Andy "Welsh" takes over at Platt Lane

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Andy "Welsh" takes over at Platt Lane

Postby Wooders » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:43 pm

You couldn't make it up could ya :D

This is actually good news - this guy is from the highly regarded Leeds academy that was produced Lennon, Milner amongst others, and apparently Jim will still be on hand when needed.
Good luck Andy and good luck Jim

From the OS

Andy Welsh has today been unveiled as the club’s new Academy manager.

As he moves into the hot seat at Platt Lane so predecessor Jim Cassell heads for international duty in charge of an exciting and ground-breaking project heading up a team changed with exporting the club’s renowned and revered youth culture across the planet.

Both men are thrilled with the fresh challenges facing them and Welsh knows that he has a hard act to follow.

“This is a great opportunity for me and I have a lot to live up to at a club that is clearly going places,” declared Welsh who ran the Leeds Academy that produced Scott Carson, Aaron Lennon and James Milner and who was appointed to a coaching role at City by Cassell.

“The first thing I would like to do is pay tribute to the extraordinary work done by Jim – who appointed me back in 2008 - and his coaches during the past decade or so.

“They built an Academy that is the envy of most of football from virtually nothing and the fact that so many players have come through the system and played for City’s first team at Premier League level is a wonderful tribute to their skill and professionalism.

“There are extremely big boots to fill here at Platt Lane and I am thankful that Jim will still be on hand so that I can tap into his expertise. There is a fantastic base from which to build and I am excited by the challenge that lies ahead.”

Cassell’s new mission is scheduled for lift off at the end of this year and he is already planning his team.

“The Platt Lane set up is in the best possible hands and for me it is great to be in on the ground floor of such an exciting project, we have the proverbial blank sheet of paper,” enthused the man who has shepherded 27 youngsters into the Premier League and lifted the FA Youth Cup since arriving at City from Oldham.

“I am thrilled to be part of such a ground-breaking venture. We have been having conversations for the past year about doing something new. If we didn’t add to what we do and come up with something new there was a fear that people in the Academy might alienate themselves away from new initiatives in the club.

“We want to be part of the successful evolvement of this club and the best way to do that is being at the forefront of the creation of new plans.”

Welsh was quick to point out that he was not in the business of fixing what isn’t broken and assured Blues fans that the Academy is right at the top of the club’s and the owner’s priorities.

“In my meetings with the chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak and CEO Garry Cook the emphasis has always been on how vitally important it is that as a club we continue to produce our own players and keep improving the development programme that is in place,” he said.

“Our aims have not changed and that is to produce players for Mark Hughes’ first team. It was hugely satisfying for us to see Stevie Ireland, Micah Richards and Shaun Wright-Phillips were all in the side at Blackburn

“Everything has been put in place to enable us to continue our progress. We have had a fabulous upgrade that will benefit the lads greatly in terms of facilities at Platt Lane.

The site, the pitches and the communal areas have all been vastly improved this summer and a wonderful environment in which to work. It all chimes perfectly with what has been done at Carrington and at the main stadium.

We know the bar has been raised in term of the first team and the quality available to us but we are determined to maintain opportunities to progress for the boys that we bring in. We want to continue the great balance that we already have at senior level between players that have been bought and those we have produced ourselves.”
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Re: Andy "Welsh" takes over at Platt Lane

Postby Fish111 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:03 pm

At least he can't deny being a member of 'The Taffia'
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby lythamblue » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Fish111 wrote:At least he can't deny being a member of 'The Taffia'

I don't think he is actually. Do we know his background?

In fact, he looks about my age (46) and I could be wrong, but I think he could be the same Andy Welsh that grew up in the Blackpool area and I played against him in the local Sunday league and played alongside him in the Blackpool Schools Under 15's side.

He started as an apprentice at B'pool, never eally made it .... but really took to the coaching side and ended up looking after the kids there, before moving on and carving a good name and subsequent career coaching youth teams.

As I say, it might not be the same guy, but everything so far seems to add up and match etc.
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Dameerto » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:38 pm

Appointed to the role by Cassell - probably the most important part of the whole article. Good luck to all.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:17 am

He has some mighty big boots to fill but let's hope for all our sakes that he can do it.

His first task will be to try and appoint similar quality coaches that we've just lost to "International project". No easy task. On the upside, I'm sure he has financial resources to further improve our youth scouting network if that's what he is interested about.
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Lionel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:20 am

Dameerto wrote:Appointed to the role by Cassell - probably the most important part of the whole article. Good luck to all.

So after Hughes banished Cassell to Arabia, he was instructed to appoint his successor. Cruel Hughes, just cruel.
Lionel
Danny Mills' Wages

Postby john@staustell » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:39 am

Lionel wrote:
Dameerto wrote:Appointed to the role by Cassell - probably the most important part of the whole article. Good luck to all.

So after Hughes banished Cassell to Arabia, he was instructed to appoint his successor. Cruel Hughes, just cruel.

Did he? LOL. Same old, same old, Hughes out. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:22 am

john@staustell wrote:
Lionel wrote:

Did he? LOL. Same old, same old, Hughes out. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It's the absolute worst insult Hughes could've given to Cassell. To force him to spend a whole year planning with the owners his own downfall & giving him a virtual blank sheet of paper so that he can design his downfall to be bigger & more expensive than anyone in history & force him to keep lying about how excited he is, force him to choose his own people so Hughes can force them to go, kicking & screaming, from Moss Side to Abu Dhabi & no doubt be forced to experience the horrors of Brazil, Spain etc & to top it all, force him to appoint his eventual successor & have to be there working side by side with him for ages before he goes!

What a way to treat such a fantastic employee.

It's not surprising this thread is so full of people complaining.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby irblinx » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:42 am

Ted Hughes wrote:It's the absolute worst insult Hughes could've given to Cassell. To force him to spend a whole year planning with the owners his own downfall & giving him a virtual blank sheet of paper so that he can design his downfall to be bigger & more expensive than anyone in history & force him to keep lying about how excited he is, force him to choose his own people so Hughes can force them to go, kicking & screaming, from Moss Side to Abu Dhabi & no doubt be forced to experience the horrors of Brazil, Spain etc & to top it all, force him to appoint his eventual successor & have to be there working side by side with him for ages before he goes!

Spot on Ted, I'm sure Saint Jim of PlattLane is absolutely gutted that he's being forced to spend the last years of his working life spending limitless funds scouring the world for the best footballing talent. He has been given an unprecedented remit to take a very successful blueprint and apply that in a global scale whilst the original academy that he built from scratch continues to be lauded in the UK and will be run by someone he handpicked to take his place
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Lionel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:46 am

irblinx wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:It's the absolute worst insult Hughes could've given to Cassell. To force him to spend a whole year planning with the owners his own downfall & giving him a virtual blank sheet of paper so that he can design his downfall to be bigger & more expensive than anyone in history & force him to keep lying about how excited he is, force him to choose his own people so Hughes can force them to go, kicking & screaming, from Moss Side to Abu Dhabi & no doubt be forced to experience the horrors of Brazil, Spain etc & to top it all, force him to appoint his eventual successor & have to be there working side by side with him for ages before he goes!

Spot on Ted, I'm sure Saint Jim of PlattLane is absolutely gutted that he's being forced to spend the last years of his working life spending limitless funds scouring the world for the best footballing talent. He has been given an unprecedented remit to take a very successful blueprint and apply that in a global scale whilst the original academy that he built from scratch continues to be lauded in the UK and will be run by someone he handpicked to take his place

No, no, no. Hughes fell out with Cassell and banished him to Arabia, seriously. Cassell is gutted that he can not carry on with his hard work, and being forced to pick someone to replace him must have made him ill.
Lionel
Danny Mills' Wages

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:02 am

Cue 13 pages of Socrates telling us the club is heading for oblivion........
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Lionel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:25 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:Cue 13 pages of Socrates telling us the club is heading for oblivion........

I am sure he will be on later this afternoon, ................

............. if City lose.
Lionel
Danny Mills' Wages

Postby Lionel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:02 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:Cue 13 pages of Socrates telling us the club is heading for oblivion........

Mr Miyagi, not going to happen, he was only ever going to log on if we lost. City are amazing when we win, I am sure it is the reverse for this forum.
Lionel
Danny Mills' Wages

Postby Grob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:52 am

Lionel wrote:

Mr Miyagi, not going to happen, he was only ever going to log on if we lost. City are amazing when we win, I am sure it is the reverse for this forum.

Agreed Lionel.

I remember we were promised that Cassell was forced out by Hughes from his previous role and shoehorned into a ridiculously overresourced international project to bring the brightest young talent from around the world to Manchester City via worldwide acadamys endorsed by Jim Casell in the above article. Im sure he said those things at gunpoint, our owners clearly have no clue.

Jim Casslls worst nightmare i should imagine.

Or was that just hyperbole? Again.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Return to The Maine Football forum