Abramovich and co. to force Mutu to retire?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Abramovich and co. to force Mutu to retire?

Postby Esky » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:14 am

http://goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2009/08/29/1468381/fiorentina-striker-adrian-mutu-forced-to-retire-from

Fiorentina Striker Adrian Mutu Forced To Retire From Football Over Chelsea Compensation - Report

The striker will be forced to quit football by Chelsea if he doesn't pay the compensation within the next 48 hours, according to reports in Italy...

Adrian Mutu will be forced to quit football by Chelsea if he doesn't pay them the €17,173,990 compensation he was ordered to by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), and the race is now on to try and save his career, according to La Nazione.

Mutu has until Monday to pay Chelsea the compensation. If he doesn't, then the Premier League side will apply to FIFA for a ban, and that in turn will push Mutu into retirement.

The race is now on to try and find a solution and the report suggests Mutu is looking at every avenue. It is said Fiorentina and the player's legal team are looking towards UEFA and the European Courts for a hand. Furthermore, voices in Italy claim Chelsea are in no mood to offer the player a chance to find the cash. He either pays, or stops playing football, putting his career at risk.

News emerging from Italy has shocked the country, and Florence in particular. The Della Valle family who own Fiorentina are also getting involved and they have applied to the Italian FA to support them. Italian minister for work Maurizio Sacconi is urging the Berlusconi-led government to take action in an attempt to save the player's career.

"The Mutu case is delicate and I urge the government to get involved," said the minister.

It is also said Juventus and Livorno are ready to back Mutu in his plea for justice. There are serious fears that the game against Palermo tomorrow night could be his last. The player's legal team and club are working over time in an attempt to explore new avenues and buy him more time.

As a last resort, the paper has even suggested a fund raising event in the city in an attempt to help the striker pay the massive sum.

All this comes from the player's sacking by Chelsea in October 2004 when he was found positive for cocaine during a doping test. Mutu was then ordered to pay Chelsea €17m in damages after the CAS rejected an appeal following the initial compensation decision last year.

In May 2008, the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber ruled that Mutu had committed a breach of contract whilst at Chelsea after he was found positive for a doping test in 2004.

Mutu appealed to the CAS against the decision, but the panel upheld the original judgement by the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber, and ruled in favour of Chelsea. The decision means Mutu will have to pay the Premier League side a total of €17,173,990 in compensation.

The striker is now trying desperately to find a solution and it is said he will take the case to the high courts.

Fiorentina are also concerned over the prospect of losing their star player as they will stand to receive no compensation should he be suspended and/or retire.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Re: Abramovich and co. to force Mutu to retire?

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:18 am

Good.

I realise Chelsea are hardly the ones you want to hold up as a paragon here, but fortunately they have come down on the right side. Drug using footballers should be banned from the sport worldwide and for the most part that never happens because there is always some club willing to take on players with whatever baggage. This way he gets forced from the game without the opportunity of fucking off to play for Galatasaray or something.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:44 am

He either complies with a court order or he faces the consequences - that is as simple as it gets. He only has himself to blame and I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby irblinx » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:21 am

Slim wrote:Good.

I realise Chelsea are hardly the ones you want to hold up as a paragon here, but fortunately they have come down on the right side. Drug using footballers should be banned from the sport worldwide and for the most part that never happens because there is always some club willing to take on players with whatever baggage. This way he gets forced from the game without the opportunity of fucking off to play for Galatasaray or something.

spot on, I also don't believe for one second that he can't afford to pay. Mutu was a great player for Chelsea and cost around £25m, we have seen plenty of clubs in the past cop out when a player that is worth a decent amount is found guilty of any kind of offence. Chelsea did the absolute correct thing and for Mutu to have gotten off so lightly and been able to resume his career just 7 months later shows how soft the football authorities are. Juve knew at the time that they were essentially stealing the player being able to sign him on a free so if they truly want to support him maybe they should pay half the fine.
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:33 am

So Mutu had a bad problem and Chelsea got pissed that they wasted money on a crack head. Ok thats one thing, forcing the guy to retire and pay them money back in my opinion is out of order. He had a problem and he dealt with it. End of. No need to ruin the guys life over it, and its not like Chelsea need the cash. The recreational use of drugs in sport is common and its naive to think otherwise.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby saulman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:02 am

Very draconian this if you ask me. So the lad was into his coke and enjoyed the same lavish lifestyle that a large percentage of people who earn that sort of money enjoy. He hasn't hurt anyone. He's hardly Joey Barton now is he?

Forcing him to retire is a total fuckin joke and way too far IMO.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Fish111 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:07 am

Agree entirely, Bartons numerous victims should put in massive compensation claims and force that scrote to retire as well, why should that thug get to carry on his career earning millions whilst his victims have to carry on as normal. Same goes for the prick who played for WBA who ran away from a car accident leaving someone dead and the Plymouth goalkeeper who killed two boys in Cheshire, no doubt he'll get signed by someone when he gets out.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby saulman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:10 am

Fish111 wrote:

Agree entirely, Bartons numerous victims should put in massive compensation claims and force that scrote to retire as well, why should that thug get to carry on his career earning millions whilst his victims have to carry on as normal. Same goes for the prick who played for WBA who ran away from a car accident leaving someone dead and the Plymouth goalkeeper who killed two boys in Cheshire, no doubt he'll get signed by someone when he gets out.

People make mistakes from all walks of life. Should their lives be destroyed without a chance to put their lives back on track?

Fuck it, why don't we just put them down with a lethal injection.
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Fish111 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:20 am

Being a footballer is not just getting your life 'back on track' is it. They are paid extortionate amounts of money in comparrison to their victims whome they have assaulted and KILLED and do not deserve the privelage of slipping back into the luxorious lifestyle once they serve their few months prison term. Lethal injection? Maybe a bit harsh but they should at least serve enough time that when they are released they are too old to be able to resume their careers and start collecting obscene wages again.
Fish111

Postby saulman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:25 am

Fish111 wrote:Being a footballer is not just getting your life 'back on track' is it. They are paid extortionate amounts of money in comparrison to their victims whome they have assaulted and KILLED and do not deserve the privelage of slipping back into the luxorious lifestyle once they serve their few months prison term. Lethal injection? Maybe a bit harsh but they should at least serve enough time that when they are released they are too old to be able to resume their careers and start collecting obscene wages again.

Mate, I couldn't disagree with you more. Are you suggesting that we have seperate laws to deal with footballers? What about footballers in the lower leagues who earn less? What about amateur footballers?

What about merchant bankers? They live a lavish lifestyle and live a privilaged lifestyle too. Should they be stripped of their wealth once they've served their time?

By the way, who was Mutus 'victim'?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Fish111 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:34 am

saulman wrote:
Fish111 wrote:Being a footballer is not just getting your life 'back on track' is it. They are paid extortionate amounts of money in comparrison to their victims whome they have assaulted and KILLED and do not deserve the privelage of slipping back into the luxorious lifestyle once they serve their few months prison term. Lethal injection? Maybe a bit harsh but they should at least serve enough time that when they are released they are too old to be able to resume their careers and start collecting obscene wages again.

Mate, I couldn't disagree with you more. Are you suggesting that we have seperate laws to deal with footballers? What about footballers in the lower leagues who earn less? What about amateur footballers?

What about merchant bankers? They live a lavish lifestyle and live a privilaged lifestyle too. Should they be stripped of their wealth once they've served their time?

Not seperate laws for footballers no not at all, just would like to see sentences reflect the crime and taking into acount current & future earnings would come into that in my eutopia.

Merchant bankers would not ge back into banking if convicted of fraud so yes they would lose their privelaged lifestyle and so as a consequence be stripped of their wealth. They'd have to go in another direction in life.

Snorting charlie is not a victimless crime, think where it comes from, how it gets here and the people who distribute it on the streets and the people who haven't the riches of footballers who buy it. There are victims all the way aling the line (excuse the pun)

Going a little off topic now though, happy to debate elsewhere though :-)
Fish111

Postby saulman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:43 am

Fish111 wrote:
saulman wrote:

Not seperate laws for footballers no not at all, just would like to see sentences reflect the crime and taking into acount current & future earnings would come into that in my eutopia.

Merchant bankers would not ge back into banking if convicted of fraud so yes they would lose their privelaged lifestyle and so as a consequence be stripped of their wealth. They'd have to go in another direction in life.

Snorting charlie is not a victimless crime, think where it comes from, how it gets here and the people who distribute it on the streets and the people who haven't the riches of footballers who buy it. There are victims all the way aling the line (excuse the pun)

Going a little off topic now though, happy to debate elsewhere though :-)

Mate, I've done the illegal drugs debate a thousand times. I know where it come from and I know who the victims are. US, Joe Public, the poor fuckers who sweep up the mess of all the organised crime that it breeds.

My point is that Footballers should not be made examples of and treated differently. They should be treated the same as everyone else. If they make a mistake should be punished accordingly and then they should be afforded the same rehabilitation as everyone else in society.

In Mutus case, his punishment far outweighs his 'crime'. What good is it to see a talent such as his wasted simply because he was enjoying some recreational drugs? Like I said, he's hasn't hurt or killed anyone.
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:45 am

Wait, aren't they already? Joey Barton beats someone and gets a slap on the wrist or nothing at all, Gerrard gets aquiited, Pennant gets found guilty but gets to keep making money and playing albeit with a new piece of jewelry. Footballers get special treatment all the time and now they are copping one back you want to defend them? Where's your head?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby saulman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:51 am

Slim wrote:Wait, aren't they already? Joey Barton beats someone and gets a slap on the wrist or nothing at all, Gerrard gets aquiited, Pennant gets found guilty but gets to keep making money and playing albeit with a new piece of jewelry. Footballers get special treatment all the time and now they are copping one back you want to defend them? Where's your head?

Mate, that's not about footballers. It's about money and the legal defence they can afford to hire.

You ever heard of Mr. Loophole? He's a solicitor in Cheshire who gets drivers to keep their licences because he's an expert at finding loopholes in the law. If I got pissed and got caught driving I could simply hire this guy and he'd get me off. Unfortunately, I can't afford him so I'd be fucked. People with lots of money can afford him.

Look at O.J. Simpson, or Michael Jackson. Look at the lawyers and legal teams they could afford and the amounts they could afford to pay people off. The law always favours the rich.

However, this thread is about Mutu and his drug use. Does he really deserve to have his career wrecked because he took cocaine?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:10 am

saulman wrote:

However, this thread is about Mutu and his drug use. Does he really deserve to have his career wrecked because he took cocaine?

Does he deserve to face the consequences of a court ruling that he breached his contract? Yes he does.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby saulman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:40 am

Dameerto wrote:
saulman wrote:

Does he deserve to face the consequences of a court ruling that he breached his contract? Yes he does.

If those consequenses mean that he is forced to retire, then I disagree.
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:45 am

I am with you fully
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:46 am

saulman wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
saulman wrote:

If those consequenses mean that he is forced to retire, then I disagree.

The consequenses are that he pays compensation for breaching his contract - if he choses to not pay then he will face sanctions. He is the master of his own destiny.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Vhero » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:54 am

Hopefully he will set an example for future players.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Renato_CTID » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 pm

And so, tovarich Roman, could Diego Armando Maradona have played football or more easily been arrested by some of your clever bodyguards? Like Paul the Scouser sang in the past "BACK TO THE USSR / YOU KNOW HOW LUCKY YOU ARE, BOY ..."
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum