Want a wake up call? 2006/07 Squad

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Negativity? Want a wake up call? 2006/07 Squad

Postby lythamblue » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:46 am

ian494 wrote:
lythamblue wrote:I don't have any problems looking at that squad. It's all part of our history.

You enjoy evolution more when you are familiar with what you have evolved from and this is a fine example.

Also, it would be more interesting to compare that squad with the one from five year previous, as I am sure that in comparison we would claim this 2006-7 squad as 'world beaters'!

Now .... what will be even more interesting ..... is reviving this post in five years time and I would bet that we will be reacting similarly when comparing our current squad to what we will have in five years time.

The time to worry is when we agree that our previous squads were better than what we have at the moment. Hopefully, this is something I doubt we will be doing for a long time yet to come.

Which is what I expect most Rag fans will be doing at the moment!!

Too right ..... and make sure you keep reminding them of it!!

Sayings like "nothing lasts forever" .... "you reap what you sow" ..... "you weren't special, it was only ever about the money" are 3 in particular which I use which seem to wind them up quite nicely.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Tbf, if you look at that squad, it's pretty decent defensively & defensive midfield for a mid table team. A manager with an ounce of creativity would've found some attacking talent within budget to add to that & have it pushing for top 8 again. How much did Hughes pay for RSC, Bentley & Pederson for instance? Pearce just signed crap at both ends.

Pearce is a decent defensive coach but a very negative unimaginitive manager. He should've stayed in his 1st job.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:42 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Imagine that Sven inherited that crop (of shite) and got us 9th. Magnificent job.

Didn't a large crop of that shite finish 8th after SP took over from KK though?

Not really. We had James, Bosvelt, SWP, Fowler and Anelka that season.

but we didnt have elano, corluka, petrov geovanni et al as well. two sides to ever coin mate.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:43 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Imagine that Sven inherited that crop (of shite) and got us 9th. Magnificent job.

but we didnt have elano, corluka, petrov geovanni et al as well. two sides to ever coin mate.

Yeah, I DID always think KK sacking was foolish move. We were 11th in the table with average squad. Wasn't expecting us to be much higher than that.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Fidel Castro » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:And I was saying that squad that finished 8th was nothing like the squad Sven inherited. Squad Sven inherited had finished 4 points above relegation zone.

It was quite similar though. 10 players that finished 8th, were inherited by Sven. Sven did a good job, just think we look back on his season with a bit too much emotion
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:47 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:

Yeah, I DID always think KK sacking was foolish move. We were 11th in the table with average squad. Wasn't expecting us to be much higher than that.

think we have our wires crossed there mate - a case of over quoting.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:56 pm

none of them squads are even a patch on our current crop. it really a good time to be a city fan.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:07 pm

i feel like i read practically every thread on this forum and i can say i think everyone is fantastically stoked and rubbing their cocks. i couldn't be happier. it's a fuclin dream.

this thread has no merit in terms of the alleged undercurrent of negativity on the site. Sorry. We're a far cry from where we were last winter boys in terms of the attitudes and opinions on this forum.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Fish111 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:37 pm

All football fans are optimists imho, why else would we trudge the length & bredth of the country supporting our teams? If we just liked football we could go and watch Droylsden FC when City are playing away to get our football 'fix'. We do it because we are always optimistic of a result, a good cup run or even a wembley appearance even when we have been playing total shite. It's only in the last 15 years that any remote chance of winning the league have been dispelled because of the Sky 4 being adorned with more and more money each year.
You will NEVER stop people moaning about football EVER. It's still, just about, a working mans game and this is our release every week from the drudgery of our jobs, from the drudgery of shopping with the Mrs and from the drudgery of sitting in some sweaty smelling Wacky Warehouse (other kids forms of entertainment are available) with the screaming sprogs.
It's great to see what City are on the verge of doing but i still had a moan at the match against Wolves, i thought we didn't attack them enough in the second half and i moaned that Zabaleta should have played instead of Richards. it's a game of opinions and not everyone will agree about everything all the time, that's impossible.
Negativity? It will never be eradicated but a bit more cheer inbetween moans will happen very soon i think. .
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:39 pm

Fish111 wrote:All football fans are optimists imho, why else would we trudge the length & bredth of the country supporting our teams? If we just liked football we could go and watch Droylsden FC when City are playing away to get our football 'fix'. We do it because we are always optimistic of a result, a good cup run or even a wembley appearance even when we have been playing total shite. It's only in the last 15 years that any remote chance of winning the league have been dispelled because of the Sky 4 being adorned with more and more money each year.
You will NEVER stop people moaning about football EVER. It's still, just about, a working mans game and this is our release every week from the drudgery of our jobs, from the drudgery of shopping with the Mrs and from the drudgery of sitting in some sweaty smelling Wacky Warehouse (other kids forms of entertainment are available) with the screaming sprogs. It's great to see what City are on the verge of doing but i still had a moan at the match against Wolves, i thought we didn't attack them enough in the second half and i moaned that Zabaleta should have played instead of Richards. it's a game of opinions and not everyone will agree about everything all the time, that's impossible.
Negativity? It will never be eradicated but a bit more cheer inbetween moans will happen very soon i think. .

Exactly spot on.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Re: Want a wake up call? 2006/07 Squad

Postby Steve » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:13 pm

Some of those names made me cringe. Compare the number 10s from then and now. Frightening.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby CitizenYank » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:26 pm

Ahhhh that brings back some classic memories, Demarcus Beasley. I remember watching him play for us in the
the 2002 WC. We had such hope for him. Maybe we could pick up Jozy Altidore if he does well at Hull City??

LOL
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby Grob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:18 pm

And spent £50 million of course.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:32 am

Grob wrote:

i think people were calling Keane one of the worst managers in the league for spending that kind of cash with similar results at Sunderland.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:55 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Grob wrote:

i think people were calling Keane one of the worst managers in the league for spending that kind of cash with similar results at Sunderland.

Eh?

Sunderland never got anywhere near top10. Wouldn't call 15th "similar results".

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:12 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Grob wrote:

Eh?

Sunderland never got anywhere near top10. Wouldn't call 15th "similar results".

He was buying a bunch of championship level footballers and paying ludicrous prices for them, just so he could appear like he was making things happen. Then they crashed and failed and he walked out on them, but none of that matters, cause it's ROY FUCKING KEANE.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Fish111 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:45 pm

He's doing well at Ipswich :-)
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum