Most unluckiest player to be dropped

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Most unluckiest player to be dropped

Postby colonel_muck » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:22 am

was gonna post a thread like this myself. zabba for me i just really like the guy. last season he was superior to micah but fair play to micah he has been brilliant so far this year and definitely justified his place in the team. second is ned, and with dunne's two handballs in two games its only a matter of time before this time bomb goes off. get ned in for palace and i guarantee he will cement his place in the team for pompey. btw anyone got any idea when RSC is back?
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:07 pm

For me. it would have to be Ned. He was our best defender last season and I would much rather see him play along side Toure than Dunne. Zabba is also quite unlucky not to play. I always thought he is better than Micah at RB.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Richards is a better RB imo. And I agree that Ned is better than Dunne.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Blue Blood » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:09 pm

We have so much strength in depth now its unreal.

Onouha
Zabba
Kompany
De Jong
Johnno
Santa Cruz
Bellers
and now Dunne too i guess.

All the above are all genuine first teamers, all are worth a start and are unlucky not to. I also expect all the above to push all our current starting players very hard this season. Every player has to really battle for there place now. Its got to be the first time since..... well..... since..... ever i can remember this being the case at city. It's fooking fantastic!
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby john68 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Whatever the strengths and weaknesses of any of our players, whatever our opinions of them and no matter how those opinions differ from Hughes at any stage of the season, or against any opposition...We can rest assured that almost all of our squad will take some part in the season.
I posted recently that in both our League winning campaigns, we used over 20 players over the season.
The likes of Ned, Petrov and Zabba will all get their chances. I have said it before and will say it again, we have to start thinking SQUAD and not just 1st team
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby avoidconfusion » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:33 pm

I think Zabaleta got injured against Barcelona to be honest that's why he didn't play against Wolves.
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:43 pm

Defo has to be Ned on last seasons form.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 am

Ned and De Jong for me.

Ned was quality and I think the 2nd our back 4 look shaky he'll get back in, though the Lescott deal could make it harder now as well.

De Jong, just because I think the general consensus was SWP was going to be dropped and De Jong was in with Barry and Superman. Hughes shocked me and I'm guessing a fair few others by having so many attacking players in his lineup for Blackburn last week.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Oooh Vonky Vonky » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:44 am

Personally i think Bellemy was unlucky to be dropped for the Wolves game.

At Blackburn he did everything asked of him and was a great outlet in the last 20 mins at Ewood.

At the moment i would pick him over Robinho on the LHS of midfield ( especially away from home) ...........never thought i would say that..........but going off what i have seen then that makes us a harder team to beat
Oooh Vonky Vonky
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:48 am

Bellamy more than anyone else will be rested mate, because his knee wont play 2 games a week. If we want the best out of him, at 100mph, he wont play all the games.

I would play him away from home instead of Robson personally.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Mike J » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:59 am

neds. cant remember him putting a foot wrong last year.

glad richards is in the team, if he can get back the form he had under sven i honestly believe we have one of the best young defenders in europe.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby dikdik » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:25 am

Ned
No brainer
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:46 am

I thought Ned had been injured. Given his injury problems in the past I think it was/is right not to press him back into service too soon. His chance will come and I'm sure he'll take it. Personally I'd be happy to see him in at right back with Toure and Lescott as the centre half pairing. One way or another though, we look to have some impressive combos at the back.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Oooh Vonky Vonky » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:35 am

john@staustell wrote:Bellamy more than anyone else will be rested mate, because his knee wont play 2 games a week. If we want the best out of him, at 100mph, he wont play all the games.

I would play him away from home instead of Robson personally.

Fair comments - and i agree with you over playing him away from home over Robinho........not so sure the majority will go for that, but i would rather him start away at Pompey on LHS than Robinho.
Oooh Vonky Vonky
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby Original Dub » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:42 am

I don't really think any player has been unlucky to be dropped so far. Bellamy was a vast improvement on Robinho at Ewood park and caused more problems for them in his 20 mins than Robinho did for his hour or so IMO.

That said, if Hughes dropped Robinho for our first home game, knowing how good his home form generally is and the fans backlash, there wouldn't be many in agreement. The same can be said for Petrov in this case.

As for saying one of the defence should be replaced... we haven't conceded a goal yet and while folk will always look for the one player that saved us in each game, a defence is a unit that includes all four defenders and the goalkeeper. If as a unit we are not conceding it means they are building up an understanding of how to play together.

Every team we play will have one or two chances, that's what happens in football, even to the very best teams in the world... one player will make a slight slip and the goalkeeper will be tested. That's why we have a quality goalkeeper. But to say Shay has saved us for both games is a bit of an overstatement, because without some of the blocks and defensive headers in front of him, his position could have been a lot more precarious.

Some of the views on Ned I can understand to a certain degree. He had a pretty good season last year considering the rest of the defence was so shit... but is that not the same view on why we thought Dunne has been seen to be so good in the years before?
I think Ned has the credentials to be a top defender, but until we concede I don't think we should be making too many changes, bearing in mind Lescott will not be sitting on the bench for 20 odd million.

If some on here had their way, a defence that has not let ONE goal in yet should have three changes made to it, with Lescott, Ned and Zabaletta coming in?

Madness.
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:22 pm

Original Dub wrote:I don't really think any player has been unlucky to be dropped so far. Bellamy was a vast improvement on Robinho at Ewood park and caused more problems for them in his 20 mins than Robinho did for his hour or so IMO.

Bellamy played whole game in Ewood PArk. And was very good indeed.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum