Opinions

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Opinions

Postby edge275 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:02 am

I also think Micah has been ok so far this season, much better than last season without a doubt.

I'd still prefer Zabaleta to him though.

In my opinion the weakest link of our team is Dunne. We have a classy footballing side now, even the centrebacks are good on the ball and can pass it around freely. Dunne is error prone and not in the same class of players we have now.

Yesterday I saw some quality passes between the midfield and defence. It's squared to Dunne and even without being under pressure he sometimes just hoofs the ball up aimlessly, forgetting that we no longer have Corradi and Samaras up front but genuine world class strikers.

I'm really hoping Lescott takes Dunne's place and I'm sure I speak for most here that Onuoha should be before Dunne as well.

As for captaincy it's a tough call but I think I'd give it Toure.
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby edge275 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:03 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:One player who generally gets negative reviews is Micah and the key issues seem to be his play on the ball which show limitations. He can make some great runs but doesn't have the compsure , vision or touch to make it really pay when he gets in those good positions. He sometimes , not always , takes too long getting back into position but for me it's his decision making which is his weakest point.
When to close down tight , when to take a touch or not take a touch , when to be tight with the central defenders or closer to his wide man , when to tackle or just stand up. Somehow he doesn't get enough of those decisions right but overall yesterday he wasn't bad at all. Some opinions say he doesn't look fit but I think he looks fine. We should never forget that so often a mistake in defence can be a disaster and a goal and that lives in the memory more than a bad pass in attack or a missed chance.

I assume he is getting preference over Zabba because of his extra physical presence and heading ability against 2 teams so far whose main attacking threat is with crosses. Time will tell.

My "opinion" on Micah is that he is a central defender masquerading as a right back. He came through youth levels playing that position. He only played there because Pearce had a right back problem at the time and also didn't want to risk such a young player with the burden of central defence. The problem was Micah made a good job of it, mainly due to his physique, and even got in the England team. When Sven first switched him back to central defence he looked like a world beater.... then something went wrong.... perhaps being switched back and forth...

Micah can't cross, has poor ball control, and overall can't support the midfield out wide, which is part of the full back's job. He just can't do those things.

I know some people have talked about Micah being picked because he is more physical than Zabba etc.... but does Wenger worry about the size of Clichy or Sagna ?? Full backs are never big players, they are always built more like midfielders...

I agree, I also think Richards is better in central defence.
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby blootoof » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:04 am

blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Twobob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:06 am

I think as a team they played very very well yesterday - christ the number of chances we had we could and should have sown the game up at half time, sometimes it just doesnt go into the net on somedays - the last 20 mins or so was frightening though, we seemed to pull back a bit and struggled to string passes together or hold onto the ball - partly our doing (we looked like we were tireing and broke down as an attacking unit) and Wolves were boyed up by the missed chances we hadn't taken!

Micha is looking better than last season but seems to wander, mentally, he must be doing something right to keep Zabba out of the team and I think in general he did OK.

No individual player stood out as poor yesterday, as I mentioned above I think we tired, Wolves got the bit between thier teath and although we defended as a unit our attacking presence fell to peices and the Wolves regained possesion too easily and attacked.

As has been mentioned plenty of times, we've got a great start and I think we're only seeing the 'tip of the iceberg' of our potential and Its looking great from my possition!

The thing that makes football so great is that a game might only last 90mins but the debate and disscussions go on for days afterwards! Something that I fear may reduce somewhat if they start bringing in Technology etc.
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Dazzacity » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:13 am

I think we done really well yesterday. Just down to a few players not takin their chances as to why its wasnt 4 or 5.That will come after a few games and when the players get into a ryrthem..
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby everyonehatesus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:39 am

Well im pleased so far and think that we are bloody lucky with the first 3 games we have been given. These games will allow us to push a few idea's round, try and click before we get a bigger team to play, so thats a big thank you to the FA.
I also think that a teams going to get a spanking from soon, I did see some play breaking down and the odd out of position player but this will all be sorted in training.
We have the team selection and staff to push this club forward and i can only be excited with all things Blue.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby john@staustell » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:45 am

Quite interesting that we are debating the merits of some very classy players here (I thought Robbie had a good game btw).

Long way back to the days of Tony Vaughn and Ged Brannan etc.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby kinsey » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:18 pm

john@staustell wrote:Quite interesting that we are debating the merits of some very classy players here (I thought Robbie had a good game btw).

Long way back to the days of Tony Vaughn and Ged Brannan etc.

Indeed!

Things are looking good.
- The fixture list has been kind as well giving us a relatively easy start.
- Hughes' policy of going for tried and tested Premiership players has been vindicated (so far) with Barry, Adebayor and Toure all hitting the ground running, ably assisted by January's input of Bridge, Bellamy and Given.
- The team is gelling: I would be more concerned if they were not creating chances.
- Never mind the pundits and their "How will he keep them all happy?" This season is probably the best ever to have a strong squad because of the extra capacity for substitutes this season. How much harder would the manager's job be if he had expensive internationals who did not even have a place on the bench?
- There are more signings to come, now, in January and for the foreseeable future.
- The owners seem to understand how important the fans are at the club - even the ground seems to be now like "home" what with all the banners and "first match" stuff.

Some things don't change though
- My God! The other team managed to have a couple of shots!
A lot of fans were just waiting to pounce yesterday like vultures, on Dunne especially. I can recall only one bad pass from him yesterday when he hit a firm low pass straight through to their keeper but defensively, he was sound. Talk of Wolves cutting us up yesterday is ridiculous - they had one half chance and one real chance, both of which came from Toure failing to deal with a high ball through the middle. Other than that, I have been very impressed by Toure but I find it embarassing that people think he can walk on water and give him 3,4 or even 5 more marks out of ten than they have given Dunne. I have liked Dunne in the past and also recognised when he has cost us points. He may well not be part of our long term future but let's show a bit of fairness here (never mind respect) before dancing on his grave and turning him into the new Richard Edghill.
kinsey
Robinho's Step Over

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum