Boss set to unleash big guns at Palace

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Boss set to unleash big guns at Palace

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:53 pm

There will be no medals handed out at the Palace tonight but the Blues will be hoping to take a step nearer some cherished silverware.

Neil Warnock’s championship side stand between City and a place in the third round of a competition that has already produced two winning entries in the club’s history books.

Boss Mark Hughes is expecting a tough battle against Neil Warnock’s side and he is likely to roll out his big names for the tie at Selhurst Park.

Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure may not have seen too much Carling Cup action while with Arsenal but both are included in a squad that has no fresh injuries from the win over Wolves that continued the Blues unbeaten start to the season and left them the only Premier League club yet to concede a goal.

New signing Sylvinho will not be eligible for the tie because international clearance for the former Barcelona star came through too late for him to figure, but all of Joleon Lescott's paperwork has been completed and the England international could make his City debut.

After losing to Brighton at the first hurdle last season, Hughes is determined that there will be no repeat twelve months on and has already stressed the importance of the competition to his squad .

“There is expectation but we are enjoying that and the Carling Cup is the next match on the agenda,” he said.

“We are looking to do well in the competition especially as we have not got Europe this year so we have one fewer trophy at which to aim.

“It is a difficult tie. We know that any side of Mr Warnock’s will have a certain way of playing and a certain attitude about them which is a reflection of the manager. It is not going to be easy, far from it. We are not going to take the tie lightly.

“We will go there with a strong side. There are two views on these things. You can possibly give game time to guys that need it because we are so early in the season and maybe some of them need a little bit more actual playing time.

“On the other hand you can say let’s be really strong and hopefully start really well and get the game put to bed and then you make changes and give people opportunities.

“So there are two schools of thought and I know which one I am erring towards.

“Which one? Everyone will find out tonight. We are not in bad shape injury wise. And they have all already been told how important we regard this tie and this competition.”
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Boss set to unleash big guns at Palace

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:49 pm

I would take chelsea lead and pretty much play a full strength team. We are no postion to start playing our reserves and youth players. We can do that in a few years time when we have won things. First choice 11 for me and rest if we are winning well.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:50 pm

I would take chelsea lead and pretty much play a full strength team. We are no postion to start playing our reserves and youth players. We can do that in a few years time when we have won things. First choice 11 for me and rest if we are winning well.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby BmoreBlue » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:28 pm

i'd like to see a strong squad, maybe de jong to get some strength in the midfield. have us go up big early, then let a few lads get some run in the 2nd half - weiss comes to mind in particular
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Dameerto » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:02 pm

Treat every round like a cup final - you dont experiment with a recent history like ours - maybe in a season or two when (rather than 'if') we build some consistency
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:08 pm

I can see a near full team running out tonight and rightly so. We are still a team in the making and the more matches they get together the better. Once won, make the changes to save their legs for Pompey!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby shawzy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Would really like to see a full strength side but i would risk playing Ned and McGivern at the back with Zabba and Bridge as the full backs.
Can hardly call that a weak defense.Should certainly be able to deal with the Palace attack.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Vhero » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:58 pm

shawzy wrote:Would really like to see a full strength side but i would risk playing Ned and McGivern at the back with Zabba and Bridge as the full backs.
Can hardly call that a weak defense.Should certainly be able to deal with the Palace attack.

Good job we didnt eh??
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum