New stadium

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

New stadium

Postby ant london » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:54 am

Never mind expanding Eastlands.....let's build ourselves one of these badboys (the new Dallas Cowboys stadium)

Like Wembley, Cowboys Stadium was over budget (it ended up costing nearly double the projected $650m , and was partially funded by a half cent rise in Arlington sales tax), and is aesthetically defined by a doublearch design that towers 300 feet over the pitch. Unlike Wembley, however, the roof is fully retractable, and the world’s largest glass doors at either end zone can be opened up on particularly stuffy days. It currently holds 80,000 (10,000 less than Wembley), but will be expanded to a capacity of 100,000 in due course.

ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: New stadium

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 am

Hire me to lead that site and I PROMISE to build it for 650m.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Crossie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:31 am

Oh good lord, what a beauty yes please!!!

We would move from Council house to Mansion
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:41 am

That's brilliant, looks like it could lift off into orbit.

Any idea how the hanging screens work when the roof is retracted?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 am

Granted it's lovely on the eye Ant but just a couple of problems with it. Firstly it also costs a prize packet to sit in the damn thing as it now has to pay for itself when the Cowboys have only 10 home games a year, and the huge lovely scoreboard you can see now needs to be moved about 30 feet higher up and likely reduced in size as well. Unfortunately when it was built no-one thought it would interfere with actual play down below but it does - during the first game there last week The Tennessee punter hit the bloody screen twice when Punting the ball during play.

The result is that there is an argument going on between the Cowboys and the NFL as to who should pay the multi-million dollar bill for doing this so all is not quite rosy in the garden.

The retractable roof was installed to keep up an old Dallas Cowboy fable that there is a window to the sky so "God can watch over his team" just as they had at their old home, Texas Stadium - nice to believe if your a Cowboy fan but a complete load of hogwash. The truth apparently was that Texas Stadium was meant to be a dome but the construction costs ran so high they had to scrap the plans for a domed roof, thus leaving a smaller open roof in the structure as a testament for going over budget.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby bobby brows » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:56 am

Goaters 103 wrote:Granted it's lovely on the eye Ant but just a couple of problems with it. Firstly it also costs a prize packet to sit in the damn thing as it now has to pay for itself when the Cowboys have only 10 home games a year, and the huge lovely scoreboard you can see now needs to be moved about 30 feet higher up and likely reduced in size as well. Unfortunately when it was built no-one thought it would interfere with actual play down below but it does - during the first game there last week The Tennessee punter hit the bloody screen twice when Punting the ball during play.

The result is that there is an argument going on between the Cowboys and the NFL as to who should pay the multi-million dollar bill for doing this so all is not quite rosy in the garden.

The retractable roof was installed to keep up an old Dallas Cowboy fable that there is a window to the sky so "God can watch over his team" just as they had at their old home, Texas Stadium - nice to believe if your a Cowboy fan but a complete load of hogwash. The truth apparently was that Texas Stadium was meant to be a dome but the construction costs ran so high they had to scrap the plans for a domed roof, thus leaving a smaller open roof in the structure as a testament for going over budget.

The funny thing is that was the first thing i thought of when i saw the original photo at the top, that scoreboard looks a bit low! you look at the photo from behind the goal and the distance is huge! it must have been some punt!
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Scatman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:07 am

Goaters 103 wrote:Granted it's lovely on the eye Ant but just a couple of problems with it. Firstly it also costs a prize packet to sit in the damn thing as it now has to pay for itself when the Cowboys have only 10 home games a year, and the huge lovely scoreboard you can see now needs to be moved about 30 feet higher up and likely reduced in size as well. Unfortunately when it was built no-one thought it would interfere with actual play down below but it does - during the first game there last week The Tennessee punter hit the bloody screen twice when Punting the ball during play.

So no good for American football, but we have more than 10 home games a year, it may not have to pay for itself anyway, and footballs aren't really kicked as high as punts. That looks like it's on a level with the 3rd or 4th tier, and I don't recall even Dunnie's hoofs going that high.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Vhero » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:10 am

Retractable roof would be good too while were at it I mean we have the technology :p
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Biamp » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:39 am

Looks great!!
Biamp
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Fidel Castro » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:41 am

Am I the only person who thinks it looks shite?
Fidel Castro

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:45 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Am I the only person who thinks it looks shite?

No im with you,it looks gash.

I want a Estadio Dragao with a roof and a much higher attendence.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 am

ramckaymancity wrote:
The funny thing is that was the first thing i thought of when i saw the original photo at the top, that scoreboard looks a bit low! you look at the photo from behind the goal and the distance is huge! it must have been some punt!

That's the first thing that crossed my mind as well haha.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby john68 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:17 am

Nah! Fidel, you're not on your own mate. It didn't flick any of my switches either. From the outside it had the look of some giant overgrown local swimming pool.
I want the LAHAD version of Eastlands. Three tiers all round with a City standing area at one end to add to the atmosphere.
I would however like to see our stadium with even more blue on the outside... all that grey looks a bit naval dockyard to me.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 am

avoidconfusion wrote:
ramckaymancity wrote:

The scoreboard is 90 feet up from the field, as per the NFL Rules - however the rules were drafted in the 30's when punters were kicking with hobnail boots I think. The Cowboys complaint is that they complied with NFL rules, though quite why no-one thought to actually test it out just shows you can spend billions of dollars and still miss the obvious.

Apparently other teams when building new stadiums also tried to hang a big screen in the middle of the field, but they found it did interfere with play so scrapped the idea - pity they didn't tell Dallas owner Jerry Jones really! Would have saved them a lot of embarrassment - for anybody interested you can read about it the problem below, apologies for being a trainspotter on the subject!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby irblinx » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:30 am

avoidconfusion wrote:
ramckaymancity wrote:

yep, same here. Too low and possibly too big, it does look a little better in the second pic from the stands.

Bloody ugly from the outside though.

I would much rather any development was made to the existing stadium rather than move again, COMS is in a good location (for me at least!) and feels like home to me now.
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Dazzacity » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:32 am

I still think ours looks alot better than that. Its impressive but nothin really eye catching imo.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:37 am

On the night of the Robinho transfer I was chatting outside the ground with a couple of other Blues about increasing capacity of Eastlands. We all remembered that at the time it was built we were told it wasn't really designed with expansion in mind, and whilst it could be done the cost would be very large.
One of these guys suggested that with the money available, the best and quite possibly most feasible plan might be just to build another from scratch instead, with facilities on a par with the very best, rather than a piecemeal bodge job. It's a thought.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Fidel Castro » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 am

On the first pic it looks like an oversized version of Bolton's stadium to me
Fidel Castro

Postby irblinx » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:54 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:On the night of the Robinho transfer I was chatting outside the ground with a couple of other Blues about increasing capacity of Eastlands. We all remembered that at the time it was built we were told it wasn't really designed with expansion in mind, and whilst it could be done the cost would be very large.
One of these guys suggested that with the money available, the best and quite possibly most feasible plan might be just to build another from scratch instead, with facilities on a par with the very best, rather than a piecemeal bodge job. It's a thought.

And yet the Emirates was built from the same basic design! Where there's a will there's a way, didn't someone mention that we'd bought the freehold for the store so that that north stand could be expanded, don't know how true that is but just about as official as the "can't be expanded" rumours IMHO?

The only issue I can see with expanding the stadium is when it would be done to cause the least disruption, we will have so many SC holders from this season on that moving people around whilst work is completed will be interesting.
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 am

I'd rather have a stadium where they get as many fans as possible, as close to the pitch as possible instead of having tiers full of tw@s in between.

Put all the hangers on & prawn eating gits at the top, as they can watch it on screens anyway. Just have one side where the press, officials, Sheikh, Queen etc can sit in the middle, like in the Colin Bell stand now & put the corporate people further up. The other 3 sides should be bult for fans/atmosphere.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum