Carling Cup Team

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Carling Cup Team

Postby bobadji » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:01 pm

OhDannyBoy wrote:-------------------Given-----------------
Zabaleta---Nedum---Dunne---Lescott

Weiss-----De Jong---Ireland---Petrov

-----------Tevez------Bellamy-----------

Agree with this team, still strong enough to progress, but gives some players a rest. Put a couple of big guns on the bench, and a couple of youngsters, Mak/Mee/Trippier etc. No need to see TBH or Benjani on the pitch at all.
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:58 pm

I would play Micah at R back if Palace are a typical Warnock side (not seen much of them but assuming they will be) as Warnock sides usually go for aerial bombardment & he's much better than Zabba in the air.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mcfcshoz » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:08 pm

does any one no if you can pay on the door for the game as workin down in london this week and want to get to this game.......
mcfcshoz
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: man city

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:21 pm

dazby wrote:I say rotate. Play some kids.

i say fix the broken link in your signature, son.

and yes we need to play a strong side and not fuck about with this. just a few changes from the Wolves side for me: Weiss and Petrov should get a look and maybe Lescott if he's fit and here by then. i'd play the strongest side i could because honestly it will be a stiffer test than Pompey at the weekend i think.

cheers
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Colin the King » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:06 am

The mistake we made in the past was playing a team full of reserves- and in that sense I mean guys in their late 20s and early 30s who had no passion for the club and were content earning their £30k a week from the sidelines. I do believe we can afford to play a few from the academy, and with experienced, top class first teamers around them will have enough to win the game. With that in mind this is the team I'd like to see on Thursday-

------------------Given----------------
Trippier---Touré---Onuoha---Bridge
------------de Jong---Zabaleta-------
-------------------Ireland--------------
Weiss------------------------------Petrov
-------------------Bellamy-----------------

I think there's a nice balance there of youth and experience. It's a system that's conducive to good football yet has a solid foundation. Ireland would have the chance to shine in his more favoured advanced position and Weiss, Petrov and Ned can stake their claims for first team football. Trippier is a really exciting talent and one I have high hopes for. I think he's well capable of taking on Palace and he'd have world class, experienced professionals like Given and Touré to reassure and help him along. It gives the players who were exhausted by 5pm on Saturday a rest- most notably SWP and Richards, which is a great luxury to have. They can then come back fit and fresh and in contention for Portsmouth. We can have Adebayor on the bench if their style of play dictates the need for a physical presence, Tevez to continue his return to full fitness with 15 minutes towards the end and a couple more kids on the bench too- maybe Adam Clayton and McGivern.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum