Benjani

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Benjani

Postby PalmettoBlue » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:05 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Another Sven masterstroke signing that really needs to be shown the door.

I find this to be a bit harsh. I'm not arguing we keep him, but if I remember correctly Benjani came in when we had a striker crisis and scored some vital goals for us, including the derby. I'm not saying we need to keep him, but at least show the fella a bit of respect. It also strikes me that football fans are quick to malign players leaving clubs for a lack of loyalty, when fans are just as quick to want to dump a player that they feel doesn't cut it.
PalmettoBlue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Guy Debord » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:30 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I can see why people don't rate Benjani as he's nowhere near good enough for where we're going but what has he done to deserve the nasty kind of shit that he's getting other than score at OT & try really hard to do his best for the team whenever he's played?

Imo he's been unlucky in that he's never been fit since Sven signed him & now he's been left behind by developments at the club. Hope he gets fit & finds a new club but it looks to me as if his career may be over as he breaks down as soon as he gets a game.

Wise words from Ted there.

I agree with you both. OK, so he won't make the team but that doesn't make him a deserved target for this maliciousness. Those sniping weren't sniping when he scored at OT. Short memories.
Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Columma Durruti

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:33 pm

PalmettoBlue wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Another Sven masterstroke signing that really needs to be shown the door.

I find this to be a bit harsh. I'm not arguing we keep him, but if I remember correctly Benjani came in when we had a striker crisis and scored some vital goals for us, including the derby. I'm not saying we need to keep him, but at least show the fella a bit of respect. It also strikes me that football fans are quick to malign players leaving clubs for a lack of loyalty, when fans are just as quick to want to dump a player that they feel doesn't cut it.

Mate in life you earn respect.

But anyway besides that,my dig was at Sven he should never have bought Benjani in the first place there was more players out there who could have been signed on loan etc etc if we had a striker crisis.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:52 pm

I think we will see benjani leave after the weekend, there is no point selling him before then so he can come back to haunt us and score for pompey.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:54 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:But anyway besides that,my dig was at Sven he should never have bought Benjani in the first place there was more players out there who could have been signed on loan etc etc if we had a striker crisis.

Exactly, I have a feeling that if Sven had signed Defoe instead of Benjani then it would have made it very hard for Frank to of sacked him cos we would have finished even higher up the table
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Scorchio » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:13 pm

Slim wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:I might fancy an outside bet of Benjani back to Pompey on loan done on transfer deadline day.

I also have a gut feeling the following may exit on Deadline Day.... TBH (loan), Garrido (Spain), Petrov (Spurs), Dunne (Villa).

With our policy of recruiting players from our rivals, wouldn't this be a monstrous step backwards?

Exactly. Cannot see Petrov going anywhere.
Could see Dunnie going if he wanted to, the club owe him that much. Given Dunnes form thus far, Lescott needs a period on the bench. Dunne hasnt been player of the year four times for being constantly shite.
Garrido will be wanted in Spain..and Stoke. TBH to the nearest skip, but I am sure he will "honour" his contract. Nobody is likely to come close to the money we are paying him.
Scorchio
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby HeyMark » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:56 pm

benji isn't good enough for us but he doesn't deserve the abuse. I remember people on this site hailing him as the man who would fire us to the uefa cup places (after half a good season out of 3 in the prem) At the end of the day he never showed anything but 100% commitment when playing
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum