dissapointed to day

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: dissapointed to day

Postby Steve » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Slim wrote:
Steve wrote:We lost this fixture 2-0 last season, I'm chuffed.

We have now won as many away games this season, as we did the whole of last.

You have to grind out results when you're not at your best, and that is exactly what we've done in all four competitive matches so far, and we haven't conceded a goal. I have nothing to be disappointed about personally.

I think that's what people are frustrated by.

I think those people should be happy we are winning while we work our way up to our best. All these players can't just turn up and know everything about how each other play, and that was clear in the performance today.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby glossopblue » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Disappointed with a win away from home... Mmmmmm
Yes we should have won by more but sod that 3 wins out of 3.
That was the first game for ages that when the opposition attacked i wasn't shitting it!!!!

glossop is blue
glossopblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Beeks » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:32 pm

The thread title says it all...If you had any sense at all it would read 'Delighted today' If we get three points when we don't play well that's title mentality...look how many times the rags do that...yesterday being a prime example
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Geo123 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:36 pm

[quote="CITYSTEVEDON"]i dont think we played that well against a poor team. i know a few things went against us, but we should have stepped up the pace after we scored. we did struggle sometimes 2day and i think that ireland didnt play well 2day. we will have to try and score from outside the area, instead of playing 1 touch football in there penulty box. but saying that 3 wins,3 clean sheets and a clean sheet at palace carnt be that bad[/quot
We played very badly today, no fluidity at all, the 3 forwards very very poor kept no shape and didnt really provide outlets for the midfield to built attacks and support them, regarding Ireland I personally think he is wasted in that position and was quite poor today, having said that he was injured from an earlier tackle with brown and had requested to come off a long time before he did.

Still 3 points is 3 points and we have 2 big games ahead
Geo123
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Steve wrote:
Slim wrote:

You have to grind out results when you're not at your best, and that is exactly what we've done in all four competitive matches so far, and we haven't conceded a goal. I have nothing to be disappointed about personally.

I think those people should be happy we are winning while we work our way up to our best. All these players can't just turn up and know everything about how each other play, and that was clear in the performance today.

I know, like I said Pompey were always going to kick us and it was frustrating to watch, we had a couple of chances that never came off and the ref was blind at least four times. Winning was good and everyone can be happy, but it wasn't the most enjoyable 90 minutes I have ever seen.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:58 pm

Slim wrote:
Steve wrote:
Slim wrote:

I know, like I said Pompey were always going to kick us and it was frustrating to watch, we had a couple of chances that never came off and the ref was blind at least four times. Winning was good and everyone can be happy, but it wasn't the most enjoyable 90 minutes I have ever seen.

completely agree. the last 30 mins was just not enjoyable. wasted possession and little made of the few chances we did create.

I would say tho that the brightest spot, though illusory i think, is that we're the only side in the league not to concede a goal. Strange. Never would have guessed that 2 months ago or on the back of that SA trip. Granted, we haven't played anyone truly worth a shit yet tho.

i was unimpressed with the setup today, but i can't argue with results tho i may feel inclined too. I'll wait until we lose playing like this to truly unleash hell.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby One cap Whitey » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:07 pm

I'm not dissapointed. We restricted them to one chance in the whole game, we could and should have won more comfortably but whatever, we won away again.

Yes, there's still still improvement to come but Its 3 points in the bag lets move on to the next one.
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:32 pm

We always win at home
We always win away
We won last week
We won today..............
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby blootoof » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:45 pm

3 wins
3 clean sheets
3 goals from Donkey Dick
3 pints of strong cider
3 spliffs
3 [strike]Nelson Mandela[/strike]

night
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby BobKowalski » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:51 pm

I don't think disappointed is the right word. 3 wins out of 3 is good in anyones book and Ade is everything I hoped he would be and more from his Arsenal days. The 3 teams we have faced so far have scored 4 goals between them this season and Portsmouth are a Championship side waiting to happen yet each time we have been put under pressure we have looked 'wobbly' so I do have a concern when we start meeting sides who have some quality upfront and are not going to stand off and admire the quality of the personel in front of them. We also need to get the passing tighter and go through the gears quicker and maintain a higher tempo for longer periods throughout the game.

So disappointed no but not entirely convinced either.

Next couple of games will tell us a lot about where we are.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby peg-6 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:52 pm

The only thing that disappointed me is Bellamy. Petrov or better, Robinho would have set up a few more goals for us. I hope the rumour Hughes wants to sell Robinho to Barca is not true. I have high expectation for us this season, but I can't help thinking what Hughes did to Elano may repeat.
peg-6
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Socrates » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:11 pm

The officials a) disallowed a perfectly good goal, b) refused us two blatant penalty shouts c) refused to so much as book Michael Brown when he was kicking and injuring everyone in sight.

Yet we overcame all that and still won. That alone is pleasing. The performance? Forget it. Told us nothing we didn't already know. Assuming we already know Bellamy is just Huckerby with studs on. I just hope Lescott finds out what colour we are playing in before the next game.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:18 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:The thread title says it all...If you had any sense at all it would read 'Delighted today' If we get three points when we don't play well that's title mentality...look how many times the rags do that...yesterday being a prime example

It has become a cliche but you are right to point out, a good team is one that still wins when they are not playing well.

Also crap opposition are always going to drag the whole quality of the game down. Football is unlikely to be the winner when Michael Brown is running round trying to impress his new club.....
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby City1970 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Think superman never recovered properly from the kick in the ankle off Brown, but I though Barry was excellent, and is was fantastic at breaking down their play.

Dont think this game was ever in doubt, after we scored, even if the linesman (asst ref, or whatever they are called now), tried his best to make sure we didnt score today.

3 points, delighted. Up the league we go.
Manchester City - F**king up U****d since 2009
City1970
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Err...guess
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:49 pm

A win is a win, no matter how they come about, although I would like to see more beautiful football, and the clubs better players playing each week, every game we win and keep a clean sheet in, you can see them arseoles Andy Gray, Jamie "my dad manages spurs you know" Redknapp, Richard "what about united" Keys and all the rest who are itching for the club to lose (hence why all the games showing City early season are away from home!), cannot get their "money won't guarentee success" and "they are only there for the wages" moans accorss as the club keep winning and so they have to hold it off "for another week".

Only today Jamie "the complete knob" Redknapp was saying that Sylvain Distin is a better player than Joleon Lescott and only 2 years older (Distin is 31, Lescott 27....I think he needs to go back to playschool), it brought Lescott's stats up, he has scored 1 goal every 8 games in the prem for Everton during his time there and got Everton to have one of the meanist defences and finish 5th in two consecutive seasons, will be going to SA next season in the England WC squad and has played for his country.....Distin has played for 2 previous prem sides never ending higher than 7th, scored a goal every 36 games for City, never scored in 77 games for Pompey, has NEVER played for France and never will............quite how that constitutes to Distin being better than Lescott I am still scratching my head over the answer, then again they need to slag City off somehow and we don't seem to be helping them with any criticism by losing anytime soon.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby Original Dub » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:33 pm

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:A win is a win, no matter how they come about, although I would like to see more beautiful football, and the clubs better players playing each week, every game we win and keep a clean sheet in, you can see them arseoles Andy Gray, Jamie "my dad manages spurs you know" Redknapp, Richard "what about U***d" Keys and all the rest who are itching for the club to lose (hence why all the games showing City early season are away from home!), cannot get their "money won't guarentee success" and "they are only there for the wages" moans accorss as the club keep winning and so they have to hold it off "for another week".

Only today Jamie "the complete knob" Redknapp was saying that Sylvain Distin is a better player than Joleon Lescott and only 2 years older (Distin is 31, Lescott 27....I think he needs to go back to playschool), it brought Lescott's stats up, he has scored 1 goal every 8 games in the prem for Everton during his time there and got Everton to have one of the meanist defences and finish 5th in two consecutive seasons, will be going to SA next season in the England WC squad and has played for his country.....Distin has played for 2 previous prem sides never ending higher than 7th, scored a goal every 36 games for City, never scored in 77 games for Pompey, has NEVER played for France and never will............quite how that constitutes to Distin being better than Lescott I am still scratching my head over the answer, then again they need to slag City off somehow and we don't seem to be helping them with any criticism by losing anytime soon.

I actually quite like Jamie Redknapp.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said.... I think its the first time ever, but I'm honest and if I think you're talking sense I'll say it.

I don't get the hype about Distin on here. I thought he was very sleepy and looked reasonably ok because he was beside Dunne when he was our POTY all those years.
Original Dub

Postby South Stander » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:47 pm

All I wanted from today was a clean sheet so I'm not dissappointed. So we haven't played great all season but the players are still finding their way, hopefully playing better quality opposition over the next two games will galvanise them to show the full range of skill. Two more clean sheets from the next two games would give me a real boner but we won't go there, just keep on inproving the way you are City
[center]Drink Real Ale ~ You KNOW it makes sense
Always BLUE, Never Red[/center]
South Stander
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Postby ross.mcfc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:55 pm

Last season I would have taken any sort of an away win. The fact that we played badly today and won and never conceded a goal for the 2nd away match in a row is something to be happy about. A sign of a good team is a team that wins ugly and that was an ugly match today.

Its not our job to entertain away from home and id be delighted if we kept winning ugly matches away from home 1-0 and thumping teams 3/4 at home.

3 games. 9 points. 0 goals conceded. Nothing to be disapointed with.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:01 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:Last season I would have taken any sort of an away win. The fact that we played badly today and won and never conceded a goal for the 2nd away match in a row is something to be happy about. A sign of a good team is a team that wins ugly and that was an ugly match today.

Its not our job to entertain away from home and id be delighted if we kept winning ugly matches away from home 1-0 and thumping teams 3/4 at home.

3 games. 9 points. 0 goals conceded. Nothing to be disapointed with.

Did you see the Wolves game?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bluemoon » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:01 pm

South Stander wrote:All I wanted from today was a clean sheet so I'm not dissappointed. So we haven't played great all season but the players are still finding their way, hopefully playing better quality opposition over the next two games will galvanise them to show the full range of skill. Two more clean sheets from the next two games would give me a real boner but we won't go there, just keep on inproving the way you are City

Do you realise your avatar has the pic of Sulaman Al-Fahim on the note? That would be Portsmouth's owner not ours.
bluemoon
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum