Portuguesa: New form of Hooliganism?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Portuguesa: New form of Hooliganism?

Postby Florida Blue » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:27 pm

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=288873

Text Size
SAO PAULO -- The coach of a second division club in Brazil says armed fans invaded the team's locker-room and threatened players after a loss.

Portuguesa coach Rene Simoes said four fans carrying guns confronted the players following a 2-1 home loss to Vila Nova on Tuesday, a result that extended the team's winless streak to six matches.

"What kind of football is this? What kind of world is this?" said Simoes, who coached Jamaica at the 1998 World Cup and also coached Brazil's women's national team. "I've never seen anything like this in my career. It's unbelievable."

Portuguesa fans are known for their fanatical approach to supporting their team at the Caninde stadium, and in 2005 about 50 protesting supporters fought with players after another home loss at the stadium, forcing police to intervene to end the brawl.

"Where is this going to end," Simoes said after Wednesday's match. "It can't keep going like this."

Players were also upset and said they have been subject to threats for quite some time because of the team's poor form.

"It's absurd for things like this to happen because of a football match," striker Edno said. "There's no way I can keep playing here."

Portuguesa released a statement Wednesday saying the team's locker room was not invaded, and that those who made the threats were security guards accompanying a club member who has free access to the facilities.

Local authorities and the Brazilian soccer confederation said the incident will be investigated.

Portuguesa, the first-division runner-up in the 1996 Brazilian league, is ninth in the 20-team standings with 28 points and is in danger of not being among the four teams which will return to the top flight next year. Vasco, a four-time national champion, leads the second division with 42 points from 20 matches.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Return to The Maine Football forum