‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:58 am

irblinx wrote:FFS, I hope not. We shouldn't be selling anyone to Spurs as they would seem to be our main rivals for Europe and I don't see any place in the starting 11 for Bentley

But there isn't a place in the starting eleven for Petrov.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby irblinx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:01 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
irblinx wrote:FFS, I hope not. We shouldn't be selling anyone to Spurs as they would seem to be our main rivals for Europe and I don't see any place in the starting 11 for Bentley

But there isn't a place in the starting eleven for Petrov.

That doesn't mean we should sell him to a rival though does it, by all means sell the lad but not to someone that could harm our chances
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:05 am

A bit mixed on this. On the negative side I dont see any merit to selling any player to Spurs who may make them better, though in Petrov's case it would only be a short-term thing as he is 30 and has a quite poor injury record - plus if Krancjar signs I'd wager our mate Martin might be swopping our bench for the Spurs one.

Bentley does intrigue a little bit, as he's 5 years younger and has played his best footy under Hughes so will likely be very grateful for the move, and eager as well. I'm sure Hughes is confident Bentley can be knocked into line on that score and drop the big-time Charlie act as at City he would go back to being very much a small fish in a big pond.

Problem is our left hand side as Petrov is the only left-footed attacker in the club at present, so cover for Robinho will consist of Bellers (right-footed and predominently a striker) or a right-footed player like Bentley or SWP even having to become a square peg in a round hole.

I can see why people are worried about Bentley as a character but Hughes isn't going into the unknown having had the guy before, and remember when Bellers was signed we had a feeling of dread on his attitude and character and in the space of 8 months he's become a valued member of the squad, and decent contributer (when fit).
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:09 am

I seriously seriously believe that Spuds signing Rupert will make them weaker.
And as a replacement for the injured Modric? Do me a favour.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:12 am

Hughes has signed a lot of players who were amongst the top in the country then lost their way; Bridge, Adebayor,Tevez, SWP,RSC were all amongst the top performers a few seasons ago. Many are convinced that RSC will fail & has a percieved lack of skill (some also thought adebayor was lacking in ball control) but I recon they will be disappointed making it a 100% success rate with those players. Bentley is another which falls into the same catagory & another who has proved he can do it in the PL. Hughes thinks he can get him playing. If he fails we still have a fantastic squad; if he succeeds we have the player who was keeping SWP & Beckham out of the England team & a player who do can some of the things we lack. It will hugely increase our options.

Hughes has the imagination & forsight to see the positives that could bring. I like that.

The negative in this is Petrov going to Spuds which I don't like at all & don't agree with, otherwise it'd be an exciting move for me.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby david yearsley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:13 am

Warnock´s already gone to Villa so that´s fucled!!!!! FFS!
Prefer Petrov to stay but it looks like his bum- chum Berbaflop has been whispering sweet nothings in his ear - you´d think that cnut would need to get his own fuclin head in order before advising others! Maybe Fergyscum told him to rock the boat at City , and as for bigger club - well even if they were they could NEVER guarantee any player a regular starting berth - fucl even Berbs spends most of his time getting splinters up his arse! It´s a squad game Martin - you´re 31 , get over it son!
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:13 am

I cant see the point in this, Petrov isnt in the first team, Bentley isnt good enough for the first team, Bentley is not an improvement on Petrov.

Whether it goes ahead or not, performance wise we will not notice much of a difference.

Given that we have 8 hours until the transfer window closes I would have thought City would be in for someone so much better if they want to fill out his position, hopefully there is underdiscovered work going on elsewhere behind the scenes?
sandman

Supporter of: City

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:17 am

I have seen Bentley do some good things, and I have seen him do some bad things. I haven't watched enough of him to have a very strong opinion either way, like some seem to have. However most of these signings have been slagged off on here repeatedly, and then after watching them hasty apologies are issued. Can't see him being 'first 11', but it's a squad thing, or a sub thing, etc.

As for Rigsby I think people get overwhelmed by his attacking qualities, which haven't even been the same since his nasty injuries. Adding him to Spuds will leave an extra defensive weakness in their team (they have a few) and we can look forward to them giving the ball away repeatedly in left midfield. I don't really consider that as 'strengthening a rival', even if this does happen. Plus I think he is aiming for Elano's moaner's mantle, and wasn't he in the 8-1 game at Boro too, laughing and joking in defeat?

One year down the line Spuds fans will think they've been sold a pup. Whereas we will have replaced Kelvin Etuhu in our squad with Bentley who, like many other signings here now, scores goals and may well respond to Les' methods once away fron the Big Smoke!
Last edited by john@staustell on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby david yearsley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:17 am

Sylvinho is more than capable of doing a left sided midfield role if required
david yearsley

Postby razor400 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:22 am

Not over keen and I would prefer a cash only deal. The only plus would be that bentley has been shit for every manager he has played for other than hughes. Dunno if that means anything or not.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:23 am

Well Vic Moses (in the other thread) would be a replacement who's younger & won't sulk about being on the bench, if there's anything in that rumour. Weiss can also play on the left side.

Someone said Petrov's in his last year so will walk anyway at the end of the season. Is this true?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Crossie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:27 am

I feel exactly the same about Petrov leaving as I did about Elano.

Its a shame, but the player doesnt quite fit where we want to go now. We haev Weiss, yes he is a right winger, and now Bently, who, yes, its also a right winger, leaving us with 1 left footed player, however enough quality and depth to not need direct wingers when we play our weird 4-3-2-1.

Petrov was great, gave us a great season 2 years ago, but we all know he lacks effort in tracking back, Hughes wants players to run rrun and run some more, track back, go fwd, play for the team. Petrov wasnt that sort of player.

Age is against him, 29/30? His game relies almost totally on pace, and at his age its only going to go one way.

If Bently was left footed, this would be a perfect deal
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:29 am

john@staustell wrote:I have seen Bentley do some good things, and I have seen him do some bad things. I haven't watched enough of him to have a very strong opinion either way, like some seem to have. However most of these signings have been slagged off on here repeatedly, and then after watching them hasty apologies are issued. Can't see him being 'first 11', but it's a squad thing, or a sub thing, etc.

As for Rigsby I think people get overwhelmed by his attacking qualities, which haven't even been the same since his nasty injuries. Adding him to Spuds will leave an extra defensive weakness in their team (they have a few) and we can look forward to them giving the ball away repeatedly in left midfield. I don't really consider that as 'strengthening a rival', even if this does happen. Plus I think he is aiming for Elano's moaner's mantle, and wasn't he in the 8-1 game at Boro too, laughing and joking in defeat?

One year down the line Spuds fans will think they've been sold a pup. Whereas we will have replaced Kelvin Etuhu in our squad with Bentley who, like many other signings here now, scores goals and may well respond to Les' methods once away fron the Big Smoke!

I like this post. It's close to my feelings on it.
I do believe Spuds fans will be underwhelmed by Petrov.
I do believe he will prove to be a weaker link for them.
I'm not a fan of Bentley's but I'm certain that he's a vast improvement on who is going out and who was in the squad before. Etuhu is indeed a good benchmark for a comparison for Bentley.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby david yearsley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:31 am

Never had much time for this guy but the more I think about this the more I am thinking this could be a mastrstroke by Les .
Many on here have complained about not having a plan B - This puts that to bed at a stroke - Rocky and Bentley on the bench ready if we need to go 4-4-2 and change a game - plus Bentley´s dead ball abilities and the fact that Les knows him and can help him re-start his career . Away from the bright lights and an arm round the shoulder from someone he trusts and he COULD reinvent himself
david yearsley

Postby Mase » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 am

We SHOULDN'T be selling Petrov to Spurs but if the moaning twat wants to go why keep him here? I'm sure Spurs aren't the only club interested, but at the moment they are doing really well and he'll probably pick them out of the bunch of teams interested. It's like with Lescott, if he wants to go to a certain team all we can do is stick him in the reserves for the season, but that would be no use to anyone.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:34 am

MaseCTID wrote:We SHOULDN'T be selling Petrov to Spurs but if the moaning twat wants to go why keep him here? I'm sure Spurs aren't the only club interested, but at the moment they are doing really well and he'll probably pick them out of the bunch of teams interested. It's like with Lescott, if he wants to go to a certain team all we can do is stick him in the reserves for the season, but that would be no use to anyone.

Have I missed something? Why is he moaning twat now?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:35 am

david yearsley wrote:Never had much time for this guy but the more I think about this the more I am thinking this could be a mastrstroke by Les .
Many on here have complained about not having a plan B - This puts that to bed at a stroke - Rocky and Bentley on the bench ready if we need to go 4-4-2 and change a game - plus Bentley´s dead ball abilities and the fact that Les knows him and can help him re-start his career . Away from the bright lights and an arm round the shoulder from someone he trusts and he COULD reinvent himself

Well there are other plan B's than just hoofing speculative crosses from halfway line towards general direction of Santa's head.

I'd prefer our plan b to be slick passing football.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:37 am

Miami could play on the left side no danger.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:37 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
david yearsley wrote:Never had much time for this guy but the more I think about this the more I am thinking this could be a mastrstroke by Les .

Well there are other plan B's than just hoofing speculative crosses from halfway line towards general direction of Santa's head.

I'd prefer our plan b to be slick passing football.

Should he ever be fit, I think Rocky's pretty slick on the ground too mate.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:37 am

Im a big Petrov fan and think he's a great footballer but I do think that the time is right for him to move on. At his age and with his past injuries he cant afford to be sitting on the bench and even if he was 25 and fully fit he is not a team player and would never be happy on the bench. Redknapp has been making noises about signing him for a while and its no surprise to me that he's leaving. You cant stop him leaving if he wants to go but I must admit I do not like the idea of Petrov supplying Keane and Crouch crosses. This is a massive signing for one of our rivals.

Bentley has the potential to be a great player, however he is a class A knobhead. Whilst Petrov is no team player I've heard nothing to suggest he is nothing but a model pro. Bentley is younger however if your asking me who is the better player right now Id say Petrov.

Then again this is under the provision that Petrov is the same player he was before his injury. He may only have one good season left in him in which case he is the classic Redknapp signing and we are giving him a substancial amount of money as well. This is utter madness and the first WTF signing Hughes will have made in his time at City.

All the media outcry about the money paid for Lescott and Toure yet this is a transfer that could imo opinion rival the Eto Hleb plus cash for Ibrahomvic in terms of stupidity.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum