Top 6 target revised?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Top 6 target revised?

Postby Blue2 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:17 am

The chairman also hinted that the target of a top-six finish which was mentioned to Hughes at the start of the summer may have been revised.

He said: "Sheikh Mansour is very clear in terms of the target he has for us, and we have been working on this to reach full alignment on a realistic target for us this year.

"Given the squad we have and given the time we have had to build the squad, it is a target we will be keeping between us."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... at_critics

Top 4 now the target maybe, can't see the target having been revised downwards
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Re: Top 6 target revised?

Postby Fish111 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:21 am

Maybe targeting top 6 still as well as one of the cups? As you said, can't see them revising downwards and with the amount of investment maybe they are now insisting on a top 4 finish.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Manx Blue » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:22 am

I think privately, a top 4 place is probably what has been targeted by the clubs hierarchy...and even moreso following the aquisition of all our targets (including Lescott)
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:28 am

When listening to the online interview it comes across that Mansour wants to win the league this year but Khaldoon and Hughes have talked him out of it this year.

I'm pretty sure the personal goals of Khaldoon and Hughes is Champions League and a Cup this season. However, and very smartly, they have set a very realistic target of Top 6. This helps in two ways, firstly if we go on a run of bad form, like Liverpool are doing now, then our Chairman can come out and say there is no pressure on the management - this instils confidence in the team and stops the media creating divisions amongst the playing staff, especially the one's that don't get much playing time.

Secondly it helps Khaldoon personally, as he can report back next year to Mansour saying he has not only achieved his objective but slightly exceeded it this year.

When you are in the luxury position of been able to set your own KPI's you set them slightly underneath what you think you will achieve to make you look like a better manager than you actually are :-)
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 am

It was probably dependant on whether they could get the players in. Now we've actually signed them, they'll be hoping to win it imo.
That will be the target. Not a 'win it or you're sacked' thing but a target nontheless.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 am

Manx Blue wrote:I think privately, a top 4 place is probably what has been targeted by the clubs hierarchy...and even moreso following the aquisition of all our targets (including Lescott)

Quit right Manxy. No fffing way the Sheik 'targeted top six' as per public pronouncements. They are trying to give us the tools to win every match, and therefore have a real go at the top even this season, if not top 4 at the least. If not there's always next year!

Their idea is to get more points than the other teams. Pretty basic eh?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:34 am

Does anyone really think a top 4 place is out of reach?

I think if we are 'around' the top 4 even if we miss out that Hughes will have done his job, but I honestly believe we could win the title...it's a small chance, very small in fact. Even if it's a 1% chance, it's 1% more than we have had for the last 20+ years.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

Slim wrote:Does anyone really think a top 4 place is out of reach?

I think if we are 'around' the top 4 even if we miss out that Hughes will have done his job, but I honestly believe we could win the title...it's a small chance, very small in fact. Even if it's a 1% chance, it's 1% more than we have had for the last 20+ years.

It's certainly possible, and a lot of the transfer policy revolves around signing people with a winning mentality, sometimes having been there and done it (Given, Bellamy, Kompany & Barry (winning mentalities), Ade, Toure, SWP, Bridge, Sylvinho, Tevez (been there) to name a few).

We have basically replaced, in 12 months, a club with a losing 'typical City' mentality and a team with the same attitude full of cunts who were laughing and joking when we lost 8-1 (report, S Ireland), with the exact opposite.

Quite amazing how most of us (me included) couldn't really see how much surgery we needed back then, due to our eternal optinism.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:42 am

I think top four is a bit too much too soon but we shall see. I'm still not sure we have the tools to control a big (ish) game the way the top four teams can/do.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Manx Blue » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:42 am

I think it can be reached....whether we actually do is another matter.

We only need a speight of injuries or a run of bad luck and the dream is over. Without the added distraction of European football, we'll never get a better chance over the next few seasons IMHO
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:44 am

I agree & , I really believe they think so too. We haven't seen whether this team can fight back when behind or whether we cave in v the best yet though. If we come through those tests I'd rate us as bona fide Challengers. Big IF though, we've not been fully tested yet.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:48 am

We will know if the "revised target" is a top 4 one, by if we end 5th and Hughes is sacked, if so then top 4 was the target and if not then top 6 was the aim.

I don't think he will be given anymore "lee-way" this season like he was last when he began moaning and bitching every week, blaming everybody but himself, as after spending £200m of the good Sheikh's hard cash, he will not take any fool now telling him what should and shouldn't be achieved.

Remember lads he (Khaldoon & Sheikh) were ruthless with a top class star in Samuel Eto'o this season, give him a deadline (target) to achieve the aim by and then pulled away, I doubt they would be gentle with Hughes if he failed them in their eyes.

That is why this for me and people of the same thought a "WIN-WIN" season, if we succeed and he stays in then we have a good team, challenging the best and possibly winning silverware, if not he is gone, I cannot see a fault in either outcome.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby saulman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 am

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:We will know if the "revised target" is a top 4 one, by if we end 5th and Hughes is sacked, if so then top 4 was the target and if not then top 6 was the aim.

If he lands 5th and gets sacked I'd not only be astonished, I'd be well pissed off too. 5th is a clear progression from 10th and would show that we're well on the way to cracking the top 4. It would make it much easier to attract the top players when they see the team they will be joining. I think that 5th should only be regarded as a success. Especially now that Spurs have a decent (if rather twitchy and dodgy) manager to look after their already impressive squad.

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:Remember lads he (Khaldoon & Sheikh) were ruthless with a top class star in Samuel Eto'o this season, give him a deadline (target) to achieve the aim by and then pulled away, I doubt they would be gentle with Hughes if he failed them in their eyes.

Wasn't this decision was made by Cook and Les? I'm sure I read that somewhere recently.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Crossie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:58 am

Id love to know if Hughes thinks he has the squad for top 4, and whether he has got everyone he wants. I know managers always want more players, but we are now bless with quality and back up quality all over the pitch.

Top 6 and a cup win, or top 4 should be the target, anything less is a fail
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:59 am

saulman wrote:
Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:We will know if the "revised target" is a top 4 one, by if we end 5th and Hughes is sacked, if so then top 4 was the target and if not then top 6 was the aim.

If he lands 5th and gets sacked I'd not only be astonished, I'd be well pissed off too. 5th is a clear progression from 10th and would show that we're well on the way to cracking the top 4. It would make it much easier to attract the top players when they see the team they will be joining. I think that 5th should only be regarded as a success. Especially now that Spurs have a decent (if rather twitchy and dodgy) manager to look after their already impressive squad.

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:Remember lads he (Khaldoon & Sheikh) were ruthless with a top class star in Samuel Eto'o this season, give him a deadline (target) to achieve the aim by and then pulled away, I doubt they would be gentle with Hughes if he failed them in their eyes.

Wasn't this decision was made by Cook and Les? I'm sure I read that somewhere recently.

I believe Cook and they didn't give the deadline, they just set one for themselves and walked away when it wasn't met.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:08 am

saulman wrote:

Don't go there mate.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:16 am

Have you seen our first team on paper!?!

On that alone I really think we can challenge the top 4

If we did break into the 4 I also believe we will be Premiership contenders next season...we will be able to attract the next level of footballers and with unlimited wealth we will have an unreal squad for the next campaign
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:21 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Have you seen our first team on paper!?!

If we did break into the 4 I also believe we will be Premiership contenders next season...we will be able to attract the next level of footballers and with unlimited wealth we will have an unreal squad for the next campaign

There's a 'next level of footballers'!!!? Fuckinell what happens there!!?? Is it like that Buddhist monk's team where they levitate & volley the ball into the top corner?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:23 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Have you seen our first team on paper!?!

There's a 'next level of footballers'!!!? Fuckinell what happens there!!?? Is it like that Buddhist monk's team where they levitate & volley the ball into the top corner?

Hehe...you know what I means Ted...the Messis and Kakas etc etc
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:02 pm

The top four is going to be tough to crack. We are up against most of the wealthiest clubs in Europe within our own league. A decent Spurs effort would be a further nuisance, making it more difficult still.
However, did you see Liverpool's bench last night? Then look at our own.
Consider that Chelsea have not markedly improved, and that Scouse, Arse and Filth appear significantly weaker.
Liverpool will be shitting it if they don't string some wins together PDQ. One (two perhaps) of these clubs could be in deep deep shit if they miss out on the top four.
Certainly my own thoughts and targets have changed. I've noticed the results I'm looking for are the Sky 4's, rather than Everton and Villa, clubs that might have seemed our more natural rivals not very long ago.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum