dissapointed to day

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: dissapointed to day

Postby King Kev » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:03 pm

bluemoon wrote:Do you realise your avatar has the pic of Sulaman Al-Fahim on the note? That would be Portsmouth's owner not ours.

You beat me to it mate, I was just about to point that out myself!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby frannylee » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:40 pm

I can see most points of view on this thread and think there are some fair points being made both for and against our standard of play this season so far

There is no doubt that sitting in 4th place with a game in hand over the three clubs above us and no goals conceded (I have said elsewhere on this site that Given has been our best value signing over the last 18 months - I may now upgrade that to best signing full stop) is a great start to the season

But, and it is a big but, there are many who want / expect us to break into the top 4 this season - to do that, you need to beat the top 4

We play Arsenal in 2 weeks time and the rags in 3 weeks time

6 points up for grabs - 3 at home and 3 away

We are undoubtedly a better side than we were last season and we have far more options in terms of formation / strategy etc

Howver, if the team does not lift its performance for the next two games, we will not get 6 points

To me, at this stage in our development, (or project if you prefer) 2 or 3 points from the next 2 games is not the end of the world

Think its easy to get carried away and confuse our ambition with our capabilities after the first three games of the season

Blackburn, Wolves and Portsmouth have not and will not provide us with our toughest challenge this season
It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have.
frannylee
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Have a guess ??!!

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:09 pm

frannylee wrote:I can see most points of view on this thread and think there are some fair points being made both for and against our standard of play this season so far

There is no doubt that sitting in 4th place with a game in hand over the three clubs above us and no goals conceded (I have said elsewhere on this site that Given has been our best value signing over the last 18 months - I may now upgrade that to best signing full stop) is a great start to the season

But, and it is a big but, there are many who want / expect us to break into the top 4 this season - to do that, you need to beat the top 4

We are undoubtedly a better side than we were last season and we have far more options in terms of formation / strategy etc

Howver, if the team does not lift its performance for the next two games, we will not get 6 points

To me, at this stage in our development, (or project if you prefer) 2 or 3 points from the next 2 games is not the end of the world

Think its easy to get carried away and confuse our ambition with our capabilities after the first three games of the season

Blackburn, Wolves and Portsmouth have not and will not provide us with our toughest challenge this season

To be honest mate, the rags barely beat any of the top 4 last season & won the league, not for the first time I might add.
If we win as many home games & as last season do similar in away games we'll be right up with a chance of winning it too, irrespective of who we beat. It's always nice to beat top 4 teams but the rags big secret is they usually batter the shite teams to death, wheras Liverpool, Arsenal etc beat Utd then lose to Stoke the week after whilst Utd claim back the points lost by beating Wigan.

Rags in the past have always had a lot of striking power & the lesser teams struggle against it. I think Hughes' rag team may have won the league without beating any of the top 4 one year, so he knows all about it!
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby miss-mancity » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:47 pm

1-0 to the Arsenal... 1-0 to the Arsenal....
Hi wait a minute is't it City???
1-0 to the Arsen.. ups 1-0 to the City...

zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
[center]Image

Sorry but I'm extremely dyslexic
in writing, but not in reading.

Wont to move, to Manchester come new year..:-).
Is in London stil.. :-/.
[/center]
miss-mancity
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City. Barca. Stabæk

Postby rick1894citizen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:10 am

I get more confident after these "grinding out" result's sort of games tbh, it's the difference between pretenders and contenders imo.
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:50 am

>>>But, and it is a big but, there are many who want / expect us to break into the top 4 this season - to do that, you need to beat the top 4

>>>To be honest mate, the rags barely beat any of the top 4 last season & won the league,

Exactly right. I keep mentioning it but, the Filth won the League last year, not because of their results v top four, but because they were "flat track bullies", steam rollering the bottom ten with 58 points out of 60.
You only get three points for beating Arsenal, same as a 1-0 win v Portsmouth.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:26 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:>>>But, and it is a big but, there are many who want / expect us to break into the top 4 this season - to do that, you need to beat the top 4

>>>To be honest mate, the rags barely beat any of the top 4 last season & won the league,

Exactly right. I keep mentioning it but, the Filth won the League last year, not because of their results v top four, but because they were "flat track bullies", steam rollering the bottom ten with 58 points out of 60.

exactly.
Three points is a three points. Sure games against self-titled top four are important but what will ultimately decide where we finish is getting results against rest of the league. Winning in Arsenal would be no good if you then go and draw or lose against Portsmouth and Wolves.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:26 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:>>>But, and it is a big but, there are many who want / expect us to break into the top 4 this season - to do that, you need to beat the top 4

Actually it was john@ who mentioned it in posting http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/6029021/Manchester-City-can-shake-up-predictable-Premier-League.html
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:05 am

frannylee wrote:I can see most points of view on this thread and think there are some fair points being made both for and against our standard of play this season so far

I like Big Buts...

Sorry, coat in hand
Original Dub

Postby Renato_CTID » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:20 am

CITYSTEVEDON wrote:i dont think we played that well against a poor team. i know a few things went against us, but we should have stepped up the pace after we scored. we did struggle sometimes 2day and i think that ireland didnt play well 2day. we will have to try and score from outside the area, instead of playing 1 touch football in there penulty box. but saying that 3 wins,3 clean sheets and a clean sheet at palace carnt be that bad

Could have been a better game for us if Richards' score at the end of 1st time was considered OK!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:39 am

Two games in a row we've scored from a corner?! I'm buzzin!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:52 am

Disappointed?

Fuck me we've won 4 in 4 with no goals conceded, 3 of them away, with a brand new squad. Are there any easy away games? Pompey had the ref and the linesman on their side and we still came away with a win.

We never win and Pompey and people are 'disappointed'?

You ought to be sent back to 1997 as a punishment.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:24 am

Slim wrote:

Actually it was john@ who mentioned it in posting http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/mancity/6029021/Manchester-City-can-shake-up-predictable-Premier-League.html

That's great and doesn't surprise me. John is after all, very wise and knowledgeable about football. Not really a shocker then that he noted the same thing as me and agrress re it's importance.
However I have quite definitely been banging on about it after also reading it in The Telegraph. I hope this is okay.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum