01 Sep 2008 - One Of The Most Important Days In Our History

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

01 Sep 2008 - One Of The Most Important Days In Our History

Postby King Kev » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 pm

Apologies for being a few hours premature but I was just thinking about this time last year when I spent virtually the whole day watching SkySports news getting more and more excited.

First there was the news that we were being bought by mega-rich arabs. Then we were going to sign Berbatov, then I get extremely frustrated when the muppets from Stretford hi-jacked Berbatov at Manchester airport and refused to let us speak to him (even though Spurs had agreed a deal with us and not them) and then.. right at the end, we sign Robinho!!!!

Fucl me, it was a hell of a day!

[youtube]Hc_eQfmfF84[/youtube]

[youtube]hQCgR-VoNaM[/youtube]
Last edited by King Kev on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: 01 Sep 2008 - One Of The Most Important Days In Our History

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:17 pm

Sadly it seems unlikely we will have the same sort of glued to SSN for 24 hours like we had last season, wow that was a great day. The Berba saga was worthy of a Dan Brown conspiracy novel and signing Robinho made me laugh for weeks.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:19 pm

DID YOU TOO SHAG AND MAKE UP THEN??????

BRILLIANT WHEN WE GOT ROBHINO......THAT WAS ALSO WANK MATERIAL.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Crossie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:19 pm

Amen, I shall light a candle in homage to the 1 year annaversary of this date.

Its also 1 year since I got married, what a day!
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:23 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:DID YOU TOO SHAG AND MAKE UP THEN??????

BRILLIANT WHEN WE GOT ROBHINO......THAT WAS ALSO WANK MATERIAL.

What? Just...what?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby gillie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:24 pm

I hope someone can find the ssn clip interveiwing Piccs outside the ground in the early hours.Unlike me though he never mentioned our site.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:54 pm

I'd just flown back in and didn't have a clue what was going on!

What an excellent day that was..................I remember it well ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby john68 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:43 am

I was out working....Then I got the calls and texts from BMD, Svensational and (I think) KK about Robbie....U turn and home

[center]"HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY TO THE REBIRTH OF THE BLUES"[/center]
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby irblinx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:22 am

Slim wrote:Sadly it seems unlikely we will have the same sort of glued to SSN for 24 hours like we had last season, wow that was a great day. The Berba saga was worthy of a Dan Brown conspiracy novel and signing Robinho made me laugh for weeks.

Sadly? I'm over the moon, we have done all our business early which means that the club can be cute as hell with any deals they are looking at today
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Dameerto » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 am

I love deadline day - it's one of those tranditions for me - an alldayer in front of SSN watching their yellow ticker tape with a glass of something in one hand and tapping out messages to a footie forum with the other.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:28 am

irblinx wrote:
Slim wrote:Sadly it seems unlikely we will have the same sort of glued to SSN for 24 hours like we had last season, wow that was a great day. The Berba saga was worthy of a Dan Brown conspiracy novel and signing Robinho made me laugh for weeks.

Sadly? I'm over the moon, we have done all our business early which means that the club can be cute as hell with any deals they are looking at today

Yeah, but it was dead exciting last season...every hour there seemed to be a new twist. For entertainment value it kills doing your deals early and haggling over one last defender in the press for weeks.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:31 am

Missed a bullet with Berbatov. Got him instead of Robson and we would've been relegated!

Or, more likely, we never went for him anyway. It was an early version of the 'Welcome to Manchester' poster, designed to wind up those in the Evil Empire.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

1 September 2008

Postby ant london » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:50 am

Manchester City agree takeover deal with Abu Dhabi group

Manchester City have agreed a takeover deal with the Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment (Adug), the club has confirmed.

"Manchester City can confirm that a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the Abu Dhabi United Group and Manchester City Football Club Limited," a club statement read. "A period of due diligence for all parties, including the FA Premier League, has now been entered."

Thaksin Shinawatra, who will remain at the club as honorary president without any administrative responsibilities, agreed the deal last night to sell the club to Adug, who will be represented on the new City board by Dr Sulaiman Al-Fahim. "We will release details later, but this is a great event for both the club and Abu Dhabi," said Al-Fahim, the chief executive of Hydra Properties. "Our goal is very simple: to make Manchester City the biggest club in the Premier League, and to begin with to finish in the top four this season."

According to Arabian Business, negotiations between City and Adug began three weeks ago and were completed last night at the Emirates Palace Hotel in Abu Dhabi. Al-Fahim said that Adug will clear any club debts and pending payments, and provide money to bring in some of the world's best players. He also hopes that in turn the deal will make Abu Dhabi more prominent in the world of sport and economics.

"We in Abu Dhabi United Company for Development and Investment are keen to develop ways to provide support and care for various sports activities to help build and develop a new generation of young State, which represents the real wealth and the future of this nation and the cornerstone for building the future of our civilisation," he said.

"As embodied in our mission to open new horizons in all kinds of sports, it will enable them to enjoy healthy body and mind, thanks to the lessons we have learned from the wise leadership in Abu Dhabi.

"We will adopt marketing plans that reflect positively on the club and the company from investments in all sectors of television marketing and purchasing of the stars players, as well as development of infrastructure facilities at the club."
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: 1 September 2008

Postby ant london » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:54 am

Man City beat Chelsea to Robinho

Robinho stated on Sunday he wanted to leave Real Madrid

Manchester City have beaten Chelsea to the signing of Brazilian forward Robinho from Real Madrid for a British record transfer fee of about £32.5m.

Chelsea had been chasing the 24-year-old but City have captured him on a four-year deal with a late bid.

"I am absolutely delighted to get the opportunity to work with such an incredible talent like Robinho," City boss Mark Hughes told the club website.

"This is a real statement of intent as to the ambitions of this club."

After missing out on Robinho, Chelsea issued a statement saying they were unable to agree a deal with Real as they were not
prepared to pay the Spanish club's asking price.

City made the audacious attempt to sign Robinho on transfer deadline day after earlier agreeing to a takeover by the Abu Dhabi United Group.

Hughes added: "I have said that in order to compete with the best teams in the Premier League we have to be in the market for players of this calibre, and Robinho is undoubtedly one of the best players in the world.

"I am really looking forward to introducing him to the rest of the squad, and to the City fans at the earliest opportunity."

Real Madid president Ramon Calderon said Robinho, who called a news conference on Sunday stating again his desire to leave the Bernabeu club, had broken down in tears as he pleaded for a move.

Robinho appears to have been unhappy with Real and their willingness to sell him to fund a failed move to sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.

"We have sold Robinho for reasons of a human nature and for sporting reasons," Calderon told Spanish television station Veo.

"The fact that he has accepted an offer from Manchester City says that he is not going for sporting reasons.

"It's an important sum of money. It's not the objective of Real Madrid to sell players, neither do we need the money, but for reasons of human and sporting nature, it has been decided this is for the best.

"It's a decision agreed by all the coaching staff, who understand it is best for the player and for the club.

"(Coach Bernd) Schuster thought until yesterday that he could recover the player, but that has not been the case.

"Every time I have spoken with him he was very sad, crying and asking to leave Spain. Real Madrid are more important than any one player.

"He's a great kid, but badly advised."

Chelsea had been favourites to sign Robinho but Real apparently refused to sanction a switch for him to join them as they were upset at the Stamford Bridge club's conduct in the matter.

Robinho could now make his debut for City in their next league game, which is ironically against Chelsea on 13 September.

He joins up with fellow Brazilian Jo at City after he moved to the club from CSKA Moscow.

Robinho is a regular in the Brazil side and helped Santos win their first league title as an 18-year-old in 2002.

He drew comparisons with Brazilian legend Pele and joined Real from Santos in August 2005 after pressing for a move.

Robinho struggled in his first season but won the Spanish title under coach Fabio Capello in 2007.

A player with pace and trickery, he came into his own last season when he scored 11 goals in 32 outings to help Real to a second successive La Liga crown.

He was also top scorer with six goals when Brazil won the 2007 Copa America.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:54 am

And the knob of the day award goes to.....

Ant Egypt.

http://www.mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=26678

Lee was well ahead of you.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beanieboy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:57 am

still unbelievable,...but what a cunt that Sulaiman turned out to be,...glad he was shipped out quick
Beanieboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ant london » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 am

Can you believe by the way that Sulamain is THIRTY TWO YEARS OLD

Him and Zabba must be related. Young men or old cunts....you decide

And yeah slimmety, I will take knob of the day or whatever splendid award I am up for!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:05 am

Beanieboy wrote:still unbelievable,...but what a cunt that Sulaiman turned out to be,...glad he was shipped out quick

He's a bit of a joke isnt he? Always saying exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 am

ant london wrote:Can you believe by the way that Sulamain is THIRTY TWO YEARS OLD

Him and Zabba must be related. Young men or old cunts....you decide

And yeah slimmety, I will take knob of the day or whatever splendid award I am up for!

Never mind them two, I was shocked to learn Shaun Derry is year older than me. If we stood by each other, I reckon most people would think he's my dad.

Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:20 am

What a day that was.......

Even a year on there is some great things happening........TBH has gone, Dunne is going, Benjani should be going......this could be a day to rival even that amazing day we had this time last year.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Robinho

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum