97,000 watch City on the UK web

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

97,000 watch City on the UK web

Postby john@staustell » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:08 am

Which doesn't include me, I was working.

Interesting eh?

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/20 ... et-in-town

We would like to extend a big Blue thank you to all those people who tuned into last night’s live free and exclusive streaming of the game from Barcelona proving once again that City are the hottest ticket in town.
There were 97,121 unique UK visitors to the site last night as we downed the European Champions 1-0 thanks to Martin Petrov’s clinical first half strike.

That’s twice the capacity of the City of Manchester Stadium and only 1,662 fewer than were in the Nou Camp itself!

And just to back up that phenomenal interest in our great club, we now only have only single seats left for the first home game of the season against Wolves on Saturday when the opening day attendance record for the stadium will be smashed.

There are limited hospitality packages on sale too by calling 0870 062 4141.

Those who want to guarantee a seat to watch football’s most interesting story unfold can still do so by buying a Seasoncard which remain on sale until the last day of this month.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: 97,000 watch City on the UK web

Postby ENIAM NAM » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:14 am

Best crack on with the stadium expansion plans then!!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby lukemb » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:14 am

Quite impressive, would have been one more too if I had an internet connection at my house
lukemb
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Fish111 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:17 am

Great viewing fugures, how many City fans travelled to the Nou Camp?
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Beeks » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:19 am

Why was the guy who was doing the website commentary saying that there were 25000 viewers then?

I smell spin
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:24 am

lukemb wrote:Quite impressive, would have been one more too if I had an internet connection at my house

It would have been more except...I went to the pub instead.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Fish111 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:25 am

He was just on about Bluemoan viewers, he must be a mod on that site as he kept mentioning them, well, he mentioned them once anyway.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby irblinx » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:27 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Why was the guy who was doing the website commentary saying that there were 25000 viewers then?

I smell spin

Pretty sure he said 27000 but still a damned site less then reported now, I think we need Chris to tell us the script here
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Mase » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:43 am

Fish111 wrote:Great viewing fugures, how many City fans travelled to the Nou Camp?

Think I read 1,000 somewhere.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby mr_nool » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:16 am

Add all the overseas fans, like me, who watched on unofficial streams, and you have well over a 100,000 City fans watching the game.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:20 am

We've got the biggest flood-lights in the Premier League....
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby irblinx » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:23 am

mr_nool wrote:Add all the overseas fans, like me, who watched on unofficial streams, and you have well over a 100,000 City fans watching the game.

plus the fact that many of 97,000 unique visitors will have had more than one person watching (3 City fans at ours for instance) and the rumoured plans for the ground seem maybe a little bit unambitious! The majority of those fans are UK based, due to the restrictions on the site, and so are within reasonable travelling time of COMS.

It is also fairly obvious from the stock levels in the shop and the online shop that they underestimated the demand for the clothing ranges and driving more people to the site with excellent functionality like free streaming of friendlies is only going to increase that demand. In short things are going VERY well at the moment, long may it continue
irblinx

Postby blues-clues » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:23 pm

its 97000 hits on the Website all night - not necessarily watching the live stream.

The Unique hits can be deceptive as well as it depends whether they are measuring the MAC address, the unique identifier of each computer or the IP address which can change each time you log on. If like me you switched from work to home during the match you will count as two hits.

Also hits don't reflect viewers. If you stream to your TV there might be half a dozen or more watching.

Fair to say it was a decent audience for a "friendly". Gobsmacked that the stadium was full.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Wooders » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:59 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Why was the guy who was doing the website commentary saying that there were 25000 viewers then?

I smell spin

exactly.
It doesn't sound likely to me, especially as there was prem football on TV.
Someone has made a mistake or someone is telling porkies. I hope its the first.

edit
although there could have been enough embittered everton, villa, arsenal and scum fans gagging to see our downfall against the finest side in Europe?? I am starting to believe !
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Chinners » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Wooders wrote:

I smell spin

exactly.
It doesn't sound likely to me, especially as there was prem football on TV.
Someone has made a mistake or someone is telling porkies. I hope its the first.

edit
although there could have been enough embittered everton, villa, arsenal and scum fans gagging to see our downfall against the finest side in Europe?? I am starting to believe !

Spot on, I think when people lost their feed (as some did on here) and then it came back they have treated this as a new person logging in. I'd love to believe nearly 100,000 tuned in to watch us in the uk for a friendly . . . . it ain't realistic thou is it . . Spinners OUT
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby irblinx » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 pm

blues-clues wrote:or the IP address which can change each time you log on

Whilst they can change it is usually not that often that they would appear as different IP addresses during the course of a game from the same computer even if they did lose the stream and log back on especially if they haven't turned their router off in the meantime (I've had the same external IP address at home for at least the last month, probably considerably longer). Also the website that they mention might just be the streaming site or even the streaming servers themselves rather than the OS as a whole.

For every person that watched on two separate computers/consoles there were no doubt people like me with more than one person sat watching the same device so I'm sure it would at least even itself out on that score.
irblinx

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:41 pm

I saw a thread on another forum (non-City) about the game being streamed and the link, I don't think 100K hits is too unrealistic.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Slim wrote:I saw a thread on another forum (non-City) about the game being streamed and the link, I don't think 100K hits is too unrealistic.

Neither do I.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Rag_hater » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:06 pm

It was on National TV here in Spain a station called La Sexta so I should imagine quite a few thousand watched it as here as it was free and football is very well followed here
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dameerto » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:52 pm

irblinx wrote:

I smell spin

Pretty sure he said 27000 but still a damned site less then reported now, I think we need Chris to tell us the script here

That's the same commentator who claimed a 15 foot high cross by Barca was a "good cross but no one on the end of it" - and who didnt know if SWP was coming on of going off during a substitution. Not one of his better nights to be honest so do you really trust him with figures too? At least he plugged the remaining Wolves tickets a couple of times and it seems to have done the trick.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum