Credit To Hughes

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Credit To Hughes

Postby smurfsdabomb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:27 am

john@staustell wrote:
Blue2 wrote:Early days, if any manager had spent £200m in 12 mths I reckon he could manage a team to have won the last 3 games.

Not too sure about that mate. Someone else may have bought a load of fancy Italians like that bloke just signed for Liverpool, with little chance of them adapting to the Premier. Quite like the fact that nearly all our signings are good Premier players.

Silly post, Aquilani is a renowned playmaker throughout the game. Calling him a "fancy italian" is fairly ignorant, he isn't someone like Bianchi.
smurfsdabomb
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:28 am

smurfsdabomb wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
smurfsdabomb wrote:To be honest I wouldn't throw a parade for a team because they beat two of the bottom six sides and a mediocre championship outfit.

You wouldn't want City to have a parade though would you, seeing as you're not a City supporter?

I am, or at least certainly was. I'm not too crazy about the manner the club is progressing though so I'm undecided at the moment.

You was happier when City were shit?
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby john@staustell » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:28 am

smurfsdabomb wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
smurfsdabomb wrote:To be honest I wouldn't throw a parade for a team because they beat two of the bottom six sides and a mediocre championship outfit.

You wouldn't want City to have a parade though would you, seeing as you're not a City supporter?

I am, or at least certainly was. I'm not too crazy about the manner the club is progressing though so I'm undecided at the moment. I'm certainly not an anti-city supporter either way, at the very least. =)

This bizarre attitude would explain your insane posts such as 'Dunne being the cornerstone of the defence'. These are clearly the ramblings of a madman or a Red (or both).

If you don't like the way the club is progressing - "on your way out you'll find a door. Use it!"
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:28 am

smurfsdabomb wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I am, or at least certainly was. I'm not too crazy about the manner the club is progressing though so I'm undecided at the moment. I'm certainly not an anti-city supporter either way, at the very least. =)

You're going to be in a small minority there I think. Majority of us have been waiting most of our lives hoping for something like this to happen.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby smurfsdabomb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:31 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
smurfsdabomb wrote:
I am, or at least certainly was. I'm not too crazy about the manner the club is progressing though

Yeah I know what you mean mate...signing all these world class stars is really getting me down too...

I'm talking more about signing Tevez from sworn enemies, selling your captain so you can accomodate an asshole with more loyalty to his bank balance than his club, in fact add in Barry and you've got two of those. Adebayour is a horrible person, a moaner who'll complain at the first sight of something wrong, Bellamy is an arrogant twat, Robinho probably is too but I like his cheeky nature so I'll let him off with that!

Previous signings like Kompany, Corluka, Given, Zab, Petrov, Elano etc were masterful. Brilliant players on the field, very likable off it. It made for an easy to support team. Not so much anymore, I just didn't like a lot of the players they brought in this summer, reminded me of more expensive versions of the mistakes Keane made at Sunderland when he brought in disruptive influences like Diouf, Cisse and Chimbonda.
smurfsdabomb

Postby john@staustell » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:33 am

smurfsdabomb wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
Blue2 wrote:Early days, if any manager had spent £200m in 12 mths I reckon he could manage a team to have won the last 3 games.

Not too sure about that mate. Someone else may have bought a load of fancy Italians like that bloke just signed for Liverpool, with little chance of them adapting to the Premier. Quite like the fact that nearly all our signings are good Premier players.

Silly post, Aquilani is a renowned playmaker throughout the game. Calling him a "fancy italian" is fairly ignorant, he isn't someone like Bianchi.

He will fail, and Benitez with him.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:34 am

smurfsdabomb wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
smurfsdabomb wrote:
I am, or at least certainly was. I'm not too crazy about the manner the club is progressing though

Yeah I know what you mean mate...signing all these world class stars is really getting me down too...

I'm talking more about signing Tevez from sworn enemies, selling your captain so you can accomodate an asshole with more loyalty to his bank balance than his club, in fact add in Barry and you've got two of those. Adebayour is a horrible person, a moaner who'll complain at the first sight of something wrong, Bellamy is an arrogant twat, Robinho probably is too but I like his cheeky nature so I'll let him off with that!

Previous signings like Kompany, Corluka, Given, Zab, Petrov, Elano etc were masterful. Brilliant players on the field, very likable off it. It made for an easy to support team. Not so much anymore, I just didn't like a lot of the players they brought in this summer, reminded me of more expensive versions of the mistakes Keane made at Sunderland when he brought in disruptive influences like Diouf, Cisse and Chimbonda.

They are just players all of them. Don't get too emotionally attached to them. I don't. Anymore. Mercenaries the lot of them. I'm only cared about the club and for me the Club are the supporters and our history (and future).

I don't care what name is on players back as long as he does business. If he doesn't then we'll just have to find someone who does.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john68 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:34 am

Hughes's neck is certainly on the line this season. He has been allowed to bring the investment forward in order to reach CL level earlier. That is a big ask but it seems to be one of his own making. It is a big gamble for him to make.
Sorry Antti, loved your post but it is far too early to tell. This season will be judged solely on results and we ain't played anyone of note yet.
Our midfield looks distinctly unbalanced with SWP and Robbie coming inside so much, it increases pressure on the full backs and defenders. In all our games, we have allowed too many crosses into our box. Up to now. our central defenders and Given have dealt with it but we have yet to be tested by the better teams. There is still a lot of work to be done and a lot of questions answered.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Wooders » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:35 am

reeks of WUM in here
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Dazzacity » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:36 am

Early days yet but surely we are building a squad with so much quality that it could almost take care of itself. Think Hughes would really have to be trying hard to balls this one up.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:37 am

Wooders wrote:reeks of WUM in here

I wasn't WUMming.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Wooders » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:38 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Wooders wrote:reeks of WUM in here

I wasn't WUMming.

You weren't, no.
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby steveo_88 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:44 am

I think MH has made a sound start to the season but i would wait to at least 10 games into the PL season before judging how competitive this Manchester City side will be in regards to breaking the top four and winning a trophy. By this time we will be able to see if we can consistently win away and beat sides from both ends of the table. Two things that last year we weren't able to achieve.
South Stand Blue

steveo_88
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:45 am

john68 wrote:Hughes's neck is certainly on the line this season. He has been allowed to bring the investment forward in order to reach CL level earlier. That is a big ask but it seems to be one of his own making. It is a big gamble for him to make.
Sorry Antti, loved your post but it is far too early to tell. This season will be judged solely on results and we ain't played anyone of note yet.
Our midfield looks distinctly unbalanced with SWP and Robbie coming inside so much, it increases pressure on the full backs and defenders. In all our games, we have allowed too many crosses into our box. Up to now. our central defenders and Given have dealt with it but we have yet to be tested by the better teams. There is still a lot of work to be done and a lot of questions answered.

We look a little bit like a modern day, advanced version of Keegan's Newcastle to me at the moment but the difference is that we do have the players to change the way we play if we start getting mugged. That's where Hughes has been clever imo; he can field several different types of team with the players he's brought in. If we need to battle in the middle of the season we have the players to do it.

A season like Keegan's Newcastle had wouldn't be that bad come to think of it!
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue Since 76 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:54 am

Slim wrote:Little premature there antii, let's wait till Christmas...after all that was the lickers policy (until we were languishing just above relegation at Christmas, then it was the end of the season)

I'm not saying he has won me over, far from it. But he is doing well selection and tactiswise right now. Even I can't claim otherwise.

Sorry, but I've got to completely and utterly disagree with that. I think he's bought great players and, at the moment, he's getting away with it because they are so good. The impression I finished last season off with is still there - he can spot and buy good players (Kompany, de Jong, Given, Barry, Tevez, Adebayor etc, etc) but doesn't seem to be able to coach them or set them up tactically. It's almost as if he'd make a better director of football. Some of the choices for certain positions look suspect too - has Zab gone backwards if Richard's is a better fullback?

I've only actually seen the Wolves & Barca games and had to listen to commentaries for the others, so maybe I've missed something, but the balance of the team looks all wrong around the midfield area. It's not how I'd set it up, but I'm no expert, so maybe it will come good.

I'd also expect to see de Jong's toys flying soon, and possibly Kompany's once he's fit, as they won't be happy on the bench in a world cup year, but that's a problem for the future.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ross.mcfc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:56 am

Pleased with the start but I dont think we should be having an open top bus parade anytime soon either. We've beaten a chamionship side and a newly promoted side at home and got a good result at a midtable side at best.

Even if we beat Pompy on Sunday which we really should if we lose to United and Arsenal it will be Hughes out all over again.

I am and always have been behind Hughes however after the money spent and the players he has signed over the summer he should be judge on his results against Arsenal and United and our league postion in November and not after two league games one of which I would have expected to win in the Pearce or Sven era.
ross.mcfc

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:01 pm

Far to early to tell but the signs are encouraging. I'm watching extremely entertaining football and some of the best interchanging of passing in the final third I've ever seen in the premiership.

We've past the first typical city hurdle of losing in the second round of the league cup.

Hopefully that will continue against Pompey. The real test will be against Arsenal and United.

However, after Sven's reign I'm never getting over excited about the team again. From such expectation to such lows, means I will only judge a manager over an entire season and not just one part of it.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:It has to be said even by me. We have improved dramatically from last season and playing really well although there are still room for improvement on many areas. But as I've always said, you can't argue with results and he is getting them. Let's hope we can continue to do that and this isn't just momentarily improvement.

I agree with so much of what has been said here. I have been labelled as a Hughes fan and I suppose rightly so but I have said before and I still know it's true that the jury is out as to whether he really can put together a trophy winning side. ( the league especially)I do feel he has gone about things exceptionally well in terms of handling the media , dealing with troublesome players within the camp , installing the right mentality in players and the team , buying in the right quality of players both in terms of character and ability but the real test has just started.

He made some strange decisions last year and we all watch with interest and excitement as the season unfolds. So far it's been great as we have played some top football and kept 3 important clean sheets ( 4 with that friendly against some rubbish team called Barcalona lol) So much more improvement to come I think and that word gel does come into it. They are showing great signs but you can see times when they don't quite read each other properly in all areas of the pitch but it will get better. Individuals I am sure will get better and fantasic performances will follow.

I just hope that lady luck stays with us as well. So far we have had the rub of the green and chances have been missed or Shay has performed wonders or the ref misses something. It's how we react to adversity that will be most important. Let's hope we dont need to for a long time yet.

Then there is the question of handling all the stars we have and keeping them happy. I can't wait for the next game.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby saulman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:08 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:It has to be said even by me. We have improved dramatically from last season and playing really well although there are still room for improvement on many areas. But as I've always said, you can't argue with results and he is getting them. Let's hope we can continue to do that and this isn't just momentarily improvement.

Well said, mate. It's very early days and a lot can go wrong but so far our Lesley, with the support of the board, has done everything right.

I wonder what sort of threads we'll be seeing after the Scum and Arse games. That's when we'll get a much clearer picture of where we are.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby smurfsdabomb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:29 pm

smurfsdabomb wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
smurfsdabomb wrote:

They are just players all of them. Don't get too emotionally attached to them. I don't. Anymore. Mercenaries the lot of them. I'm only cared about the club and for me the Club are the supporters and our history (and future).

I don't care what name is on players back as long as he does business. If he doesn't then we'll just have to find someone who does.

I suppose I'm different in that regard, I'm not from Manchester or even the UK so I'm not going to be supporting a club because of its name or stadium or any other reason, it's all about the players, manager and reputation of fans for me. All of which are variables that change all the time, so it does affect my outlook on a club when players I like (Dunne, Corluka, Elano) leaves and several players I don't like (Tevez, Adebayour, Lescott) come in.
smurfsdabomb

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum