Credit To Hughes

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Credit To Hughes

Postby avoidconfusion » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:37 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:It has to be said even by me. We have improved dramatically from last season and playing really well although there are still room for improvement on many areas. But as I've always said, you can't argue with results and he is getting them. Let's hope we can continue to do that and this isn't just momentarily improvement.

WHAT...THE... FUCK???

Did someone hack into NQDP's account??
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:51 pm

smurfsdabomb wrote:
I suppose I'm different in that regard, I'm not from Manchester or even the UK so I'm not going to be supporting a club because of its name or stadium or any other reason, it's all about the players, manager and reputation of fans for me. All of which are variables that change all the time, so it does affect my outlook on a club when players I like (Dunne, Corluka, Elano) leaves and several players I don't like (Tevez, Adebayour, Lescott) come in.

I'm not from Manchester or even UK either. But truth is being Blue grows on you like a second skin. Maybe it was about individual players or managers or reputation of supporters in the beginning but after the time goes by it's just part of you like your arm or leg, you don't even think about it, you just ARE Blue. Players, managers, grounds, owners etc come and go. Only steady thing are the supporters and the history.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Hazy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Credit it to NQDP, however with such things as following City ! I think splinters from fence sitting would be advisable,Hughes cannot lose we win something like a cup we all are winner we lose 5 on the bounce and he is sacked with a 5 mill payoff, we get a new manager and the owner has a squad of players to fill the Colin Bell stand with people who are awake.
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby david yearsley » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:26 pm

J68 more or less encapsulated my own way of thinking - still unconvinced about Les tactically and motivationally - I just get the feeling that Twitchy, loathesome as he is , would manage to get even more from this squad - the test will be when we go behind away from home - can we turn it round? Football is great to watch so I will continue to support him
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley

Postby john@staustell » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:36 pm

smurfsdabomb wrote:[

I suppose I'm different in that regard, I'm not from Manchester or even the UK so I'm not going to be supporting a club because of its name or stadium or any other reason, it's all about the players, manager and reputation of fans for me. All of which are variables that change all the time, so it does affect my outlook on a club when players I like (Dunne, Corluka, Elano) leaves and several players I don't like (Tevez, Adebayour, Lescott) come in.

You seem to have arrived at us in a particular moment in time (the Sven season?) and anything before or after is no good to you. Sorry but wherever you come from that is bizarre. You also are an incredibly poor judge of players, as those 3 players have left (are leaving) becuase they are not good enough to take us into a top 4 position, for differing reasons (see numerous threads).

Corluka was shipped out after the Villa debacle because he's probably the slowest RB Les has ever seen (ask Spurs fans!) despite his obvious ball-playing qualities!

And what do you mean 'don't like' players? Have you met them? Don't you like Adebayor's goals?

NQDP is quite right that it's the name and the supporters that are the club. Everything else changes.

I am torn between thinking you are a RAG come on here to wind us up, just a passing glory-hunter who will now move on to Notts County or Galatasaray, or an idiot!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby carolina-blue » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:50 pm

Cant think of a better thread to pop in my 500th post Well In NQD ,As pretty much stated results will dictate , But I am very happy with The way things are going . Imo Hughes is doing a great job with the media, the signings, & Dougs reports suggest a happy training ground , all in all great summer and start to the season lets just keep on trucking .
carolina-blue

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:57 pm

Slim wrote:Little premature there antii, let's wait till Christmas...after all that was the lickers policy (until we were languishing just above relegation at Christmas, then it was the end of the season)

With Slim on this one. Lets give it 15 games at least before we start any parades.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:58 pm

An all-round good performance by the boss from me............so far! He got us playing well (at home) last season when he had so many players to integrate and settle, as well as sorting quite a few problems behind the scenes. He's conducted himself (and the club) very well during this time, and the closed season, bringing some excellent players in (even though people stated that he didn't have that pulling power).

And so far, we've had a 100% start to the season including 2 very tricky away games (3 with the Barca game) which we would have usually lost. Like I said, a good all-round performance so far and let's just have faith that we can keep this winning mentality going, because I know I sure have!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Personally I think it might be a bit early in the day for giving him credit, although one could argue that regardless off his future our squad has definitely improved considerably, hardly difficult considering out outlay though.

I have seen enough in the last few games to be very optimistic about the clubs future.

However I have also seen a bit to be concerned about again as regards Hughes management, his dithering when making changes, and failing to act when the screw is being turned by the opposition, I am referring to Wolves in the second half.

In my opinion the next few weeks will tell us much more, starting with hapless Pompey, (a City style banana skin if I ever saw one ), then the Arse and rags.
CITYTILLIDIE11
pot noodle style supporter
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby trout man » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:39 pm

smurfsdabomb wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
smurfsdabomb wrote:
I am, or at least certainly was. I'm not too crazy about the manner the club is progressing though

Yeah I know what you mean mate...signing all these world class stars is really getting me down too...

I'm talking more about signing Tevez from sworn enemies, selling your captain so you can accomodate an asshole with more loyalty to his bank balance than his club, in fact add in Barry and you've got two of those. Adebayour is a horrible person, a moaner who'll complain at the first sight of something wrong, Bellamy is an arrogant twat, Robinho probably is too but I like his cheeky nature so I'll let him off with that!

Previous signings like Kompany, Corluka, Given, Zab, Petrov, Elano etc were masterful. Brilliant players on the field, very likable off it. It made for an easy to support team. Not so much anymore, I just didn't like a lot of the players they brought in this summer, reminded me of more expensive versions of the mistakes Keane made at Sunderland when he brought in disruptive influences like Diouf, Cisse and Chimbonda.

I think you have some interesting points there smurf, but I think the crux of how all this will pan out, will be in the style and success of the team over the next six months. If things go well and MH keeps a tight reign on things I think the players may well gel together and obviously us fans will enjoy the experience. If things get out of hand and a run of results go poorly, then there is a line of thought that predicts 'trouble at mill' but I feel that one should not be dwelling on 'typical city' but just go along for the ride and enjoy it. I think our owner, his advisors and the current management set up are intelligent and focused and I really feel that there will be no tolerance of fucking around from the players or they will be bench warming or out of the club.

Maybe we are all changing for the better. Hope springs eternal.
Hoping our new rollercoaster gives us the thrill of our lives.
trout man
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Ellie and City
My favourite player is: Vinnie

Postby Vhero » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:43 pm

Too premature for this kind of posting no? Besides no matter how bad of a manager you are with top quality on your side your not gonna fail to get somewhere. However I think he's done well getting the players he has basically his off pitch actions are impressive to me but its too early this season to congratulate him for on pitch achievements.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby edge275 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:43 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:It has to be said even by me. We have improved dramatically from last season and playing really well although there are still room for improvement on many areas. But as I've always said, you can't argue with results and he is getting them. Let's hope we can continue to do that and this isn't just momentarily improvement.

I agree. Credit to Hughes.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:48 pm

edge275 wrote:

Oh bugger! Now I know I'm dreaming. I'm gonna wake up in a minute & Pearce will be there with that Beanie fucking horse...
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:49 pm

Vhero wrote:Too premature for this kind of posting no? Besides no matter how bad of a manager you are with top quality on your side your not gonna fail to get somewhere. However I think he's done well getting the players he has basically his off pitch actions are impressive to me but its too early this season to congratulate him for on pitch achievements.

Mmmmmmm, do we not remember a certain Spuds Manager?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Oh bugger! Now I know I'm dreaming. I'm gonna wake up in a minute & Pearce will be there with that Beanie fucking horse...

Dev said that he'd rather have Beanie in charge than Mark Hughes back then.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
edge275 wrote:

Dev said that he'd rather have Beanie in charge than Mark Hughes back then.

Now I think about it the whole thing is ridiculous. As if we'd be taken over by the Prime Minister of Thailand who appoints Sven Goran Eriksson then becomes a fugitive so we're taken over by Abu Dhabi got & Robinho playing for us & managed by Mark fucking Hughes!

It's a fucking dream. I knew it all along really. Ah well, Da Marcus Beasley it is then...
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby shawzy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Its a great start for sure.Cant remember the last time we started a season winning 3 and conceding 0.
Very impressed with the style of play..At times as good if not better than any of the top 4.
From the MF to forward line id say we are a top 4 side.I am still abit concerned with the defense.Its early days and we will get better.
Im impressed with the manager so far, but its still a little early to judge.
A good test for Hughes is when we lose a game.A good manager can see it as a small blip and instantly come back in the next game with a win.
shawzy

My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby crossan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Slim wrote:Little premature there antii, let's wait till Christmas...after all that was the lickers policy (until we were languishing just above relegation at Christmas, then it was the end of the season)

Well with the money that's been spent I should hope that there would be an improvement...............hopefully we shall be on a long winning run and the newies will accept the squad rotation at a little club ( fergies words) like us;-)
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby Vhero » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:19 pm

Also people are talking about not conceding any but if it wasnt for Shay and the crossbar that would be a differnt story.. We have been lucky more than anything not to concede.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby shawzy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:23 pm

Vhero wrote:Also people are talking about not conceding any but if it wasnt for Shay and the crossbar that would be a differnt story.. We have been lucky more than anything not to concede.

Our opposition have also been very lucky that we didnt score more so its pretty even stevens in the luck department.
Look at the rags last season with those eleven 1-0 wins.
shawzy

My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum