Cheating and diving

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Cheating and diving

Postby Beanieboy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:36 pm

Slim wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:
Beanieboy wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:Ref's will have been watching the game last night. Now they have a seed of doubt in their mind over Eduardo. In the long run he's shot himself in the foot cos he won't be getting many more penalties even when they are. Case in point - Andy Johnson.

to be fair,....he didn't get a freekick when his leg was ripped off did he?....belated compensation?

To be fair he did get a free kick and the guy got a red card. Can't say fairer than that.....! Like fidal said I used to have a soft spot but no now cheating git.

Fairer than that would be a ban that ran the length of Eduardo's absence.

sorry,..my bad, for some reason i thought play went on and a linesman attended ref to what happend once palyers started screaming, but to be honest all i can really remember much except a foot hanging on by a piece of muscle fibre,........but he would deserve to break both legs for his dive
Beanieboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Slim » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:49 pm

I seem to remember Ben Thatcher getting away with a horrendous elbow, without so much as a foul. I think we should let Pedro Mendes dive and cheat from now on in....really doesn't make too much sense does it?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Fish111 wrote:City v Rags in the FA Cup Final, It's 2-2, last minute of injury time and Tevez takes a dive/simulates to win us a penalty that leads to lifting the cup and winning our first silverware since 1977. Reactions?

Hand the cup back? Sack or sell Tevez? Or get on with it, swings & roundabouts an all that and party like there's no tomorrow?

First sensible post on this thread.

Don't get me wrong, I hate diving just as much as the next man but some of the reactions today in football message boards have been hilarious. All the holier than thee attitude.

I saw City players take dives last season. Robinho alone at least ten times. Still I didn't expect anyone to be shouting that we should be kicked off the Premier League. I expect that referees should be take sterner stance against it and show those yellow cards they are allowed to show for play acting and maybe in some bad cases give them one match ban or something. But to even suggest that they should be banned is ridiculous and populistic.

I fucking hate cheating.

Yellow cards from time to time for a few players at the smaller clubs (cos you know and I know that wayne wooney is not going to get done for diving) will not eradicate the problem.

I don't know what will sort it out. But whatever measures are introduced need to be brought in at FIFA level as this culture is readily accepted as part of the game in many parts of the world. I don't know whether it'd be right to just trample over certain footballing cultures that have been going on for decades. I would do it if I were blatter but I reckon that knobhead is going to think to himself, "How can this make money for me?", come to the conclusion that it won't and so do fuck all to actually improve the game, as per usual.

But I do not mind admitting that I feel uncomfortable whenever I see Robinho dive. I hope this is coached out of his game because the bloke is otherwise an absolute joy to watch.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby saulman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:05 pm

There should be a 3 match ban carrying the same penalties as an instant red, only handed out afterwards.
That goes for off the ball violence, hand of God goals and anything else the ref doesn't see that needs punishment.

Why they don't do it, I'll never know.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby pears12 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:52 pm

There wouldn't really be diving if refs gave fouls without falling over.. refs never seem to give them if the player still is standing even tho he was end of blatent foul..

But it was a huge dive from eduardo not necessiarly the refs fault from his angle it looks like a foul 100%.. but using a match review commitee to ban someone after the fact is not a good idea imo.. like team who loses doesn't get a point or the other team won't have that goal taken off them..just get 4th official to tell ref it was dive as he has monitor with replays and book player on the day
pears12
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:44 am

pears12 wrote:There wouldn't really be diving if refs gave fouls without falling over.. refs never seem to give them if the player still is standing even tho he was end of blatent foul..

But it was a huge dive from eduardo not necessiarly the refs fault from his angle it looks like a foul 100%.. but using a match review commitee to ban someone after the fact is not a good idea imo.. like team who loses doesn't get a point or the other team won't have that goal taken off them..just get 4th official to tell ref it was dive as he has monitor with replays and book player on the day

you raise another very good point and certainly another side of coin. Every game you see players pulling other players shirt but does referee ever give freekicks unless player goes down? No. Same goes for all the nasty elbows in stomach and face.

Again, I repeat, I don't condone diving, far from it, but it seems to be only way for attacking players, especially big strong ones like Drogba and Ade, to earn freekicks. Attention is needed from refs as well. It's just sad that while overall quality of players has raised dramatically over the last twenty years, the quality of refereeing hasn't really kept up with the pace.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum