Red Rom to sabotage for City

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Red Rom to sabotage for City

Postby lythamblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:39 pm

ronk wrote:
Socrates wrote:
pointless continuing this. You are talking about the past and present and I am talking about the future. You obviously haven't grasped how much more money and potential we have than Chelsea so let's leave it there.

I was using examples from the recent past to support my analysis.

Money can buy success. The future is great for us. But it will take a lot more than a bit of success before we're matching Real Madrid and Barcelona as a draw. We'd need to establish ourselves as one of the all time great teams to make a serious dent in their image.

It's an exciting time for our club, we've come a long way and this is only the tip of the iceberg. But we have no real reason to believe that we'll be the beneficiaries of limitless amounts of money and ambition. Chelsea sacked their manager for finishing 2nd the year Arsenal went unbeaten in the league (and closing the gap as the season went on) and losing in the CL semi final. Mourinho's failure to win the CL cost him his job despite winning back to back prems.

You can put much of it down to the single mindedness and patience of our owner and the capriciousness and impatience of Chelsea's but we don't seem to be on a path to throw a billion or two at a goal of becoming the greatest team in the world. We seem to more modest ambitions and the rate of spending should slow somewhat.

It makes sense because there aren't really that many players (left) around who are worth going for world record bids on at the moment.

Sorry Soc .... but he's right mate.

You have to put our situation in the right context. Sure, we are well stashed to the point of it almost being unfair .... but that won't bring everything to us by 2012.

We can now put some massive spokes in a few wheels, challenge for the Premiership within a few years and compete for some trophies, whilst having a great laugh screwing up the hopes and ambitions of our more illustrious rivals and their owners.

However, we cannot hope to compete with the global popularity of the manyoos, Barca's, Real Madrid's, AC Milans of this football world, within the next 20 years, if that. Chelsea have also had to realise tha they don't really come into it either.

They have each won dozens of National Championships , Champions Leagues and domestic and european cups, have a global recognition and appeal, which attracts the world's best players in their prime and has made them football institutions.

We must accept that we are light years behind in this regard and even winning the Premiership within the next two years will change diddly squat in that respect. But, we can all enjoy the progress, look forward to some big games and moments and hope that maybe before we die ...... we too will eventually join their institutional status. Personally, at the moment, I am just enjoying being the 'kids from the Council House who won the lottery'!

I inow that you are looking at the future Jon .... but you can't assess where you intend to go unless you fully understand where you are starting from.

If indeed, the establishment are vehemently out to stop us (which I doubt they can do), qualifying for the Champs league prior to 2012 won't really make any difference.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ronk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:48 am

gillie wrote:I get what you are saying Ronk we have all the cash but the shelves in the shops are empty.So we need to build from within so to speak and build a dynasty please correct me if i have got you wrong.

Not entirely, but there are limits to what we can do in the transfer market because our owner is an investor, he wants a plausible return. He could afford to go to Barcelona and pay £300m for Messi. But there'd be no way of ever breaking even.

Our brand is rapidly growing and we're not finished spending, but spending money on it's own isn't enough. The good news is that the Sheik is acutely aware of this and has been since he bought the club. Cook has said that some of the prices we've paid reflect the different value of certain players to us, at this point in our development.

We'll keep adding to the squad, but more slowly. Until then we'll be waiting to identify the next superstars and trying to buy them when the time is right.

But Real & Barcelona have bought almost everyone. Who's left? There aren't many players out there who are clearly world class but in clubs that can't keep them. It's still early for Aguero, we tried Villa, Bayern are desperate to hold onto Ribery and probably can price him out of most teams level of interest.

In the past Chelsea got a more or less free run against Essien, but you have to find the next Essien first. If you go out with £25m looking to buy a central defender you end up with Lescott: good player but paying a major premium.

We haven't done that badly really. We've assembled Tevez, Adebayor and Robinho for the same money as Madrid got Ronaldo and less than we offered Kaka. Worked out well for us IMHO.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:28 am

As I have stated in previous post - I am in the camp that is really concerned re this as I see it as an explicit / planned campaign by the established English top 4 to keep us out of the trough - some here seem to think that is a form of paranoia - some comment that ".. well how could the scum etc get their houses in order..." - missing the point that these proposals are developing specifically designed to stymie us well serving them - then again others take comfort in the fact that we can appeal to European Courts etc - which as I have pointed out (with good knowledge - this is not the case)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 226752.stm

In this link - you get David Gill commending the Platini proposals - at the end you will see another link with Peter Kenyon doing the same - they are part of the organising guys!! - influencing how the regulations are designed - these clubs are not concerned about the impact on them (e.g. debt) because they are steering Platini - that is why all the stuff about 'gift' from the owner have been drafted

On the issue of European Law being used:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 236187.stm

In this clip the BBC discuss the ban on Chelsea in transfer windows (although expect this to be reduced) - there is no talk about use of European Law - the final body to appeal to is the Arbitration body for sport - the point is (as I have previously stated) conformance to the published rules.

We need to take this very seriously - paranoid? - they are out to get us!!
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum