* Official Match Thread - Portsmouth Away *

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: * Official Match Thread - Portsmouth Away *

Postby OhDannyBoy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Ireland was injured, surely that was clear to see?

I wouldnt be surprised if a news story pops up on our site soon saying he will be out with a foot injury.

He got a full stooded challange from brown in the first half, and after that was hardly in the game
OhDannyBoy
Superman's Underpants

Postby david yearsley » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:40 pm

So glad we finally put one over that fuclin yard-dog - Brown was brought in to do a job but Stevie was well below par with his touches, decisions and passing today but I´m glad he´s got this out of the way and he´ll be back to his best in a fortnight
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby zuricity » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:40 pm

One cap Whitey wrote:I thought we looked pretty solid at the back today. Lescott looked much better. Shay just had one block to make in the whole game.

Difficult to say. Pompey were unrecognisable from last years squad. Our next opposition would have tore them apart.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:41 pm

I think we can safely say that Ireland was taked off due to injury rather than not being brilliant.
As for Robinho not playing is that really a problem? Not for a second do I think Bellamy had a great game but the team won't stay the same for every match and this seemed to me an ideal time to leave Robinho out.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:42 pm

david yearsley wrote:Irelands worse game for a while too- there was definitely tiredness last 20 - don´t forget Pompey played Tues and had 2 more days rest and they had 2 fresh, new players who came in - the midfield isn´t right and I was surprised Tevez wasn´t buzzing everywhere being the fulcrum when we needed an outlet - so many times we came away with the ball but no-one showed - that´s what Tevez was bought for and he was missing - maybe he´s still not match fit - coz of this we gave the ball away time and time again
Thankfully the defence was strong although we rode our luck - still 2 away wins in the bag already - we needed a whole season to achieve that last time

Well he did get stamped on by Michael Brown.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby edge275 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:42 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I think we can safely say that Ireland was taked off due to injury rather than not being brilliant.
As for Robinho not playing is that really a problem? Not for a second do I think Bellamy had a great game but the team won't stay the same for every match and this seemed to me an ideal time to leave Robinho out.

Why do you think it was the ideal time?
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby xavi6 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I think we can safely say that Ireland was taked off due to injury rather than not being brilliant.

Spot on Doug.

I think Bellamy was chosen for his ability to track back. Pompey is a horrible place to go at the best of times and we couldn't afford to leave one of our full backs exposed. Van Den Borre is quick and fit and I doubt Robby would have been too arsed tracking him back.

No problems with the decision.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby JB » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Slim wrote:I think we got screwed today, I cannot remember the whistle blowing and me being this pissed off.

Barry not involved in the play, Micah scores, 2 fucking nil.

Tevez got fucking mugged at the death, 3-0.

And for the last 10 minutes, Pompey were getting freekicks for a puppy dog look glanced in Webb's direction.

I agree with that assessment. Brown should have been yellow carded at least twice - not that I am comparing Webb with Poll.
JB
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:45 pm

Not the most flowing of performances but I am extremely pleased to win away against thirteen men, particularly at a place where we were at our very worst last season.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Renato_CTID » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:46 pm

I think Wayne Bridge was simply outstanding today. A hard worker with great stuff, I don't remember anyelse stronger dressing our blue shirt in this role than him!!!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby david yearsley » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:46 pm

Yeah, agree possibly Stevie was carrying a knock and that contributed - two weeks thankfully to get him right - I´m looking forward to the day when some cnut cripples Brown - he´s got the Karma coming his way filthy twat!
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:46 pm

xavi6 wrote:

Spot on Doug.

I think Bellamy was chosen for his ability to track back. Pompey is a horrible place to go at the best of times and we couldn't afford to leave one of our full backs exposed. Van Den Borre is quick and fit and I doubt Robby would have been too arsed tracking him back.

I think Xavi answers the question perfectly. We might have won by more with Robinho in but we will never know now. I think we missed some of his invention and interplay but we did have a bit more of a holding presence with Bellamy even if he didn't play very well ( apart from setting up an excellent second goal of course)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Vantage » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:48 pm

The Good

Didn't play well against a formation set up frustrate us and won 3 points is all you get for a win can't get any more
Ade = complete class

The Bad

Webb had a Pompey shirt on under his ref's kit
Ireland might be injured
Brown could have dry bummed Tevez and still not got booked
Heart stopping moments in defence when Utaka and Nugent came on
The first XI are going to take a few more games to figure out how to play together
I still (despite palace) think we can't play SWP and Ireland together
Rigsby should have started instead of Bellamy who isn't cutting it so far this season
Richards is a shadow of his former self

The Ugly
Could Rob being rested be an omen for a move to Barca?...
We're not cohesive enough to kill off shit sides like Pompey
Hughes lacks a plan B tactically

On the other hand
Look at the fookin stats, not conceding, undefeated equalled last seasons away record already - do the city city sheikh!
Have you seen my bongos?
Vantage
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Paul Lake

Postby zuricity » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:50 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
xavi6 wrote:

Spot on Doug.

I think Xavi answers the question perfectly. We might have won by more with Robinho in but we will never know now. I think we missed some of his invention and interplay but we did have a bit more of a holding presence with Bellamy even if he didn't play very well ( apart from setting up an excellent second goal of course)

I don't recall Bellamy tracking back that often today. Once in the first half with adebayor , when both conspired to lose the ball between them anyway.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby trout man » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:52 pm

OhDannyBoy wrote:Ireland was injured, surely that was clear to see?

I wouldnt be surprised if a news story pops up on our site soon saying he will be out with a foot injury.

He got a full stooded challange from brown in the first half, and after that was hardly in the game

Exactly and that is why he was removed. As for Robinho not getting a run, this is exactly the type of game that Robbie played poorly in last year so many times, despite Bellamy's reasonably poor technical performance, he did not let the pompey players have time on the ball. There was a lot of grafting off the ball from Barry, Tevez and Bellamy that was very helpful and something we did not do last year. This was a good comfortable performance away from home and tactically Hughes got it pretty much spot on. Well done City!
Hoping our new rollercoaster gives us the thrill of our lives.
trout man
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Ellie and City
My favourite player is: Vinnie

Postby King Kev » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:52 pm

OhDannyBoy wrote:Ireland was injured, surely that was clear to see?

It was very clear to see mate, I even mentioned it in this thread when the players came out for the second half!

Ireland wasn't marked out of the game by Brown, he was kicked and stamped out of the game by him!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:52 pm

I thought Bellamy did well, he is so fearless, he looks like he would run through a brick wall if it got in his way.

We needed that energy and grit today, really thought the weakest point of us was our right today and after Ireland was injured and after he was subbed the centre looked a little soft. Fucking Brown should be quartered the miserable cunt.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Vhero » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:55 pm

xavi6 wrote:

Spot on Doug.

Bellers certainly didn't backtrack much today.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Goaters 103 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:56 pm

We certainly weren't at our best in the final third today but we did have a perfectly good 2nd goal ruled out, and more than a decent pen shout for a foul on Tevez as well.

How many times have we watched The Sky 4 teams at the top win 1-0 away from home though when not playing their best. Granted Nugent should have scored, but some of the free kicks they got and the pen and decisions we didn't get also contributed to the final scoreline.

I must also have missed the new FA Rule passed this week that confirms that t**t Brown is allowed to foul multiple times in a game without any punishment, as he has to foul because he's shit. What a joke.

However Brown is barely worthy of a second of our attention, onwards and upwards we go. Pleasingly we have won every game this season without playing that great so our best footy is yet to come. We will need to produce some of that in the next 2 games to remain unbeaten.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby xavi6 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:04 pm

Vhero wrote:
xavi6 wrote:

Spot on Doug.

Bellers certainly didn't backtrack much today.

Can you honestly say Robinho would have done a better job defensively?

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6

My favourite player is: Zab

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum