Abramovich and co. to force Mutu to retire?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Abramovich and co. to force Mutu to retire?

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:14 pm

saulman wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
saulman wrote:

However, this thread is about Mutu and his drug use. Does he really deserve to have his career wrecked because he took cocaine?

Does he deserve to face the consequences of a court ruling that he breached his contract? Yes he does.

If those consequenses mean that he is forced to retire, then I disagree.

He should have thought of that before buying and taking the Class As.

He made a conscious decision to take an action which meant he was breaking of the terms of his contract and now he is trying to avoid having to abide by the court's decision. I see no reason why we should ignore our whole legal system for this one man, a man who after all couldn't even be bothered obeying the laws of the land or keeping the terms of his employment.

I am sure Mr Mutu was more than happy to take the money and the trappings. Well, unfortunately that also goes for the clubs who fork out huge sums of money for players. The principle remains the same as in any walk of life. You break you contract, you get hit by the courts. If you don't want the punishment, don't do the crime.

I have no sympathy for him. Nor have I any for Fiorentina, who knew the situation either before or very soon after they gave him a job but have used it to profit themselves. And let's face it they are no angels either, are they?

I am sure he could be given an option to pay by instalments like we would have to. He must have some money behind him, haveing been a professional footballer for over ten years.

That is of course unless he has snorted it all up his nose.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Steve » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:42 pm

I feel a bit sorry for the lad as everybody makes mistakes. 17million euros for taking a couple of party drugs? Im sure there are players out there doing the same thing having a great laugh at his expense. It is sad when a player who has made one mistake, which hurt nobody else but himself is forced to retire, and players like Joey Barton can go around throwing their weight as often as they like with no worries of such punishment.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Renato_CTID » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:50 pm

What would happen if Mutu hasn't enough money to pay? Jail for all of his life? This isn't tru justice, this is shit!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Renato_CTID wrote:What would happen if Mutu hasn't enough money to pay? Jail for all of his life? This isn't tru justice, this is shit!

No, if he cant afford to pay or wont, he cannot play for another club.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby paulmclaren » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:08 pm

saulman wrote:Very draconian this if you ask me. So the lad was into his coke and enjoyed the same lavish lifestyle that a large percentage of people who earn that sort of money enjoy. He hasn't hurt anyone. He's hardly Joey Barton now is he?

Forcing him to retire is a total fuckin joke and way too far IMO.

I agree and don't really.
Basically, he is getting the hard end of the stick.
Others footballers have done the same and recieved 6 month bans.
But because of the transfer fee involved in this transfer.
Chelsea got ripped basically.
So Abramovic is trying to make Mutu pay because they didn't get there moneys worth.
Because footy players are in such a public profile type thingy.
They will get riddiculed for everything they do 'bad'.
I think this is right really as do not forget footballers get away these days with signing contracts and not abiding by the rules.
I.E, fucking off froma club once they have signed a 5 year contract against the clubs wishes.
Fucking hell , I'm on 1 today me with these replys lol :P
paulmclaren
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city f.c
My favourite player is: Carlos Tevez

Postby Scorchio » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:35 pm

There is a huge difference between footballers and merchant bankers. Besides recent events who could name a merchant banker? They are not on television every week or in the papers all the time (again, barring recent events). Most kids dont look up to them, though a few may aspire to be merchant bankers. As far as I am aware bankers dont have random drug tests. That is the most important, as Mutu would only have been too aware of the consequences of taking drugs.

People do things that they shouldnt because they dont think they will get caught. Or even if they do there is little consequence.
Chelsea have shown every footballer what can happen. Who wants to be the next Mutu? No one if he gets the right punishment. If they let him off its the green light for drug use.

His contract was clear. He signed it. He would have had excellent legal advice after the fact and since. He is obviously in the wrong.

Personally I am relaxed about drug use and would be in favour of broad legalisation. But if you agree to abide by a set of rules and pen your name to it and break those rules, you deserve everything you get.
Scorchio
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:03 pm

This is a wierd one ain't it? On one hand, the lad clearly broke the rules and had to be disciplined, which he duly was. On the other hand, it was at a point when him and Jose were having a very public row regarding international duty, if I remember rightly, and the possibility of his future at Chelsea well up for debate.

At the same time, Chelsea publicly sacked Mutu (and rightly so) knowing that his ban would be up within the year. For me at the time, this whole issue should have been resolved by the player and Chelsea, however it was dragged out in the comp courts to the tune of about 10 mil (upped at appeal). It all seemed so 'Scape-Goat' for me which I disagree with. I'd say every one of us have made a mistake in the past, and been given the opportunity to rectify it, but this just seems to be another way of getting at a person who has served his time!

I wonder how much Mutu would earn in the remainder of his career?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Scorchio wrote:There is a huge difference between footballers and merchant bankers. Besides recent events who could name a merchant banker? They are not on television every week or in the papers all the time (again, barring recent events). Most kids dont look up to them, though a few may aspire to be merchant bankers. As far as I am aware bankers dont have random drug tests. That is the most important, as Mutu would only have been too aware of the consequences of taking drugs.

People do things that they shouldnt because they dont think they will get caught. Or even if they do there is little consequence.
Chelsea have shown every footballer what can happen. Who wants to be the next Mutu? No one if he gets the right punishment. If they let him off its the green light for drug use.

His contract was clear. He signed it. He would have had excellent legal advice after the fact and since. He is obviously in the wrong.

Personally I am relaxed about drug use and would be in favour of broad legalisation. But if you agree to abide by a set of rules and pen your name to it and break those rules, you deserve everything you get.

I agree with everything on this post.

The fact is that these players are paid astronomical sums of money to, literally, keep their nose clean and be role model to kids. That's what you sign up for. If you want to do coke that's up to you but according to rules of your CHOSEN profession you simply can't do it. You can go flipping burgers in McDonald's and no one will mind your little coke habit.

Anyhow, players professional career takes roughly 15 years between ages 19 and 34. After that, if you have half a braincell, you are financially sorted for life big time and can do whatever it is that you want to do. But there are certain restrictions to yor life during those 15 years in exchange for all that money. It's not that hard life to live anyway, you have only few hours a day work and then play games once or twice a week. Millions and millions of people dream of doing that and would be willing to refuse coke.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum