Anyone actually enjoy the game on Saturday?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Anyone actually enjoy the game on Saturday?

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:30 am

I did.
I thought the first half included some breath taking football. We completely dominated and it looked like men against boys. Even the Wolves fans recognised that they were being battered.
So okay we didn't finish them off, but that will come. The main thing was that by and large, we were comfortable at the back and had imagination and enterprise on the attack. And this is during that supposed 'difficult to gel' period.
Add that to some very entertaining company in the battle cruiser before and after the game (and some tip top weather) and it was a jolly fun day out.
I feel incredibly positive about all things Blue at the mo. I even dreamt about us tonking Arsenal last night.
But there is still some pretty critical opinions floating about. I'm not sure what you want, but I've waited a long time to see City play football in this manner and I love it.
Come on blues
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Re: Anyone actually enjoy the game on Saturday?

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:34 am

I wasnt at the game but i thoroughly enjoyed the game on the net, in saying that i always love city games win lose or draw ;)
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:59 am

I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did everyone around me, until the last 20 mins when I was more concerned by what the reaction by the miserables would be if Wolves scored than I was about the actual result. I was dreading it because it could've had such a detrimental effect on the season if they'd all started on the radio & here + other fan sites. The press would've loved it & fed it. When the whistle went & we hadn't conceded a goal like we always do year in year out, I was absolutely delighted.

At least a couple of people near me who'd spent the 1st 70 mins cheering & saying how fantastic the football was came out saying it was shit & making up various reasons to complain about team selection etc which hadn't earlier been a problem. The prospect of listening to that everywhere & setting the tone for the season was really awful so I was made up when we won. That we didn't actually let them have a real goalscoring chance apart from that one lump up field & poor header from Toure pleased me no end. That certainly wasn't 'typical City'.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beeks » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:01 am

I was glad we won...but walked out of the ground strangely unsatisfied...considering we got 3 points it unsettled me...and it seems i'm not the only one...no idea why...perhaps we are still of the mentality that 1 goal is never enough at City...fuck...I remember being 3 nil up and still biting my nails...suppose my mentality as well as others will need to change and might count for the lack of atmosphere in the ground on Saturday too...I think everyone was genuinely nervous
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby nickson71 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:03 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I was glad we won...but walked out of the ground strangely unsatisfied...considering we got 3 points it unsettled me...and it seems i'm not the only one...no idea why...perhaps we are still of the mentality that 1 goal is never enough at City...fuck...I remember being 3 nil up and still biting my nails...suppose my mentality as well as others will need to change and might count for the lack of atmosphere in the ground on Saturday too...I think everyone was genuinely nervous

That near enough sums up the way I felt
nickson71
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did everyone around me, until the last 20 mins when I was more concerned by what the reaction by the miserables would be if Wolves scored than I was about the actual result. I was dreading it because it could've had such a detrimental effect on the season if they'd all started on the radio & here + other fan sites. The press would've loved it & fed it. When the whistle went & we hadn't conceded a goal like we always do year in year out, I was absolutely delighted.

At least a couple of people near me who'd spent the 1st 70 mins cheering & saying how fantastic the football was came out saying it was shit & making up various reasons to complain about team selection etc which hadn't earlier been a problem. The prospect of listening to that everywhere & setting the tone for the season was really awful so I was made up when we won. That we didn't actually let them have a real goalscoring chance apart from that one lump up field & poor header from Toure pleased me no end. That certainly wasn't 'typical City'.

The main thrust of your post is bob on. It's about setting the tone for the season.
The win at Blackburn rids us of that 'can't win away' monkey. Equally following it by beating a poor Wolves team helps dispel that Typical City thing we have going on.
Bish's hair, just relax and enjoy it, it's gonna be crazy baby! More fun than City fans have had for years.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dazzacity » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:07 am

I enjoyed the performance on the field,was great. Was really passin and movin well and puttin the pressure on when we didnt have the ball. Think everyone put in a great shift although heads started to drop in the second. Was just a pity our lads in the stands didnt pick it up a little.

Should have been 4 or 5..
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ant london » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:07 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I did.
I thought the first half included some breath taking football. We completely dominated and it looked like men against boys. Even the Wolves fans recognised that they were being battered.
So okay we didn't finish them off, but that will come. The main thing was that by and large, we were comfortable at the back and had imagination and enterprise on the attack. And this is during that supposed 'difficult to gel' period.
Add that to some very entertaining company in the battle cruiser before and after the game (and some tip top weather) and it was a jolly fun day out.
I feel incredibly positive about all things Blue at the mo. I even dreamt about us tonking Arsenal last night.
But there is still some pretty critical opinions floating about. I'm not sure what you want, but I've waited a long time to see City play football in this manner and I love it.
Come on blues

Great post Piccadildo my man

I was actually thinking the same. I rewatched the highlights yesterday and, well, we were bloody magic (esp in the first half). Some of the stuff was just deeeelicious. Noel Gallagher summed it up quite well when he said that that game was quite similar to Portsmouth at home last year....apart from the fact that EVERYTHING went in last year only one did this.

Look at it realistically.

Robinho's tight angled shot was a brilliant reflex save by Henessey
Ireland would score that 98 times out of a hundred
Tevez probably should've got that header on target
The lovely one that Stevie cushioned off for Ade to put it straight at the keeper
Bellamy missing that absolute sitter

We could have easily won 3-0 and could conceivably have put 6 or 7 in. It was just one of those days. BUT the football in parts, going forward was magnificent

I think this opening from the Telegraph's report today sums it up for me...

Even the handsome trophy haul delivered by José Mourinho could not prevent Roman Abramovich feeling dissatisfied by Chelsea’s lack of flair and charisma. Manchester City, similarly awash with cash since the takeover by Sheikh Mansour, appear less willing to sacrifice style for silverware. City’s victory over a spirited Wolves was only a distant relation to the attritional 1-0 wins which Chelsea ground out. Their expansive game was replete with sumptuous touches from Emmanuel Adebayor, Carlos Tévez and Robinho.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... solve.html

Sure there are lots of things that are still to work on but if that is how we can play when we still need some "time to gel"....then fuck me, are we in for a treat this season.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:07 am

nickson71 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I was glad we won...but walked out of the ground strangely unsatisfied...considering we got 3 points it unsettled me...and it seems i'm not the only one...no idea why...perhaps we are still of the mentality that 1 goal is never enough at City...fuck...I remember being 3 nil up and still biting my nails...suppose my mentality as well as others will need to change and might count for the lack of atmosphere in the ground on Saturday too...I think everyone was genuinely nervous

That near enough sums up the way I felt

I left the ground thinking, "If we just pop one or two of those chances away, we'll fucking destroy teams playing like that" I was pretty happy with it. I've certainly seen a lot worse!
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dazzacity » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:08 am

We should have had a pen as well!!
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:14 am

Overall I really enjoyed it. The reason some may have felt a bit unsatisied with the result is just a reflection of how good we actually were in the first half, when we should easily have been 3 nil up.

Inevitably, we'll have the usual mongs on here giving out that "we could have been beaten by a championship side" and all that bollox, but folk who actually watched without bias will see that if we play like we did in the first half, for the first half of every game, most games will be over by half time.

And for all those who say we have a shit defence and that certain players are no good - you really should wait at least until we concede ONE goal before you spout such shit... otherwise you look fucking foolish.
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:18 am

Exasperation, trepidation and relief spring to mind! And did I enjoy it, in the words of Churchill, 'Ohhhh Yessss'!!!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Dazzacity » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:24 am

Original Dub wrote:Overall I really enjoyed it. The reason some may have felt a bit unsatisied with the result is just a reflection of how good we actually were in the first half, when we should easily have been 3 nil up.

Inevitably, we'll have the usual mongs on here giving out that "we could have been beaten by a championship side" and all that bollox, but folk who actually watched without bias will see that if we play like we did in the first half, for the first half of every game, most games will be over by half time.

And for all those who say we have a shit defence and that certain players are no good - you really should wait at least until we concede ONE goal before you spout such shit... otherwise you look fucking foolish.

Who has been sayin our defence is shit?? its looked pretty good so far this season but I think you will agree it defo needed tweaking last season. Think Lescott will really help tighen it up. And Silvinho?? Has he signed?? We have improved defensively throughout the field with players closin down and puttin constant pressure on the opposition. Couldnt believe how much pressure Adebayor was creatin !
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:29 am

Original Dub wrote:Overall I really enjoyed it. The reason some may have felt a bit unsatisied with the result is just a reflection of how good we actually were in the first half, when we should easily have been 3 nil up.

The big question then is; have we now got what it takes to come back when we do concede a goal or will it be something we have to build over the season? Chelsea have already proved they've still got it & imo, that could be the main thing that decides whether or not we can compete with them this season. We have the talent, can we get the workrate, organisation & willpower together quickly enough to win games from behind or are we still lacking? If Wolves had scored, would we have found another winner like the rags have done for years? It didn't seem like it Saturday but it is very early days.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john68 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:43 am

Ant....that PICCADILDO...If only you had you seen those flowery shorts....PMSL.

1st game of the season...meeting up in the Townley...all those new quality signings...I was already buzzin pre match.
I thouroughly enjoyed the game. We played some great football going forward, we created chance after chance, even missing so many became funny in a "typical City" sort of way.
The save by Given and them hitting the woodwork gave us just the right amount of tension to retain that "shit! will they, won't they interest.
For those who are playing the "could have, should have game"...we "could" have scored 8..I counted 'em on MOTD. on and most of them "should" have gone in. I left the game with 6pts in my head from 2 games, 2 banana skins out of the way, enough awe at our attacking play and a little bit of the... "we are still vulnerable" uncertainty, to keep us on our toes.

Top day all round.....But those flowered shorts of Piccs...weeeeelll!....maybe in Yorkshire mate....and with gym pumps too...:-)
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:57 am

john68 wrote:Ant....that PICCADILDO...If only you had you seen those flowery shorts....PMSL.

1st game of the season...meeting up in the Townley...all those new quality signings...I was already buzzin pre match.
I thouroughly enjoyed the game. We played some great football going forward, we created chance after chance, even missing so many became funny in a "typical City" sort of way.
The save by Given and them hitting the woodwork gave us just the right amount of tension to retain that "shit! will they, won't they interest.
For those who are playing the "could have, should have game"...we "could" have scored 8..I counted 'em on MOTD. on and most of them "should" have gone in. I left the game with 6pts in my head from 2 games, 2 banana skins out of the way, enough awe at our attacking play and a little bit of the... "we are still vulnerable" uncertainty, to keep us on our toes.

Top day all round.....But those flowered shorts of Piccs...weeeeelll!....maybe in Yorkshire mate....and with gym pumps too...:-)

Quality summer attire and Converse trainees....It's the way forward.
Perhaps we should all be wearing jesus boots! Then again...Perhaps not
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Perhaps we should all be wearing jesus boots!

Nike Air Nazareth?

ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:02 pm

ant london wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Perhaps we should all be wearing jesus boots!

Nike Air Nazareth?

Ha ha.
They are a bit like John's, but his were the low quality Hi Tec version
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wooders » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:03 pm

I did enjoy it, we showed against them, and blackburn that we've improved in so far as playing against teams that are setup to defend. McCarthy's men were there for a point and we broke down their defence on many occasions
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:18 pm

I've just watched the highlights and even in the second half, when the general concensus was that we were poor, we still created some gilt edged chances.
We'd have killed to see a performance like that even eighteen months ago.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum