Shay Given

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Shay Given

Postby Slim » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:01 am

Original Dub wrote:Absolute legend in the making no doubt about it.

I knew for a fact he would be anyway... playing in front of the worst defence in the prem for 10 years gets you lots of practice!
I've watched him in every single international match and he has always been a saviour.

Long may it continue!

You are just biased cause he's irish...SHAY OUT!
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 am

Slim wrote:

I knew for a fact he would be anyway... playing in front of the worst defence in the prem for 10 years gets you lots of practice!
I've watched him in every single international match and he has always been a saviour.

Long may it continue!

Dunne IN!
Original Dub

Postby Beeks » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:31 am

Original Dub wrote:
Slim wrote:

Long may it continue!

Dunne IN!

You shake it all about...you do the...
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Slim » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:31 am

Original Dub wrote:
Slim wrote:

Long may it continue!

Dunne IN!

STEVIE OUT!

No wait...dammit.

Okay, Stevie is an honourary Aussie.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:31 am

blootoof wrote:Hart lets in a goal = smirk on his face

Given needs to make a save = expression on his face looks like someone's wiped out his entire family

Exactly.
I love the way he gives constant bollocking to players around him. Just like keeper should. And those reaction saves..... out of this world.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:32 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Given needs to make a save = expression on his face looks like someone's wiped out his entire family

Exactly.
I love the way he gives constant bollocking to players around him. Just like keeper should. And those reaction saves..... out of this world.

And to think people were going mad asking why we was pushing Hart out for the time being.

HE WASNT READY FOR US,IN TIME HE WILL BE BUT NOT NOW.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Dazzacity » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:34 am

Crazy.. Was watchin skysprts news earlier and they was on about Casiilias(sp) and that then got me thinkin that Id prob still rather have Shay in goal ahead of him!! I honestly think Shay is currently one of the best keepers in the world.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:40 am

lets all have a disco wrote:

Exactly.

And to think people were going mad asking why we was pushing Hart out for the time being.

I was saying the same all along mate. Right now Given is one of the top keepers in the world (not even exaggarating) whereas Joe still has lot to learn. Besides I felt it was too much too soon to expect Joe to carry the pressure of minding the goal for side that is trying to break to very top. Loan at Birmingham will be great for him and we'll see in few years.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:53 am

Exactly.

I was saying the same all along mate. Right now Given is one of the top keepers in the world (not even exaggarating) whereas Joe still has lot to learn. Besides I felt it was too much too soon to expect Joe to carry the pressure of minding the goal for side that is trying to break to very top. Loan at Birmingham will be great for him and we'll see in few years.

Hart was truly shocking v the rags but I've not seen how he's done since. Seeing him in that game made me realise how far off he is from the standard we need right now.

Only small criticism of Given from me is on crosses. At everything else I'd say he's as good as anybody I can think of at the moment.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby smurfsdabomb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:05 am

In all fairness Joe Hart is never going to be fit to tie Given's bootlaces and Given is still relatively young for a goalkeeper so he's got a long time left. Yes Hart will improve in years to come but if Man City progress as we expect they might the club will surely be improving at a faster rate than Hart is, I don't see him ever being good enough.
smurfsdabomb
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Beeks » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:10 am

smurfsdabomb wrote:In all fairness Joe Hart is never going to be fit to tie Given's bootlaces and Given is still relatively young for a goalkeeper so he's got a long time left. Yes Hart will improve in years to come but if Man City progress as we expect they might the club will surely be improving at a faster rate than Hart is, I don't see him ever being good enough.

Personally I don't think Joe Hart will pull on a City shirt ever again...He will not be satisfied playing understudy to Given and barring serious injury to Shay that is all he will be

I expect a permanent move to Brum next year (Or if he excels one of the bigger clubs)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby CitizenYank » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:32 am

Thursday's performance was the best I have seen from him (at least with our kit on!!)
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:40 am

Exactly.

Because they no nothing about goalkeeping. I spoke with Ant about this at the time and said that the people that were saying dont sign him were clueless. He is a far better goalkeeper than Hart and this has been proved in the last 6 months or so.

Harts time will come, but not sure if that will be with City. I can not see him hanging around for 4 or 5 years. Shay could play on until he is 40 if he keeps fit easily. There is no better shop stopper in this league and poss in the world. You need a keeper that will get you points and thats exaclty what Shay will do.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby blootoof » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:54 am

Its the mentality of Given as well as his ability's that makes him the keeper he is. We could win 25 - 1 and I'll put money on it he would be kickin his cat up the butt when he gets home. Kind of agree about the crosses BUT I've lost count of goals we've conceded over the years when one of our keepers fucks up comin out for a cross.

4 Clean sheets including Barsa - not bad
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Trautmann » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:28 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Trautmann wrote:ps letting Dunnie go will prove to be a big mistake. He was not the problem. Getting Richards and Bridge sorted is now urgent.

Eh?

Can you tell me WTF is wrong with Bridge?!

I think he's been excellent this season already!

I'm alone on this I suppose but I wish he would stay home and mind the store instead of playing as left winger--getting caught out of position too much.
Trautmann
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Superman's Underpants

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:08 pm

Trautmann wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Trautmann wrote:ps letting Dunnie go will prove to be a big mistake. He was not the problem. Getting Richards and Bridge sorted is now urgent.

Eh?

I'm alone on this I suppose but I wish he would stay home and mind the store instead of playing as left winger--getting caught out of position too much.

Yeh you are alone on this. I think Bridge has made a brilliant start to the season and cant see how anyone could disagree with that if you've been watching the games?

On the subject of Shay. For me he is the best goalkeeper in the Prem and has been for years. Without doubt Hughes best bit of business to date. 8 mill was a steal!!
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby edge275 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Bridge has been excellent this season.

Shay has been like a deity.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Trautmann » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:
Trautmann wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

Eh?

Yeh you are alone on this. I think Bridge has made a brilliant start to the season and cant see how anyone could disagree with that if you've been watching the games?

On the subject of Shay. For me he is the best goalkeeper in the Prem and has been for years. Without doubt Hughes best bit of business to date. 8 mill was a steal!!

Agree with you 100% on Shay--he has been the difference. I watched all three games so far and my gut reaction was the same each time--the opposition seemed to have easy access to the box, no trouble getting their crosses in, but luckily for us, no striker at the end of it, or Shay pulling out all the stops. It should trouble us all when the goalie gets the MOTM award--it means he was left exposed too often. I look forward to the MOTM going regularly to Tevez and the other forwards, and Shay having little to do.
Trautmann
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Superman's Underpants

Postby Vhero » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Definetly a great goalkeeper the best in the prem? Maybe but he's up there easily.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby M147WN » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:56 am

I wholeheartedly agree with the fact that Shay is just the next in line of fantastic keepers we've been lucky enough to attract in the last 40 years!!

difficult to see from a supporters or an outfield players point of view but if you're a keeper what's the best game you can have?
One where you're under seige for 90 minutes is what every keeper will tell you!! You claw the ball away in the 2nd minute and your centre half scufs you round the head and says well done and then you keep out and your CF nicks ones and puts you through to the next round! Its fucking ecstasy and in the pub after your buzzing! I've digressed a bit but what I'm trying to say is a stiker just wants to put it in the net!!
From a defenders and a goalkeepers point of view all we want to do is keep a clean sheet.
I was a CH until I did my cruciate in 83 and that was it but thats how defenders view a game as sucesful!
SG, and I'm including Joe Corrigan and Harry Dowd is the best goalkeeper I've ever seen at Mancheter City..

He have a history of good keepers and by god we've needed them!!!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum