‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Postby roadkill2487 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:46 pm

Man City in bid to snap up Bentley: Spurs to land Martin Petrov in swap deal and get Pompey's Niko Kranjcar for £2m

By Simon Cass and Ian Ladyman
Last updated at 12:12 AM on 01st September 2009

* Comments (0)
* Add to My Stories

David Bentley is set to be handed the golden ticket of a move to Manchester City, who last night closed in on a swap deal with Tottenham involving Bulgaria winger Martin Petrov.

The initial deal for Bentley will be a long-term loan, but it presents the chance for him to restart his career after a dismal 13-month spell at Spurs, who are also signing Niko Kranjcar from Portsmouth for a cut-price £2million.

If the Bentley deal can be completed before today’s 5pm deadline — and both managers want the deal to happen — then he will be reunited with Mark Hughes, the boss behind his most productive spell at Blackburn.
Manchester City's Martin Petrov
David Bentley, Tottenham Hotspur

Trading places: Petrov and Bentley

It will also see him join the superstar cast of the City dressing room a week after a conviction for drink driving, for which he received a one-year ban. Bentley was also fined two weeks’ wages by Spurs for crashing his Porsche into a lamppost while under the influence.

Bentley has seen his career nosedive since moving from Blackburn to Spurs in a £15million deal last summer — the player has yet to start for Spurs in the Premier League this season.
David Bentley scores Spurs 4th goal

Squad player: Bentley scores Spurs' fourth in the 5-1 Carling Cup rout of Doncaster

The deal also suits Spurs manager Harry Redknapp, who is looking for a left-sided
player to replace broken leg victim Luka Modric, who is out for at least six weeks.Chairman Daniel Levy was spearheading the talks last night.

Bulgarian Petrov, 30, a pacy winger, will want to prove himself after falling out with Hughes while Kranjcar will team up again with Redknapp, with whom he helped Portsmouth win the 2008 FA Cup.
Arsenal v Blackburn Rovers

Star man: Bentley's form at Blackburn - he remains the last away player to score a hat-trick at Old Trafford - prompted a £15million switch to Spurs

Tottenham were keen on Petrov prior to his £4.7m move to City from Atletico Madrid
two years ago. However, the Bulgarian, capped 77 times but with only one year left on his current contract and valued at £3.5m, has slipped well down the pecking order at
Eastlands following the wave of new arrivals this summer.

Petrov was allowed to emain in England while he sorts out his future by Bulgaria coach Stanimir Stoilov ahead of World Cup qualifiers against Montenegro and Italy.

He could still sign even if there is a snag in Bentley’s move. Spurs rate Bentley at around £12m and rejected an £8m approach from Aston Villa.

Petrov spent last night in a London hotel and his move to Spurs was backed by Manchester United forward Dimitar Berbatov, his Bulgaria team-mate. ‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’ said the ex-Tottenham star.

‘He does not deserve such a relationship with Manchester City and Spurs are a bigger club than City.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z0Po7TvILr

Looks like Petrov is gone. And who the hell does Berbatov think he is??
roadkill2487
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Re: ‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Postby Wooders » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:51 pm

If Ladyman is reporting it then that is a bit of a worry - we shouldn't sell spurs fucking anyone - especially someone who will contribute as much as Martin to the cause.
Cash plus Petrov for Bentley is also bonkers imo
and fuck off berbatov you shit licker - you couldn't wait to get the fuck out of spurs you fucking hypocrite
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:20 am

I think it looking pretty certain atm that this time tomorrow David Bentley will be a member of our squad, especially if Ladyman is reporting it, he has got everything spot on with us so far this summer.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby carolina-blue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:41 am

Petrov spent last night in a London hotel and his move to Spurs was backed by Manchester U***d forward Dimitar Berbatov, his Bulgaria team-mate. ‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’ said the ex-Tottenham star.

‘He does not deserve such a relationship with Manchester City and Spurs are a bigger club than City.’

We will see about big clubs in a couple of weeks you Fucking Wanker , Tbh I hope he stays I rate him but if this comment is true then he needs to leave sounds as if he is pissing and moaning to people , dont want the dressing room upset.
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:43 am

10.Goater_Legend wrote:I think it looking pretty certain atm that this time tomorrow David Bentley will be a member of our squad, especially if Ladyman is reporting it, he has got everything spot on with us so far this summer.

Wonder who he's stealing it from this time?

I think we should only sell Petrov to a team from abroad. He could be great for Spuds. I'd rather keep him anyway personally but tbf I've always fancied taking a gamble on Bentley. He's been such a talented player right from being in schoolboy football & has only himself to blame for not being an England regular. If he does come, he'll know it's his last chance so he may just get his act together.

What's Berbatov moaning about? Petrov was injured last season & this one's only 3 games old! Ned's not even had a game yet ffs!
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:07 am

How do we get a worse player and stump up cash?

Whoever set up this deal is a right chump.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:59 am

Nononono!!!

This would be awfull move in so many fucking levels. We need out and out left footed winger. But even if Hughes has decided that we aren't going to play with wingers, we still wouldn't need that clown Bentley. Wtf? I mean David fucking Bentley, one season wonder of well RSC/Benjani level.

And where would he play anyway? He isn't fit to lick the shit out of SWP's boots or wash Tevez's alice band. In the middle? Are you having a laugh?

It seems that my predictions are slowly but surely coming true. Next up Warcock and friedel.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Wooders » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:22 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Nononono!!!

This would be awfull move in so many fucking levels. We need out and out left footed winger. But even if Hughes has decided that we aren't going to play with wingers, we still wouldn't need that clown Bentley. Wtf? I mean David fucking Bentley, one season wonder of well RSC/Benjani level.

And where would he play anyway? He isn't fit to lick the shit out of SWP's boots or wash Tevez's alice band. In the middle? Are you having a laugh?

It seems that my predictions are slowly but surely coming true. Next up Warcock and friedel.

You're fucking funny !
So after, Robinho, Kompany, SWP, De Jong, Given, Zabaleta, Bellemy, Teves, Toure, Lescott, Bridge, Barry, Sylvinho and Adebayor, we get linked in the press to Bentley and some mong of bluemoon your prediction that hughes's is only gonna sign shit players he has played before because thats all he is comfortable with are coming true are they?
don't make me laugh
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Beeks » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:26 am

I'd like to buck the trend on here and say that I quite like Bentley

There...i've said it ;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby thegoatfeeder » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:37 am

As back up he'd do a pretty decent job, just hope we aren't signing him as a mainstay of the first 11.
thegoatfeeder
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater

Postby Beanieboy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:59 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I'd like to buck the trend on here and say that I quite like Bentley

There...i've said it ;-)

I'd like to buck the trend too,....but seeing as i think he's a clunt i can't do it this time
Beanieboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Colin the King » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:01 am

On one hand, he's an excellent crosser of the ball and serviced Santa Cruz brilliantly a few years ago.

On the other, if we've signed all these world class footballers only for our primary tactic to end up being Bentley lobbing it at Santa Cruz/Adebayor every five minutes and all our goals coming from crosses and set plays, I'll not be best pleased.

You can throw in the fact that he's a knees up cheeky chappy twat of the highest order as well. So on the balance of things- NO!
Colin the King

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Beeks » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:06 am

Colin the King wrote:only for our primary tactic to end up being Bentley lobbing it at Santa Cruz/Adebayor every five minutes and all our goals coming from crosses and set plays, I'll not be best pleased.

Do you REALLY think it will come to that? Of course not...it will just give us more options nothing more
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Dameerto » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:10 am

Are we absolutely sure this isnt tabloid crap? Bentley doesnt fit into our formation (he plays on the wrong side and he's an out-and-out crosser not a silky-skills inside dribbler)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:12 am

Wooders wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Nononono!!!

You're fucking funny !
So after, Robinho, Kompany, SWP, De Jong, Given, Zabaleta, Bellemy, Teves, Toure, Lescott, Bridge, Barry, Sylvinho and Adebayor, we get linked in the press to Bentley and some mong of bluemoon your prediction that hughes's is only gonna sign shit players he has played before because thats all he is comfortable with are coming true are they?
don't make me laugh

I wasn't predicting he'd sign shit players. His record of signing players is pretty impressive and I think I have admitted that all along. I did however predict that he'd turn us in some form "jobs for boys" Club. You can't argue with the fact that he has surrounded himself with people he has psat experience with rather than looking at what we have got.

Anyway, I can't believe you would be making some sort of case for Bentley signing.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby avoidconfusion » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:20 am

I hope to fucking god we do NOT sell Petrov to Spurs... the suggested price is ludicrous as well.... Petrov+10m for fucking Bentley? The guy is a disaster and this signing would not make any sense at all.

What is this? A charity act from Hughes to save his lost boyscout? The guy has so many problems and such a shit attitude he will definitely cause problems, didn't he just get banned from driving for 12 months because he as drunk driving?

Just what we need....
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Dameerto » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:24 am

I wouldn't avoid signing him for drink-driving (not that I want him here in the first place, mind) - but I would put a specific clause into anyone's contract with a conviction - that a repeat offense would result in instant dismissal for gross misconduct.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:45 am

Bentley doesn't beat players and plays on the right, Petrov doesn't beat players and plays on the left. Hmmm.
On the plus side, Bentley did actually find a player with his crosses (and not just any player but one who may eventually kick a ball in anger for us) whereas Petrov usually finds the opposite corner flag or the keepers hands.
Both are pretty poor, however I do recall a few on here were quite excited about the prospect of Bentley, not that long ago.

Petrov plus say 5 mill? That'd be about fair.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Bentley is one of modern football's instantly dislikeable characters.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Fish111 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:52 am

I don't think theres any doubt about his ability and he did his best work under Hughes at Blackburn so maybe Hughes is the thing that makes Bentley tick, could be a good move for us. It's definately a good move for Bentley. Time will tell on this one but i wouldn't want Petrov to leave as part of the deal.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby irblinx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:56 am

FFS, I hope not. We shouldn't be selling anyone to Spurs as they would seem to be our main rivals for Europe and I don't see any place in the starting 11 for Bentley
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum