Chairman Video Interview

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Chairman Video Interview

Postby Blue Noodle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:23 pm

I effing love our owners, but honestly, whos sock do we have to cuck to get a name check?
I'm not volunteering btw.
Blue Noodle
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby irblinx » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Typical, sounds like a great interview and my broadband is down. Can't view the OS vids on the phone :o(

having said that even without seeing it I know the guy will be oozing class as usual. Coolest chairman in football
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:13 pm

All I can say is WOW. What a cool and classy guy is Khaldoon. Liked what he said about the aquisitons and future plans for the Club.
Very smartly dodged the question about what are our targets for this season ! Why commit to top 6 when we can (and should)
do better. We are in good hands.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby City1970 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:16 pm

Great interview, and it shows the forward thinking vision of those in charge.

Not bothered about the blue moan name check, this site will soon be where we belong. When it comes down to the wire, quality is always more satisfying the quantity.
Manchester City - F**king up U****d since 2009
City1970
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Err...guess
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby sweenyuk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:01 pm

How many of us expected 12 months ago for our foreign owners to be able to name so many of our academy players without needing a piece of paper as a reminder. Yes I know Micah and Superman should trip off his tongue, but how many times has Johnson played or Weiss when he has been at the ground..?? This guy knows everything that is happening at our club, makes no promises he can't keep and talks better english than any american owners
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:02 pm

Pure quality.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Goataldo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:31 pm

Damn but he comes across well. He could make the most cynical, pessemistic city fan feel confident about the future.

And he does!
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby sidSmith » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:08 pm

That's brilliant. Proud that he's the public face of our owners.

Not so proud of the interviewer, what a numpty!
sidSmith
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby pride in battle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Now!! That is how a chairman should be, all cool yet still giving the answers that are needed, i am pretty impressed and long may it continue.
YOU DON'T NEED EYES TO SEE, YOU NEED VISION !
pride in battle
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby rick1894citizen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:04 pm

Brilliant interview and so chuffed that sheikh Mansour is our owner and Khaldoon our chairman, it's like winning the euro millions roll over. This is going to be an unforgettable season imo.
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Lee_Kinda » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Great interview!

I was so impressed by how well he knows the club and the players, it really does show how wrong the doubters are and just re-affirms what they have said about the importance of the club and the fans to them.
"We are evolving" "we are keeping our soul" two parts I thought were great!

sick of the clubs ongoing arse licking of bluemoon!
Lee_Kinda
De Jong's Tackle

Postby lythamblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:06 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:I wasn't keen at all on that interview. Very Garry Cookish inspired and just throwing platitudes to the fans every 30 seconds to get us thinking we are the centre of their universe. Felt more like a party political broadcast sponsored by Bluemoon than real insight into who Khaldoon actually is and what he does as Chairman. :-(

Come on MRM ..... it wasn't that bad!

OK, I'm also not naive enough not to realise that was staged for our benefit. I also accept that it wasn't live, will have been strongly edited, might have even been shot many times with even an autocue in front to him and will have not been released until scrutinsed and approved by our PR & Media Executives ...... BUT .......

You can't actually criticise the points brought up as they have so far been model owners and delivered on every promise so far.

However, he does talk about how successful we have been, but unlike any other business, a football club success can only utimately be judged by the amount of trophies they put in the cabinet in the next few years. Therefore, so far you could argue 'What Success?

Success is not signing top players ..... it is getting them to win top trophies.

But I must admit, he is a cool dude, great front man and makes his other Premier League Chairman compatriots look like amateurs. In summary, I believe in the intentions and the ability to pull them off .... but like you, I don't neccessarily fall for the staged interviews though.

Finally, it would seem a shame that Bluemoon would have appeared to stolen the march on us and are now considered the 'voice of our fans'. By the Club anyway.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby irblinx » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:39 am

Finally got back on line and the first order of business was to watch the video and it didn't disappoint, Khaldoon is a class act and the core message was one that most of us have been making for some time, i.e. that rather than City having lost it's soul the Sheikh has in fact given it back to us.

MRM out! As for the possibility of there being numerous takes as lythamblue suggests, if there were I'd bet that Khaldoon didn't cause them to be required. He is slick as hell and whilst not word perfect he is articulate and considered in everything he says. A great appointment and the best chairman that we've seen in the top flight in my memory
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:44 am

irblinx wrote:MRM out!

LOL ;-)

If you can't see the amercianised marketing job been done on the supporters then fair enough. In a couple of years time when season tickets go up to £700 you'll be back to my way of thinking.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby ant london » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:53 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:

LOL ;-)

If you can't see the amercianised marketing job been done on the supporters then fair enough. In a couple of years time when season tickets go up to £700 you'll be back to my way of thinking.

It's not inconceivable that this could happen MRM but I still doubt that it would.

You cannot compare the long-term goals of a very profit-focussed US sporting team franchise owner with those of a petrodollar gazillionaire who has a sporting portfolio that is very much directed at raising certain profiles and augmenting visibility.

Whilst I wholly agree that the techniques being employed are very similar. I think the aims diverge hugely.

Even by milking City for all the club/brand/earnings potential is worth (even under the most wildly optimistic scenarios)....the Sheikh can only make a piddling difference to his overall wealth and income generation. He could put up prices hugely....but why bother when all that would happen is that the press would dive on it and all the positive PR and profile that MCFC had generated for him would be wiped out in a jiffy.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:02 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:

LOL ;-)

What would they gain by doing that?

Can't see how they'd gain anything by pricing fans out of the market. Do you really think Abu Dhabi would buy City to make money? They made £1.5 billion from Barclays in a few months. They could buy every big football club in the world & charge every supporter £1,000 a game & it still wouldn't even register compared to the money these guys are dealing in. Why would they need to fleece fans? What would that bring them other than bad publicity? Clawing back a few quid? Why? What would they do with the money?

If you can give me one genuine financial scenario where you think Abu Dhabi would see Manchester City as a good way of making money, I'll take it seriously, otherwise...
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:05 am

Because Ant, after the publicity they have gotten for UAE tourism board which is getting pretty saturated already after 12 months, I firmly believe this is a 10 year investment project to make City into the next Real Madrid. Our owner buys and sells businesses on a daily basis. He gets huge satisifaction from buying low and selling high.

But this was not my main point on this subject, my point was about Garry Cook. His techniques are straight out of peer-2-peer marketing class 101. Its good that the club are embracing the fans but don't be fooled that Garry has supporter's needs at the heart of the club - its the money we have in our wallets is all Garry really cares about. He's just buttering everyone up nicely.

Good marketing but not inventive marketing.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:13 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Because Ant, after the publicity they have gotten for UAE tourism board which is getting pretty saturated already after 12 months, I firmly believe this is a 10 year investment project to make City into the next Real Madrid. Our owner buys and sells businesses on a daily basis. He gets huge satisifaction from buying low and selling high.

But this was not my main point on this subject, my point was about Garry Cook. His techniques are straight out of peer-2-peer marketing class 101. Its good that the club are embracing the fans but don't be fooled that Garry has supporter's needs at the heart of the club - its the money we have in our wallets is all Garry really cares about. He's just buttering everyone up nicely.

Good marketing but not inventive marketing.
\

On the Cook point, I agree. But at least it feels nice as they are preparing to lighten your wallet

On the Sheikh point, I think you are pretty off the mark in terms of his investment strategy. His investment funds have been my clients for the last 4 years and I assure you that Manchester City certainly does not fall within the category of his normal investment profile (ie the ones that are intended to make real, serious profit).

If you want a parallel then this investment can be compared very closely to their investment into the Ferrari formula 1 team. There is no way that they will make a direct profit (or a significant one) in selling on that investment. Nor do I think they would make much of one (or at least not one that would be "material" for them) from Manchester City after the money they paid, plus the money pumped in.....even after 10 years. For that cash, over 10 years you could make MUCH more money in another sector.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:22 am

Yes I agree its not an normal investment strategy in terms of profits, it's a personal investment strategy of saying I took a no mark lower mid table Premiership team (who just so happens to be right next store to one of the biggest football brand in the world) and turned them into the biggest team/brand in the world.

He'll then sell the club to the highest bidder and start again on another project I'm sure, maybe even making the UAE league competitive with his new found knowledge? I bet that could be Khaldoon's next big plan.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:29 am

Well if he were to do that, I for one would have absolutely NO issues with it whatsoever.

We'd be left with a better club, after a period of Sheikh-financed success

Sounds good to me
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum