‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:38 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Miami could play on the left side no danger.

How about not signing Bentley at all and play Weiss on his natural right hand side? Just a suggestion.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

How about not signing Bentley at all and play Weiss on his natural right hand side? Just a suggestion.

Bentley can also play in the middle or on the left as, unlike Beckham, he can cross with his left foot.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:44 am

>>> I do not like the idea of Petrov supplying Keane and Crouch crosses. This is a massive signing for one of our rivals.

Keane and Crouch?
Haven't you noticed a certain Mr Defoe is scoring shed loads? Not a chance of Keane and Crouch being first choice combo.
And Rupert would still miss them!
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby david yearsley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:44 am

Ross you´re spot on Petrov supplying Keane and Crouch - that Is THIER plan B - with Bentley and RSC we would have ours - impact players they call them these days - Wiess is more a dribbler not to mention his inexperience - he will be the natural successor to SWP imo
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Mase » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:45 am

MaseCTID wrote:We SHOULDN'T be selling Petrov to Spurs but if the moaning twat wants to go why keep him here? I'm sure Spurs aren't the only club interested, but at the moment they are doing really well and he'll probably pick them out of the bunch of teams interested. It's like with Lescott, if he wants to go to a certain team all we can do is stick him in the reserves for the season, but that would be no use to anyone.

Have I missed something? Why is he moaning twat now?

He said a few weeks ago that he wasn't happy sitting on the bench and that a few clubs were after him and that he'll consider his future at City. I think a few days later Stevie Ireland came out with a comment about people knuckling down and fighting for their place.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:49 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:>>> I do not like the idea of Petrov supplying Keane and Crouch crosses. This is a massive signing for one of our rivals.

Keane and Crouch?
Haven't you noticed a certain Mr Defoe is scoring shed loads? Not a chance of Keane and Crouch being first choice combo.

He's potentially very dangerous playing on the counter attack with DeFoe, however, Bentley's potentially even more dangerous crossing the ball for Crouch to nod in/ down DeFoe so I recon Harry's getting rid because he's dead against drink driving rather than for purely football reasons.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:53 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:>>> I do not like the idea of Petrov supplying Keane and Crouch crosses. This is a massive signing for one of our rivals.

Keane and Crouch?

He's potentially very dangerous playing on the counter attack with DeFoe, however, Bentley's potentially even more dangerous crossing the ball for Crouch to nod in/ down DeFoe so I recon Harry's getting rid because he's dead against drink driving rather than for purely football reasons.

He's getting rid cause Lennon is covering the right and Bentley is too one footed to switch sides. Modric is now injured long term and they will need someone over on the left, although I think Modric was wasted there. If they are signing Nico Krancjar then I cannot understand going after Petrov as well. Maybe Everton have succeeded in nicking him our from under Twitchy.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby david yearsley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:01 am

The other thing to mention is that Bentley can play centre midfield if required and isn´t afraid to get stuck in so versatility is added to the squad
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby The Foggy Blue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:02 am

Totally shit deal this one. Agree with what most have been saying; Petrov plus cash for Bentley is absolutley ridiculous AND selling Petrov to a direct rival in Spurs? Not liking this one bit.
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:13 am

Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Keane and Crouch?

He's getting rid cause Lennon is covering the right and Bentley is too one footed to switch sides. Modric is now injured long term and they will need someone over on the left, although I think Modric was wasted there. If they are signing Nico Krancjar then I cannot understand going after Petrov as well. Maybe Everton have succeeded in nicking him our from under Twitchy.

Lennon's a really hit & miss player who could easily hit a run of form worse than Bentley's. Bentley's also got a good cross with his left foot & can bomb the ball in diagonally from the left, on his right foot; like Ashley Young does for Villa. He's been shit so far for Spuds whatever position but I'm surprised that having signed Crouch, Harry's going to dump the bloke who's more likely than just about anyone in the PL to put the ball right on his head, without even trying it. Bentley scored the other night when he did play too. More to it than just football imo.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby svengali » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 am

david yearsley wrote:Never had much time for this guy but the more I think about this the more I am thinking this could be a mastrstroke by Les .
Many on here have complained about not having a plan B - This puts that to bed at a stroke - Rocky and Bentley on the bench ready if we need to go 4-4-2 and change a game - plus Bentley´s dead ball abilities and the fact that Les knows him and can help him re-start his career . Away from the bright lights and an arm round the shoulder from someone he trusts and he COULD reinvent himself

Well there are other plan B's than just hoofing speculative crosses from halfway line towards general direction of Santa's head.

I'd prefer our plan b to be slick passing football.

Plan A is just that and it doesnt work against teams like Stoke. We need a plan B. A player who can cross from deep into the targets. No point having SWP running down blind alleys and then crossing into the stand.
svengali
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 am

david yearsley wrote:Never had much time for this guy but the more I think about this the more I am thinking this could be a mastrstroke by Les .
Many on here have complained about not having a plan B - This puts that to bed at a stroke - Rocky and Bentley on the bench ready if we need to go 4-4-2 and change a game - plus Bentley´s dead ball abilities and the fact that Les knows him and can help him re-start his career . Away from the bright lights and an arm round the shoulder from someone he trusts and he COULD reinvent himself

Well there are other plan B's than just hoofing speculative crosses from halfway line towards general direction of Santa's head.

Strange post. Surely plan A is to play slick passing football and plan B would indeed be someone who can give quality crosses when plan A isn't working, as will sometimes be the case. SWP is the slick footballer on the right, but I despair at his crossing ability.

Also, Bentley can play in the middle, so both SWP and Stevie would have decent cover. One of my concerns being addressed, so no complaints for me.

Anyway, if he's not good enough he won't play very often, so no need for 'genuine concern'...
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:21 am

Original Dub wrote:

Strange post. Surely plan A is to play slick passing football and plan B would indeed be someone who can give quality crosses when plan A isn't working, as will sometimes be the case. SWP is the slick footballer on the right, but I despair at his crossing ability.

Also, Bentley can play in the middle, so both SWP and Stevie would have decent cover. One of my concerns being addressed, so no complaints for me.

Anyway, if he's not good enough he won't play very often, so no need for 'genuine concern'...

Bentley's a much 'slicker' footballer than SWP when on form so he can do either. SWP has other attributes but Bentley's passing game has always been better than Shaun's. That's why he was prefferred to SWP at international level when at Blackburn.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:22 am

Or play SWP there and if he gets injured play Bentley or Miami and if Robbie gets injured Play either SWP there,Miami there or Bentley hell even Garrido or Sylvinho could cover if needs be.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby blootoof » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:28 am

I wouldn't sell that twitchie clunt a damp bag of skunk.
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Petrov's Left Foot » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:38 am

I'd become attached to this username aswell :(

But I think this could be good. Like with Owen, if the scum suddenly pulled this off their lot would be having a wet dream about how Fergie has pulled off another masterstroke etc etc. The way I see it is we are replacing a player who doesnt want to be here with someone who is going to be well up for proving everyone wrong, 5 years younger, more flexible, a left and right foot and whom Hughes got the best from at Blackburn
"Some might say, we will find a brighter day" CTID
Petrov's Left Foot
De Michelis's Pace

Supporter of: City til I Die
My favourite player is: Goater/Morrison/Dickov

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:39 am

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:How do we get a worse player and stump up cash?

Whoever set up this deal is a right chump.

I was going to say the same thing.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 am

Bentley at Blackburn:

In January 2006, Blackburn announced they had signed Bentley on a permanent basis from Arsenal. In his first match after permanently signing for Blackburn, he scored his first senior hat trick in a 4–3 victory against Manchester United, becoming the first player in the history of the Premier League to score three goals in one game against United.Bentley went on to feature regularly for Blackburn in the 2005–06 season, and helped the club finish sixth in league standings and qualify for the 2006–07 UEFA Cup.

The 2006–07 season saw Bentley become more of a regular goalscorer for Rovers, including some stunning strikes in the Premiership.In Europe, a 25 yard volley against Salzburg in the UEFA Cup helped secure Rovers' passage into the group stage,where he also scored a last minute winner against Wisła Kraków. Bentley's club performances attracted much transfer speculation. However, on 27 February 2007, despite being linked to a move to Manchester United, he agreed to a new contract that would keep him with Blackburn until 2011. Commenting on the new deal, Rovers manager Mark Hughes described Bentley as "a great talent with a big future" while Chairman John Williams added that he "is widely regarded as one of the best young footballers in the country." Bentley ended the season with seven goals and 13 assists for Blackburn, the latter statistic also highlighting his creative importance to the team. The young midfielder was later voted by Rovers fans as the club's Player of the Year.

Bentley recorded similar statistics in the following campaign, scoring eight goals and providing 13 assists. Blackburn finished seventh in the Premier League, but did not qualify for European competition. Bentley's consistent performances for his club, however, ensured that he played in a series of post-season friendlies for England. But that was to be the Englishman's final season with the Lancashire club. Not long after the departure of manager Mark Hughes to Manchester City, Bentley reiterated his desire to join a bigger club, and Blackburn placed a valuation of the player at around £18 million.

So he's only had two seasons as a regular starter before moving to Spuds in July 08 & starred in both.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:49 am

lets all have a disco wrote:

Or play SWP there and if he gets injured play Bentley or Miami and if Robbie gets injured Play either SWP there,Miami there or Bentley hell even Garrido or Sylvinho could cover if needs be.

Only weakness in that theory is that Petrov is better left winger than nay of them.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:57 am

MaseCTID wrote:
MaseCTID wrote:We SHOULDN'T be selling Petrov to Spurs but if the moaning twat wants to go why keep him here? I'm sure Spurs aren't the only club interested, but at the moment they are doing really well and he'll probably pick them out of the bunch of teams interested. It's like with Lescott, if he wants to go to a certain team all we can do is stick him in the reserves for the season, but that would be no use to anyone.

Have I missed something? Why is he moaning twat now?

He said a few weeks ago that he wasn't happy sitting on the bench and that a few clubs were after him and that he'll consider his future at City. I think a few days later Stevie Ireland came out with a comment about people knuckling down and fighting for their place.

That was Nigel de Jong who said that about knuckling down and everybody having a role to play, and should be ready to do it.
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Robinho

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum