael Ballsack to give you a Cleveland Steamer when they signed him in keeping with "German tradition." Am i remembering that correctly?
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby sandman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Wooders wrote:well, as far as I remember it, there was a fair bit of being ok with it until they came in for SWP - then the anamosity began. I for one was furious. But that SWP money saved us a fair bit of grief

Possibly kept us in the Premiership??
sandman

Postby Wooders » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:24 pm

sandman wrote:
Wooders wrote:well, as far as I remember it, there was a fair bit of being ok with it until they came in for SWP - then the anamosity began. I for one was furious. But that SWP money saved us a fair bit of grief

Possibly kept us in the Premiership??

I reckon thats fair to say
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:25 pm

sandman wrote:Fair do's Chelsea have had a good run for a few years but have not completely taken the world by storm, they are up their with the best but do not stand up and above the Champions League. This is why I feel we shall be hated all the more;

The press have historically snubbed City as the Mancunian underdogs, and will not like us pushing their Baconfaces Baconface out of joint.

Plus, all the teams between 17th and the top will feel (rightly or wrongly) that we have somehow leapfrogged them and that they deserve our good fortunes, I suppose we have, but our fortune is long overdue.

Yes but as a club we defo deserve it alot more than all of them. In the 60s and 70s (not to mention 20s and 30s etc) we were one of the most successful clubs in the country, and on course to be up there with the Liverpool's and Scum's of the world. Infact many I have spoke to think we were only 2 or 3 players away from having a real crack in Europe.

Then all that changed with Swales, not at first but eventully it became obvious the man was a nutter. From the mid 70's till late 90's when Bernstain took over the club was so piss poorly managed that we went from one of the most powerful clubs in the country to the third tier, not to mention turning a cosistent successful club from champions to one which hasnt won anything for 33 years. We have only just now started to recover as a club with ADUG from the damage done by Swales.

The one thing however that has remained great through all this shit has been us, the fans. 30,000 a week in divison fucking 2 I could go on and on. Now this club if finally getting back to where we belong which is the top of the English game, but like you say clubs who have never done half as much as us think we have no right to be above them? They can all do one because no matter what a glory chasing top 4 fans says, Spud fan, Everton fan, We are one of the biggest clubs in the country for a number of reasons including our fanbase, fine history and heritage and some of the great players who have played for our club to name a few and we always will be.

The fact we havn't won anything for 33 years yet remain the 9th most successful club in English football history shows you how great we were and how great we will be. We will forever be a big club and we will take our place back at the top of the game, it's a matter of time.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby sandman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:59 pm

10.Goater_Legend wrote:
sandman wrote:Fair do's Chelsea have had a good run for a few years but have not completely taken the world by storm, they are up their with the best but do not stand up and above the Champions League. This is why I feel we shall be hated all the more;

Yes but as a club we defo deserve it alot more than all of them. In the 60s and 70s (not to mention 20s and 30s etc) we were one of the most successful clubs in the country, and on course to be up there with the Liverpool's and Scum's of the world. Infact many I have spoke to think we were only 2 or 3 players away from having a real crack in Europe.

Then all that changed with Swales, not at first but eventully it became obvious the man was a nutter. From the mid 70's till late 90's when Bernstain took over the club was so piss poorly managed that we went from one of the most powerful clubs in the country to the third tier, not to mention turning a cosistent successful club from champions to one which hasnt won anything for 33 years. We have only just now started to recover as a club with ADUG from the damage done by Swales.

The one thing however that has remained great through all this shit has been us, the fans. 30,000 a week in divison fucking 2 I could go on and on. Now this club if finally getting back to where we belong which is the top of the English game, but like you say clubs who have never done half as much as us think we have no right to be above them? They can all do one because no matter what a glory chasing top 4 fans says, Spud fan, Everton fan, We are one of the biggest clubs in the country for a number of reasons including our fanbase, fine history and heritage and some of the great players who have played for our club to name a few and we always will be.

The fact we havn't won anything for 33 years yet remain the 9th most successful club in English football history shows you how great we were and how great we will be. We will forever be a big club and we will take our place back at the top of the game, it's a matter of time.

Couldnt agree more, and the fact that we have enough fans in the immediate area to completely fill our stadium we may do it without attracting too many of the glory supporters!!

(p.s. we won something yesterday... ha ha)
sandman

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:42 pm

sandman wrote:
10.Goater_Legend wrote:

Couldnt agree more, and the fact that we have enough fans in the immediate area to completely fill our stadium we may do it without attracting too many of the glory supporters!!

(p.s. we won something yesterday... ha ha)

Swales & Ken Bates; 2 cheeks of the same arsehole. Bates made a monumental fuckup of Chelsea, got rescued by Matthew Harding, fucked it up again & got taken over by a billionaire a day before the club was due to go into admininstration. For his troubles he sailed off into the sunset with millions, just like Swales at City. Minimum outlay; maximum profit. Notice how both of them spent 20 years 'developing' the ground.

Swales could've walked away with a huge profit & still left us with money to buy players but chose to get every single penny he could so we were left with nothing once the money needed to rectify his destruction of the club became apparent . Twat.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum