The Real MotM Poll

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Who Was Your Man Of The Match

Given
50%
Bridge
3%
Lescott
3%
Toure
2%
Richards
1%
Barry
7%
Robinho
1%
Ireland
2%
SWP
26%
Tevez
5%
Adebayor
1%
Bellamy (sub)
No votes
De Jong (sub)
No votes

Total votes : 113

Re: The Real MotM Poll

Postby irblinx » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:53 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:i went for lescott, purely because i find it astounding a player can play that well after only one light training session with his new team. incredible.

Same for me,the last Blue to do that was Benarbia and he turned out to be bloody brilliant for us.
It bodes well for Mr Lescott.

great in the second half (fast, strong and great in the air) but his first half display was ropey as hell
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 pm

irblinx wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:i went for lescott, purely because i find it astounding a player can play that well after only one light training session with his new team. incredible.

Same for me,the last Blue to do that was Benarbia and he turned out to be bloody brilliant for us.
It bodes well for Mr Lescott.

great in the second half (fast, strong and great in the air) but his first half display was ropey as hell

first half he was just abit ring rusty which is very understandable really given he hasn't played and barely trained since everton's game against arsenal and had barely kicked a ball to his new teammates.

joleon lescott will be fantastic player for city mark my words.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Grob » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Given was top class.

Barry, Bridge and SWP weren't far behind.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Mike J » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:49 pm

just got back from the game. gareth barry by a million miles. this boy can play. he did not put a foot wrong all night.
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:57 pm

Given over Sweep & GB for me.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:00 pm

Mike J wrote:just got back from the game. gareth barry by a million miles. this boy can play. he did not put a foot wrong all night.

He did give the ball away quite a few times tonight by over hitting passes. Also gave away a few silly free kicks. His lack of pace was also quite apparent at times. I rate Gareth Barry, and have done since I saw him make is Aston Villa debut, but at the moment it seems like he just has to turn up for people to want to hand out man of the match awards.

Having said that, both yourself and Grob attended the match tonight, so I will take your opinions as I only watched it on TV.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Mike J » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:26 pm

didnt really notice any of what you said in his performance. but the clearing up job that he did in front of the back 4 was impeccable.
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby bobby brows » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:18 am

Barry!

all regulation saves for Given! he'll have more difficult nights
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby roadkill2487 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:19 am

Given is one of the best goalkeepers I have ever seen in a City shirt. Anyone agree?
roadkill2487
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:40 am

I went with Bridge, but Shay was amazing as well. Bridge looks better every game I see him so far this term.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Slim » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:39 am

roadkill2487 wrote:Given is one of the best goalkeepers I have ever seen in a City shirt. Anyone agree?

Big call, I like it. Some of these old cunts have been around since Trautmann were a boy so they might 'remember the good ole days' but the only competition for him in my lifetime would be Corrigan.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City1970 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:47 am

Given for me.

But Honerable mentions to Barry and Sweep.
Manchester City - F**king up U****d since 2009
City1970
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Err...guess
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby Dronny » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:53 am

Mike J wrote:didnt really notice any of what you said in his performance. but the clearing up job that he did in front of the back 4 was impeccable.

First time watching him in the flesh and I agree, the amount of play that he broke up in front of our back 4 was immense. He was like a shadow to the Palace guys who had the ball and as soon as they overan it or lost control for a nano second he was in. Very honourable mentions to SWP who had a very good game as well. Such is the exceptional standard of Given and what I have come to expect but I just don't see him getting beaten, when was the last time we had 4 clean sheets on the spin? I thought Lescott and Toure struck up a good understanding as well, the future is bright, the future is sky blue!
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Martinez » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:58 am

Good, professional team effort, none of the outfield players really stood out, so I went for Shay. Another top performance by Barry as well though, SWP looked back to his best after his goal, Stevie's first touch is what makes him special but the lad needs to try a shot FFS.
Martinez
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:17 am

I thought that most of the efforts on Given were pretty tame. The block from Sears was impressive, but the rest of the stuff was half chances at best. I'd have been upset if he'd let any of them past him. Sweep was magnificent. Toure a touch of class.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:59 am

Which were these "fantastic" saves that Given made then? The one hit straight at him by Sears? The one from the impossible angle that he pushed across his own goal? Or perhaps the one late in the second half that he fumbled a bit? Not the one where he came out and flapped ineffectively like a crippled swan, I assume....

Nope.

Please don't get me wrong. I was very pleased we signed Shay Given and I am a big, big fan of his. But he did nothing v Palace that I would not expect him or any other Premier League goalie to do. Just because martin fucking tyler tells you our goalie is man of the match, it doesn't make it true. Naming your goalie man of the match implies that you've been under the cosh for good spells of the game. We quite definitely were not. Their goalie perhaps but not ours.

SWP MotM for me.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:Which were these "fantastic" saves that Given made then? The one hit straight at him by Sears? The one from the impossible angle that he pushed across his own goal? Or perhaps the one late in the second half that he fumbled a bit? Not the one where he came out and flapped ineffectively like a crippled swan, I assume....

Nope.

Please don't get me wrong. I was very pleased we signed Shay Given and I am a big, big fan of his. But he did nothing v Palace that I would not expect him or any other Premier League goalie to do. Just because martin fucking tyler tells you our goalie is man of the match, it doesn't make it true. Naming your goalie man of the match implies that you've been under the cosh for good spells of the game. We quite definitely were not. Their goalie perhaps but not ours.

SWP MotM for me.

PHEW!!!!

Finally! I thought I was watching different game to everyone else! Given was in very good form and he has been stunning for us this season BUT I didn't think he did anything out of this world against Palace (unlike Wolves and Blackburn). SWP for me as well.

I was genuinely surprised by reaction of most people after the game.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:07 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:PHEW!!!!

Finally! I thought I was watching different game to everyone else! Given was in very good form and he has been stunning for us this season BUT I didn't think he did anything out of this world against Palace (unlike Wolves and Blackburn). SWP for me as well.

I was genuinely surprised by reaction of most people after the game.

Great minds, NQ'sDP, and so on. Me too. This bullshit that Given kept us in the match is simply Sky's anti-City, head in the sand propaganda. He did nothing of the sort; we were under little pressure. Their goalie, now that's a different story.

I always try to wait a few days before posting in this kind of thread. If I can, I'll watch the game again, then the highlights on mcfc.co.uk. Still waiting for someone to show me which "fantastic" saves they are talking about.

I find that the media are influencing too many people at the moment, and not just in the area of football. It is becoming more and more disturbing.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:13 am

Most of the people commenting in this thread did so while the match was actually happening and while we were watching it collectively - Im not going to go into deep post-match analysis of any comments Ive made in this thread - it was a written equivalent of the kind of banter I shared with my dad while watching games a couple of decades ago, and which I have a sentimental fondness for. (Totally disagree with your implications about media influence by the way)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:45 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I went with Bridge, but Shay was amazing as well. Bridge looks better every game I see him so far this term.

Bridge is looking devastating down that left, I wish Robbie would look to push further inside and create the hole for him. And for Ade to start attacking the 6 yard box the way RSC would.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum