Final piece of the Jigsaw

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Final piece of the Jigsaw

Postby citytillidie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:21 pm

I think that the signing of Lescott is the final piece of the Jigsaw, no extreme predictions like we are going to win the league, but i truely belive now we have a quality team with quality back up in all positions.
One which can definatly compete with the 'top 4' I think that we will be a major threat to them now!
citytillidie
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Re: Final piece of the Jigsaw

Postby john68 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:28 pm

I think Lescott could well be the final piece of this phase.
We have sought to buy players who can challenge the top four in England.
We have hardly started to recruit the superstars who might take us to challenge the top European sides.
The target will soon be to beat Barca in the CL Final not just a friendly.
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby blue rinse » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Showing my age now but the last CH we bought from Everton was Heslop? and you what we did with him in the team !
blue rinse
Negouai's Red Cards

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:56 pm

blue rinse wrote:Showing my age now but the last CH we bought from Everton was Heslop? and you what we did with him in the team !

Guess again....

...and you know what we did with him in the team!
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Grob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:59 pm

john68 wrote:I think Lescott could well be the final piece of this phase.

Agree.

There may be lower level transfers to fill in the squad ala the rumoured Sylvinho deal.

Also im sure if that marquee player becomes available, we will take them. After the business we have achieved this summer, we must look a more attractive prospect to the Villa's, Torres's, Ribery's of this world.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby john68 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:12 pm

My thoughts entirely Grob Mate...We need the players at this level to create the success that could bring in the truly great players.

If I was a top four manager, I would be starting to become very frightened at what is happening at City. I would be worrying that City's chances of hitting the top four have increased. I would be scared that it might be my team that falls out.

Now it's time to raise our game as fans and put in a better performance in the noise and atmosphere department than we did versus Wolves. The Wolves fans battered us in the "support your team" stakes.
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:13 pm

Defo the final piece for me, also provides cover for Bridge when he's injured (unless the Slyvinho rumours are true). Great signing by the club, can't wait too see him in action.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:15 pm

I agree if you are with me and think we have just finished this jigsaw...

We have bought prem proven players to establish a firm foundation for the next 2-5 years. It was a pretty basic plan but a good plan nevertheless.

Next year we start on this jigsaw...

and then the REAL fun begins, but also the frustrations of trying to fit all the pieces together, its gets a lot tougher when you aim to win the league compared to finishing top 6.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Blackadder2 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:16 pm

I still have a feeling we may go in for another creative midfielder this window. If Barry or Ireland are unavailable we look a bit lacking in that department.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.
Blackadder2
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe

Postby Blackadder2 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:18 pm

I still have a feeling we may go in for another creative midfielder this window. If Barry or Ireland are unavailable we look a bit lacking in that department.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.
Blackadder2
De Michelis's Pace

My favourite player is: Uwe

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:21 pm

- - - - - - - - - - - - Given

- - Zaba - - Toure - - Lescott - - Bridge

- - - - - - - - - - - - de Jong

- - - - - - - - - Ireland - - Barry

- - - Tevez - - - Adebayor - - - Robinho

Is what I believe our strongest squad is, and before people start I have took SWP out and put Nige in because I believe it alows Barry and Ireland to link up further up the field and this will be devastating for the rest of the Prem because they will provide chance after chance for the front 3. Nige can they sit in front of what will be a very solid back 4, making us even harder to break down, especially away from home. just my opinion though. ;-)

(SWP would see alot more game time at home however Ned would rotate with both centre halfs)
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby shawzy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:32 pm

When you compare our squad to the scum.Only Vidic,Evra and Rooney stand out for me.I think were better than them,playerwise.
One think iv noticed this season is the unity of the squad.Have you noticed when we score a goal the players all come together and celebrate in unison.
Im also glad we are hated by everyone.The team will be stronger mentally and we can use this hatred as an advantage.
On Lescott..Well at long last the manager has got his man.A crackin CB and will strengthen our weaknesses at the back...Bit overpriced but im sure we well get a good return from him.
Really happy days bein a blue.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Twobob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:43 pm

10.Goater_Legend wrote:- - - - - - - - - - - - Given

Is what I believe our strongest squad is, and before people start I have took SWP out and put Nige in because I believe it alows Barry and Ireland to link up further up the field and this will be devastating for the rest of the Prem because they will provide chance after chance for the front 3. Nige can they sit in front of what will be a very solid back 4, making us even harder to break down, especially away from home. just my opinion though. ;-)

(SWP would see alot more game time at home however Ned would rotate with both centre halfs)

That would be my away from home team - must disagree though when people mention rotating cb's - you dont do that unless you have to do through injury or suspension
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby JonnyAsh » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Maybe the last piece, but if there are players good enough on the market, who will improve us further, we should still make a move. I hear the Spuds are bidding £10m for Joe Cole, I know he's had injury problems, but fully fit, he would be a great addition, and I would hate to see him wasted down with Twitcher
JonnyAsh
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Trautmann » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:38 am

Remains to be seen whether the back line stabilizes and deals effectively with crosses and long balls into the box. You could see how Mick McCarthy and his assistant figured out how to open us up by the end of the first half--this is our achilles heel.
Trautmann
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Superman's Underpants

Postby Dingus McDouchey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:14 am

10.Goater_Legend wrote:- - - - - - - - - - - - Given

i think that Ireland and SWP linking further up the field would be more trouble to defenses than Barry and Ireland.
Either is a good option, but SWP's pace would be more dangerous no?
Berbatov wins golden boot, spends following season on the bench while his team loses title on goal difference. Well played, Fergie.
Dingus McDouchey
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby King Kev » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:31 am

Far from being the final piece in the jigsaw I reckon it is a pointless and ridiculous signing.

I have nothing against the player, he is pretty good but I really can't understand why we bought him. I could understand our pursuit of Terry as he would be an improvement on what we have already at the club but is Lescott really going to take us to the next level? I think not.

I know money isn't really an issue for City anymore but to pay £24m for Lescott makes us look stupid and desperate. We should have maintained a bit of dignity and walked away when the fee being discussed passed the £15m mark.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Crossie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:28 am

Hmmmm I think I agree, he isnt worth 24 million, IF thats what we paid.

Lescott is not a god, he is not a Terry/ F**dinand by any means, he makes mistakes, gets out of position and does switch off from time to time, however he comes in his his fair share of goals, and gives us height and power where Dunney / Toure / Onouha dont.

He isnt the final piece, but im glad Hughes has obviously got a player he really wanted. So lets see what happens. Hope he starts on Thursday
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby ant london » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:42 am

King Kev wrote:Far from being the final piece in the jigsaw I reckon it is a pointless and ridiculous signing.

I have nothing against the player, he is pretty good but I really can't understand why we bought him. I could understand our pursuit of Terry as he would be an improvement on what we have already at the club but is Lescott really going to take us to the next level? I think not.

It gives us a centre half who can play football better with the ball at his feet than Richard Dunne

It gives us a defender who is better in the air than Richard Dunne

It gives us a player who is less prone to being sent off than joint Premier League red card record-holder Richard Dunne

and a player who has quite a good (opposition) goal return when compared to ALL our defenders

It is massively overpriced but Barry was hugely underpriced. Net position between the two is about right (and yes we did overpay for the strikers...but they are strikers and we are the richest club in the world, that doesn't surprise me).

He's not as good as John Terry but he's an England international also, he's younger and less injury prone and he's a massive improvement on Dunnie for my munnie
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby razor400 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:23 pm

Whoops wrong thread
Last edited by razor400 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum