Richard Dunne

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Richard Dunne

Postby ant london » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:39 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Ah fair enough...however the mass hysteria surrounding Dunne has mystified me...the first half of the season i'll be the first to admit he was piss poor. However...after his enforced break he came back strong. The guy is still relatively youngish and if O'Neil is sniffing round him he cannot be discounted as a poor player...I just get the feeling that if we get rid he will come back to haunt us

Honestly, you know what mate...I hope he does just that.

I want him to go somewhere and be valued as a player for the last few years of his top flight career....leaving for a decent fee and being welcomed with open arms at his new club. NOT sticking around here, playing a bit part on the fringe of the first team, his value plummetting as a result and him slipping out of the back door in 6-12 months and most people saying "ah so what, he never plays anyway" and him not being missed.

This way, he goes to AVFC, he plays every week...and when he comes back to Eastlands for the first time. he'll get a massive reception....maybe scores a header (for them) just for extra bonus points.

I honestly do think it's the best thing for him and for City
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:44 pm

ant london wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Ah fair enough...however the mass hysteria surrounding Dunne has mystified me...the first half of the season i'll be the first to admit he was piss poor. However...after his enforced break he came back strong. The guy is still relatively youngish and if O'Neil is sniffing round him he cannot be discounted as a poor player...I just get the feeling that if we get rid he will come back to haunt us

I want him to go somewhere and be valued as a player for the last few years of his top flight career....leaving for a decent fee and being welcomed with open arms at his new club. NOT sticking around here, playing a bit part on the fringe of the first team, his value plummetting as a result and him slipping out of the back door in 6-12 months and most people saying "ah so what, he never plays anyway" and him not being missed.

This way, he goes to AVFC, he plays every week...and when he comes back to Eastlands for the first time. he'll get a massive reception....maybe scores a header (for them) just for extra bonus points.

Surely it would be more fitting if he put one in his own net for old times sake? He could give a little sheepish grin & a sentimental wave to the crowd.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beeks » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
ant london wrote:

Surely it would be more fitting if he put one in his own net for old times sake? He could give a little sheepish grin & a sentimental wave to the crowd.

The guys scored 6 own goals in his entire career...as a CB i'd say that was average...it was just unlucky that he had a spate of them in a short time frame
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:54 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
ant london wrote:

The guys scored 6 own goals in his entire career...as a CB i'd say that was average...it was just unlucky that he had a spate of them in a short time frame

Well that's an all time record in English top flight so I wouldn't say it's average by any standards.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:37 pm

Is the OG count more than the 'goals for' count then?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:40 pm

john@staustell wrote:Is the OG count more than the 'goals for' count then?

Nope! Richard has scored 7 for us
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:47 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Is the OG count more than the 'goals for' count then?

Nope! Richard has scored 7 for us

Phew it's a close run thing. If he plays on Sunday it could go either way!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby smurfsdabomb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:19 pm

[quote="Beanieboy"
I was not critcising Dunne in any way, i was criticising your post,....it was a WUM post, why not post the above 1st time? at least here you give an opinion instead of just stating that Dunne is 3 times the player Lescott is, witch is still an utter bullshit statement.
don't agree with all of what you say above, such as the CB's having to score loads, where did i say that? never have, never will, but every goal a CB scores and earns us 1 or 3 points is a bonus and if done regularly has to be taken in to account when comparing 2 players.[/quote]

How is praising the captain of the team the forum is dedicated to classed as a WUM post?
smurfsdabomb
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Beanieboy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:29 pm

smurfsdabomb wrote:[quote="Beanieboy"
I was not critcising Dunne in any way, i was criticising your post,....it was a WUM post, why not post the above 1st time? at least here you give an opinion instead of just stating that Dunne is 3 times the player Lescott is, witch is still an utter bullshit statement.
don't agree with all of what you say above, such as the CB's having to score loads, where did i say that? never have, never will, but every goal a CB scores and earns us 1 or 3 points is a bonus and if done regularly has to be taken in to account when comparing 2 players.

How is praising the captain of the team the forum is dedicated to classed as a WUM post?

The WUM bit isn't the praising of Dunne, it's the slagging of a new signing before he's kicked a ball, and the poke at the management with the "genius" comment for overpaying, witch has been discussed in multiple threads, so why keep bringing it up and trying to burst the positive balloon that seems to be floating aroud here lately? THAT is why it was a WUM post
Beanieboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Hazy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Bearing in my hand it has been like the Alamo at times, some thought must be given to the amount of last ditch stuff Dunnie has had to do. We have better players in Ned,Toure and Lescot, no problem with that.
Do we have a problem with Dunne as a player or as man no, will we need a squad yes will we get injuries, african cup call ups yes. Keep him and appreciate the fact we have a player like him 100% BLUE.
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:40 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Ah fair enough...however the mass hysteria surrounding Dunne has mystified me...the first half of the season i'll be the first to admit he was piss poor. However...after his enforced break he came back strong. The guy is still relatively youngish and if O'Neil is sniffing round him he cannot be discounted as a poor player...I just get the feeling that if we get rid he will come back to haunt us

spot on,

i for one dont want to see dunne leave, people seem to be jumping on dunnes back every time he does the slightest thing incorrect. people seem to forget micahs stupid leap in the air againist blackburn that was as much of a peno shout as dunnes tackle, toure was at fault for letting keogh in and hitting the crossbar, also toure had a few upfield punts that did'nt find their targets, one which went out over the throw line and wolves broke before micah could get back and it was dunne who cleared up.

dunne never wanted to be captain and he was never the going to be the all shouting bossing type. dunne knows his own capabilities and i think last season he spent too much time trying to educate micah. Dunne also has the respect of the squad, which was clearly seen when he scored againist portsmouth and was swampped by the players (look at micah). Dunne is best when he knows who is around him and is just let get on with his own game.

Dunne is 29/30, his best years are most definately not behind him and i am very happy with the way he has started the season.
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:46 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Ah fair enough...however the mass hysteria surrounding Dunne has mystified me...the first half of the season i'll be the first to admit he was piss poor. However...after his enforced break he came back strong. The guy is still relatively youngish and if O'Neil is sniffing round him he cannot be discounted as a poor player...I just get the feeling that if we get rid he will come back to haunt us

spot on,

i for one dont want to see dunne leave, people seem to be jumping on dunnes back every time he does the slightest thing incorrect. people seem to forget micahs stupid leap in the air againist blackburn that was as much of a peno shout as dunnes tackle, toure was at fault for letting keogh in and hitting the crossbar, also toure had a few upfield punts that did'nt find their targets, one which went out over the throw line and wolves broke before micah could get back and it was dunne who cleared up.

dunne never wanted to be captain and he was never the going to be the all shouting bossing type. dunne knows his own capabilities and i think last season he spent too much time trying to educate micah. Dunne also has the respect of the squad, which was clearly seen when he scored againist portsmouth and was swampped by the players (look at micah). Dunne is best when he knows who is around him and is just let get on with his own game.

Dunne is 29/30, his best years are most definately not behind him and i am very happy with the way he has started the season.

Good post, don't agree with it but it's a good post none the less.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ian494 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:58 pm

FA cup winners 2006 wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

spot on,

Good Post and I agree with all of it.
ian494
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Shegelu » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:04 am

john@staustell wrote:
smurfsdabomb wrote:I never said anything against stevie actually, I rate him as one of the best young talents in the league if not the best.

But Dunne is honestly a class player, yes he gets OGs and reds but that's probably because of how commited he is to marshaling his area. Jamie Carragher has a similar number of both, would you question his quality? I'll admit Dunne had a poor season by his standards last year but I genuinely believe that was partly down to him playing with a different CB partner every week and partly down to two very dodgy full-backs who are getting caught out of position all the time. Prior to that Dunne was consistently City's best player year after year, including their best season in recent times under Sven where he was arguably the best defender in the league.

But the very fact that you're criticising a centre back for not scoring goals tells me that you don't have a very good grasp on the time, this isn't easy mode FIFA, kid where every player on the team should be scoring in 17-0 wins. Dunne has been every bit as good as Toure this season in holding two clean sheets, a perfect record thus far. To replace him in that form undermines his captaincy and the very value of good form in the team. It's not good management and will seep down to other players on the team, I can't even emphasise how bad from a PR point of view it is to have a club legend, the captain, the centre back with a perfect record this season discarded like that for some guy who doesn't even have to earn his place, he gets into the side on reputation alone.

For me, it's that kind of player management that will prevent City from ever cracking the top 4. It's not all about individual talent, if you lose the team spirit, guidance and what the club really stands for suddenly you're left with a squad of people with no passion for the club or fans, who just want money and fame. I've always defended City and hoped it wouldn't turn into that but for me if Dunne leaves it'd disgust me what this club is turning into.

Smurfy - sorry mate but you're wrong, and I don't want to repeat all those past Dunney threads. Simple fact is he wont take us to CL. For all his bood and thunder tackling, there is the turning like a battleship, the OGs, the horrible slices, terrible attacking corners etc, even in his good years. Everyone else was shite, which is why he was often PoY!

Most importantly, and what a lot are missing, is that he doesn't know what to do with the ball at his feet. To get to the top we need a whole side of people who can play the ball, witness Mr Toure.

Mercifully you are not in charge of our budget to 'take Dunney over Lescott any day of the week'. I am prepared to trust the Everton fans' opinions (who watch him every week) as well as our own managers who are developing a pretty good transfer track record up to now.

I think he and Ned should be our back-ups, although Ned may well break through ahead of Lescott or Toure at some future point.

Granted that Dunne has never won prizes for dribbling, but for heavens sake, he's a CB. His passing on the other hand is excellent. Most games he will only make one or two passes that don't find their target. His passing stats this season are better than Toure's. I've not watched Lescott much, so time will tell about him. From last night's match, it seems that he is more imaginative in his passing, but not necessarily more accurate.

Dunne was a great workhorse and with Distin, he was one of the most CBs in the Prem. Since Distin left, his skills have been less consistent, but he is certainly still in the top 10 of Prem CBs.
Yo yo yo, TOP BANANA mate, tellin ya!
Shegelu
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Postby Mike J » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 am

i know we have to move on etc but i will genuinely be gutted to see dunnie leave.
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby smurfsdabomb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:01 am

Wouldn't agree with that, I think his best season was the season before last where he was paired with Micah and was excellent, forget top 10 Dunnie was top 5 easily that year. The only year he wasn't top 10 was last season and that could be due to a number of things but especially

1) Micah going to shit
2) Being paired with a different CB partner every week alternating between Micah, Vinny, Ned mainly.
3) Dodgy full-backs, I can't emphasise enough how much of a better player Corluka is than Micah.
smurfsdabomb
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Beanieboy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:33 pm

smurfsdabomb wrote:Wouldn't agree with that, I think his best season was the season before last where he was paired with Micah and was excellent, forget top 10 Dunnie was top 5 easily that year. The only year he wasn't top 10 was last season and that could be due to a number of things but especially

1) Micah going to shit
2) Being paired with a different CB partner every week alternating between Micah, Vinny, Ned mainly.
3) Dodgy full-backs, I can't emphasise enough how much of a better player Corluka is than Micah.

great,...maybe you can move on to a spurs board if they sign Petrov, then they will have two of Sven's boy's......all our players are crap anyway
Beanieboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Longball » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:54 pm

thanks for everything richard- best of luck in the future u legend!
Longball
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Oxfam
My favourite player is: Kompany

Postby SORTED » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:32 pm

You weren't a glamorous ball playing centre back Dunney, but you played like we wished we would given a chance. Thanks for the magnificent service big fella!
SORTED

Postby Curlie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:18 pm

He's not gone yet.
Would seem he is now back in Manchester looking a loyalty bonus.
God I hate that side of football and transfers.
City are coming to get you!
Curlie
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Nige

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum