Silvinho signs (merged)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Silvinho

Postby Biamp » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:15 am

He would be a good signing IMO.
Biamp
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 am

Good shit, this should either force Bridge to up his game, or give us a decent replacement if he doesn't.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:43 am

Elmundodeportivo actually reports that he signed yesterday. They're not as wild as Marca and wouldn't usually say something like that if false:

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/2009 ... -city.html

I'll translate the first para and post anything else interesting:

Silvio Mendes has seen the market mature more than anyone (known how to play the market?). The 35-year old Brazilian full back, who has just finished his contract with Barcelona, yesterday signed a deal with Manchester City for one season. Medal-winner in the historic triple in occasions like the CL final, Sylvinho will return to play at a team with the biggest aspirations, thanks to his patience.

Says the signing has been very rapid. We took advantage of the visit to Barca last weds and a deal was reached on Thurs with his agent. Player and agent were both in Manchester YESTERDAY TO FINISH THE DEAL.

Same agent as Puyol, who still hasn't given us an answer and, as we have signed Toure and Lescott, can now, I guess, sod of! (my bit)
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:54 am

Obviously the PL is a different kettle of fish to La Liga but everytime I've seen Silvinho playing over there; he's coped comfortably, as he did v the rags. Actually he's looked shit hot.

By signing a bloke who's 35 & only here for a short spell, we're not putting a huge future obstacle in the way of Ryan McGivern & of course Nils Zander who was supposed to be the dogs bollox & on the verge of the Shalke team when we signed him. If either or both of them show enough to step up, they still have a direct route to the 1st team squad, if not we have Silvinho. Good move if true.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:55 am

Apart from Marca, which doesn't really count, this isn't carried anywhere else in Spain. So if MD is right, it truly is an exclusive and should be on SSN by lunchtime Tuesday!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:55 am

Would had a wealth of experience to a relatively youthful side, played with Arsenal and Barcelona so can play football the right way, and even if we only get 1 season out of him, could be a good addition if he indeed was to join.

Garrido doesn't seem to be in the managers long term plans and IMHO McGivern is still at least 1 maybe 2 seasons away yet from putting in the big league and holding his own on a consistant basis, the odd game here and there is not a problem, but for a sustained period of time should Bridge go back to last seasons form (started well by the way I think...Bridge), we would need someone who can step upto the plate right away, if that isn't to be Javier, then we will need a fresh experienced player in before deadline day.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 am

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:Would had a wealth of experience to a relatively youthful side, played with Arsenal and Barcelona so can play football the right way, and even if we only get 1 season out of him, could be a good addition if he indeed was to join.

Garrido doesn't seem to be in the managers long term plans and IMHO McGivern is still at least 1 maybe 2 seasons away yet from putting in the big league and holding his own on a consistant basis, the odd game here and there is not a problem, but for a sustained period of time should Bridge go back to last seasons form (started well by the way I think...Bridge), we would need someone who can step upto the plate right away, if that isn't to be Javier, then we will need a fresh experienced player in before deadline day.

We find ourselves in agreement. May even displace Bridge sometimes. Garrido is pants and I'm not sure about McGiven. Reckon that Nils Zander lad from Schalke will get through first.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Fish111 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:19 am

Will be great cover for Wayne Bridge as McGivern isn't ready yet to play in the team for any length of time if Bridge gets injured, i think Hughes also would like to keep Lescott in the CB position as much as possible.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:25 am

He would be a excellent squad player in a area where we dont have any quality cover and is more than good enough to keep Bridge on his toes. He's played with Arsenal and Barca and Brazil. He's a winner.

Would suggest that a Centre Half is on the way out though. I thought Lescott would come in as a centre half and cover for left back.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:34 am

We should consider that McGivern is already a full international folks & looking pretty ok at that level, before writing him off! Could end up as a CB though. Thought he was excellent at CB in Africa.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Vhero » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 am

Could he be this years Berti?
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:54 am

Is this on the OS? Or has it not gone through yet?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby ant london » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:07 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Is this on the OS? Or has it not gone through yet?

you're always asking stupid questions like this???? ;-)

can you not access the OS? or are the keys m c f and o broken on your computer?

just this once I shall confirm that no, it is not on the OS....it's been reported in several places. None of which have too much credibility in my eyes to be honest. I've heard it reported that he was at the Wolves game too. I think the link makes sense but I have yet to hear anything from any source I'd put any faith in.

Capiche?
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13 am

ant london wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Is this on the OS? Or has it not gone through yet?

you're always asking stupid questions like this???? ;-)

can you not access the OS? or are the keys m c f and o broken on your computer?

just this once I shall confirm that no, it is not on the OS....it's been reported in several places. None of which have too much credibility in my eyes to be honest. I've heard it reported that he was at the Wolves game too. I think the link makes sense but I have yet to hear anything from any source I'd put any faith in.

Capiche?

I'm in work Ant you twat! The OS is crap on my work comp...takes forever to come up and is slow as fuck! So do one! ;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:22 am

It'll be a good signing this if it comes off. We need LB cover and Silvinho is not just gonna cover Bridge he'll probably push him for a start. He was class when i saw him play in the chumps league final imo and for free you can't go wrong.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:49 am

No new reports from Spain since the MD one from 5 hours ago saying he signed yesterday.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby ant london » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:55 am

john@staustell wrote:No new reports from Spain since the MD one from 5 hours ago saying he signed yesterday.

I've just seen something which directly quotes his agent saying that they spoke to us a while ago and that contact has been recently re-established....that he's in contact with us and is waiting for our offer

Don't know how old the quote is (ie. the article is new but whether the quote comes from today, yesterday or before I don't know)

But seems like the story has some basis
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Wooders » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:07 pm

word has it mcgivern and Nils Zander are gonna give bridge a run for his money at LB this season so it sounds like this one isn't true
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:39 pm

Didn't he play in the Champion's League final and was absolutely bossing the defense?
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:17 pm

10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext