When The Team 'Clicks'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

When The Team 'Clicks'

Postby King Kev » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:55 pm

In the last 2 games I think we have seen signs of things to come with the inter-play between our attacking players.

When Adebayor, Robinho, Tevez and SWP get an understanding between them we are going to absolutely batter some teams!
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: When The Team 'Clicks'

Postby Burt » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:00 pm

King Kev wrote:In the last 2 games I think we have seen signs of things to come with the inter-play between our attacking players.

When Adebayor, Robinho, Tevez and SWP get an understanding between them we are going to absolutely batter some teams!

I said that to my mate earlier KK.

I think that we can look forward to slaughtering a few sides this season when it all goes right.

We missed a few chances today that would have made it 4 or 5 nil.

I'm very pleased with us so far that's for sure:o)
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Whassat » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:01 pm

We've won two out of two games, excluding the Joan Gamper trophy vs Barcelona. Its early days still but some of the link-up play etc are absolutely pure class. But then theres parts where our teamplay is found lacking - it will only get better with more games.

Most importantly in my opinion is the willingness to fight it out, look at Adebayor and how he runs back to win the ball etc. Mercenaries? They play with their heart.
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City, AIK
My favourite player is: The magician

Postby Blue in the face » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Adebayor was awesome today. Poor Bellend had a nightmare when he came on. I think he will find it difficult to get a match when Tevez gets fully fit. And Robbie is the dogs bollox.

We are going to crush Palace on Thursday night. I cant wait.

I cant wait for every game now. Its fuckin amazing following City.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Fish111 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Going forward now = brilliant and will get better the more they play with each other.

Defence = still fuclkin scares me every time the opposition attacks.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Vantage » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:35 pm

What he said
Vantage
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Paul Lake

Postby Vantage » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:00 pm

What he said
Vantage
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Paul Lake

Postby Burt » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:06 pm

Vantage wrote:What he said

Did he say it twice? :o)
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:11 pm

When the team "clicks" we will be unplayable at times ripping through any defence and over powering most midfields. Once Lescott is signed, i'm sure that with a partnership of Toure, Lescott/ Onouha we will look much more stable at the back too.

We are in for some great times that's for sure.

;-)

Not to forget super Shay, what a save today!.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby irblinx » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:46 pm

What I'm really enjoying is the fact the players are all talking to each other trying to gel together, ie Tevez and Ade explaining what they were trying every time an interaction didn't come off and Toure explaining things to Micah. We just seem a hell of a lot more vocal out there now
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Dingus McDouchey » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:14 am

the problem with the finishing today was selfishness.
with a one goal cushion i would have expected an extra pass to be played in the final third.
they were all too eager to get on the scoresheet.
all part of the gel-ing process though, and as they start to trust one another they will be devastating.
Berbatov wins golden boot, spends following season on the bench while his team loses title on goal difference. Well played, Fergie.
Dingus McDouchey
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:52 am

Dingus McDouchey wrote:the problem with the finishing today was selfishness.
with a one goal cushion i would have expected an extra pass to be played in the final third.
all part of the gel-ing process though, and as they start to trust one another they will be devastating.

i dunno...i saw a few times where there was one too many passes played, and the majority of those misses were just poorly taken chances which SHOULD have been taken by the shooter, not selfishness.

so, to summarize, i disagree.

cheers
DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Grob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:29 am

My memory isnt quite what it used to be but I thought posters were advised in a thread a few weeks ago that they could not use the team taking time to gel as an excuse for performance? Or was that only valid if we were getting beat??
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Steve » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:37 am

Grob wrote:My memory isnt quite what it used to be but I thought posters were advised in a thread a few weeks ago that they could not use the team taking time to gel as an excuse for performance? Or was that only valid if we were getting beat??

You're right mate. Is it me or has this board been a little quiet since the move? Or is it because we are winning?
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Grob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:45 am

Steve wrote:
Grob wrote:My memory isnt quite what it used to be but I thought posters were advised in a thread a few weeks ago that they could not use the team taking time to gel as an excuse for performance? Or was that only valid if we were getting beat??

You're right mate. Is it me or has this board been a little quiet since the move? Or is it because we are winning?

Of course it is.

To maintan balance, ive been less than impressed with Ireland in the last 2 competitive games, Tevez is yet to convice me in our last 2 competive games (possibly due to his Mune affiliation), and Micah over Zabaletta has baffed me over the last 2 competitive games.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Dingus McDouchey » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:00 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Dingus McDouchey wrote:the problem with the finishing today was selfishness.

i dunno...i saw a few times where there was one too many passes played, and the majority of those misses were just poorly taken chances which SHOULD have been taken by the shooter, not selfishness.

so, to summarize, i disagree.

cheers

alright, the one where Superman laid it off for Ade in the first half (edge of the box) was one too many.
but Ade's rocket into the side netting from the tight angle should have been back-heeled to a wide open Robinho.
Berbatov wins golden boot, spends following season on the bench while his team loses title on goal difference. Well played, Fergie.
Dingus McDouchey
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby kinsey » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:55 am

King Kev wrote:In the last 2 games I think we have seen signs of things to come with the inter-play between our attacking players.

Perhaps this should be posted in the "Poor Atmos" thread but about half way through the first half, I thought most City fans went pretty quiet and this coincided with the period where our attacking players started to click together a little. Today's play was good but I think that if most of the crowd were like me, they would have been asking KK's question "(How good are we gonna be) when the team clicks?"

Today was not perfect, but there were moments when we could see how the reality of our dreams will look in the next few seasons. It is going to take a little getting used to!
kinsey
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:16 am

Whilst the potential for attacking football is obvious & exciting, if we keep missing chances like we did v Wolves, we'll get beat in as many games as we win. Ok, obviously we'll play a tighter side & be a bit more cautious v the better teams but it's still likely that we'll want to be adventurous, particularly at home.

Although I fully agree with what we tried to do today ie; kept going forward & backed ourselves to win through attacking football, our adventurous play left us horribly exposed at the back & a better team would almost certainly have scored.

If we'd've banged in 5-6 like we should've done Wolves wouldn't have been a threat going forward but the fact that we kept constantly missing chances meant we were in danger throughout the game. We have to convert a much higher ratio of chances or it'll be neccessary to go back to De Jong & VK etc in midfield & have less flair players in the team, which wouldn't be half as much fun.

It's not just up to the back 4 to defend, it's the whole team & when we were put under pressure late on, half of them were too fucked to get back into shape because they'd all been constantly charging forward half the length of the pitch only to make an arse of it when they got there. Needs sorting.
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby s1ty m » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:00 am

oh yes, it will come. fancy 5 at pompey next week?
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Crossie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:12 am

It could be a blessing to have smaller wins at first, remember when we beat Pompey 6-0 early on last season? I then got the feeling for a few games we thought we could just waltz through with 50% effort and the goals would flood in.

Winning by tight margins, having a few scares should make everyone work harder to pull it together faster. The old cliche, we didnt play well but we won fits us well so far.

Defences problem is not the thick of the action style defending, its preventing the long ball or cross into the box, if nothing comes in, you reduce the opposition to long shots, easy for Given. But Wolves last min left back (the bull) cross to the man on the back post, had no one anywhere near him, which gave him ages to carefully put a wicked cross in, and Wolves fwd fell over SWP - luckily SWP was so small it probably helped that particular incident!

Whether thats the fullbacks job or the midfielders not quite being in the right position who knows, but its been noticeable that we just stand still and let the ball come into the box with no pressure, THEN we stand tall and do our job, but life would be so much easier with abit more effort to stop that ball coming in. I think ive repeated myself about 4 times here but what im saying is right!
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum