Upson

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Upson

Postby john@staustell » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:20 am

Not sure if this is in a thread somehwere, apologies if so, but I see Liverpool have been prevented from buying Upson for 15M by their bank:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... Upson.html

So, as we now seem to have 'ended interest in Lescott' on the Lescott thread, could this mean an Upson deal?
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: Upson

Postby Blue2 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:48 am

john@staustell wrote:Not sure if this is in a thread somehwere, apologies if so, but I see Liverpool have been prevented from buying Upson for 15M by their bank:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... Upson.html

So, as we now seem to have 'ended interest in Lescott' on the Lescott thread, could this mean an Upson deal?

£15m for Upson?, ffs, thats worse than £20m for Lescott. Wouldn't want to pay half that for Upson
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby john@staustell » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:54 am

West Ham have made deals based on the cash coming in. As the Dippers can't do it due to insolvency we should be able to screw them down to £10M, much like we screwed them down for Bellamy, despite what the red-tops reported.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Vhero » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:28 am

Johnson and now Upson the scouse are losing it..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Fidel Castro » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:50 am

Ned is already twice the player Upson is, and will only improve. Ned & Toure is a great partnership, Dunne good back-up so we just need to find another back-up centre-back. No need at all spending 20million on Upson or Lescott, which will just hamper Ned's chances even though he is a better player than the both of them. Try signing an up-and-coming talent who won't mind playing second fiddle for a couple of years till Toure is too old.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:52 am

too old and too dear, 5m yeah nothing else only thing he has over our current defencers is a left foot!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Ned is already twice the player Upson is, and will only improve. Ned & Toure is a great partnership, Dunne good back-up so we just need to find another back-up centre-back. No need at all spending 20million on Upson or Lescott, which will just hamper Ned's chances even though he is a better player than the both of them. Try signing an up-and-coming talent who won't mind playing second fiddle for a couple of years till Toure is too old.

We have already got Mee and McGivern who I would put in this bracket.

So with Toure, Ned, Dunne, Kompany, TBH, Richards, Mee and McGivern, that makes eight possible central defenders, albeit some can play in other positions. All are internationals either full or at their age levels with the sole exception of a youth cup winning captain. Not that bad.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:28 pm

Would be pointless signing. Offers no significant improvement on what we have got and if we are to move forward in the future we need considerably better centerback in next year or so.
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:31 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Would be pointless signing. Offers no significant improvement on what we have got and if we are to move forward in the future we need considerably better centerback in next year or so.

SPOT ON - IT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER................................

HAVE WE ACTUALLY LOOKED ABROAD FOR BACK UP IN THIS POSITION?..I UNDERSTAND GETTING PREMIERSHIP EXPERIENCED PLAYERS IN BUT I THINK WE HAVE ENOUGH OF THEM IN TO NOW ACCOMODATE SOMEONE FROM ANOTHER LEAGUE?
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby irblinx » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:40 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Would be pointless signing. Offers no significant improvement on what we have got and if we are to move forward in the future we need considerably better centerback in next year or so.

HAVE WE ACTUALLY LOOKED ABROAD FOR BACK UP IN THIS POSITION?..I UNDERSTAND GETTING PREMIERSHIP EXPERIENCED PLAYERS IN BUT I THINK WE HAVE ENOUGH OF THEM IN TO NOW ACCOMODATE SOMEONE FROM ANOTHER LEAGUE?

The only point in signing Lescott is that he can play LB and so gives us an option there. You're spot on Carl, the Prem Experience policy is sound but surely that has now been executed to perfection, time to spread the net
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:49 pm

irblinx wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

The only point in signing Lescott is that he can play LB and so gives us an option there. You're spot on Carl, the Prem Experience policy is sound but surely that has now been executed to perfection, time to spread the net

Our squad has in average second most Premier League games in whole league. I think we are more than sorted in that department and should be looking somewhere else for top quality additions.
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Return to The Maine Football forum