‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:59 am

svengali wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
david yearsley wrote:Never had much time for this guy but the more I think about this the more I am thinking this could be a mastrstroke by Les .
Many on here have complained about not having a plan B - This puts that to bed at a stroke - Rocky and Bentley on the bench ready if we need to go 4-4-2 and change a game - plus Bentley´s dead ball abilities and the fact that Les knows him and can help him re-start his career . Away from the bright lights and an arm round the shoulder from someone he trusts and he COULD reinvent himself

Well there are other plan B's than just hoofing speculative crosses from halfway line towards general direction of Santa's head.

I'd prefer our plan b to be slick passing football.

Plan A is just that and it doesnt work against teams like Stoke. We need a plan B. A player who can cross from deep into the targets. No point having SWP running down blind alleys and then crossing into the stand.

So let me get this straight, we should start hoofing high balls in the box against side like Stoke who are slow but fucking strong in the air.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Mase » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:00 am

Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:
MaseCTID wrote:
MaseCTID wrote:We SHOULDN'T be selling Petrov to Spurs but if the moaning twat wants to go why keep him here? I'm sure Spurs aren't the only club interested, but at the moment they are doing really well and he'll probably pick them out of the bunch of teams interested. It's like with Lescott, if he wants to go to a certain team all we can do is stick him in the reserves for the season, but that would be no use to anyone.

Have I missed something? Why is he moaning twat now?

He said a few weeks ago that he wasn't happy sitting on the bench and that a few clubs were after him and that he'll consider his future at City. I think a few days later Stevie Ireland came out with a comment about people knuckling down and fighting for their place.

That was Nigel de Jong who said that about knuckling down and everybody having a role to play, and should be ready to do it.

Definitely Ireland mate, remember everyone was buzzin about his attitude on here. de Jong may have said the same thing though.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Crossie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:38 am

If this happens, Petrov for Bently and 2 million, its a great deal for the club and both players.

Im 100% happy for this deal
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Dameerto » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:46 am

MaseCTID wrote:
Robinho_Is_GOD wrote:
MaseCTID wrote:
MaseCTID wrote:We SHOULDN'T be selling Petrov to Spurs but if the moaning twat wants to go why keep him here? I'm sure Spurs aren't the only club interested, but at the moment they are doing really well and he'll probably pick them out of the bunch of teams interested. It's like with Lescott, if he wants to go to a certain team all we can do is stick him in the reserves for the season, but that would be no use to anyone.

Have I missed something? Why is he moaning twat now?

He said a few weeks ago that he wasn't happy sitting on the bench and that a few clubs were after him and that he'll consider his future at City. I think a few days later Stevie Ireland came out with a comment about people knuckling down and fighting for their place.

That was Nigel de Jong who said that about knuckling down and everybody having a role to play, and should be ready to do it.

Definitely Ireland mate, remember everyone was buzzin about his attitude on here. de Jong may have said the same thing though.

They both made similar comments, Ireland's were just after Petrov started grumbling and was clearly aimed at him in my eyes.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby svengali » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:53 am

svengali wrote:
david yearsley wrote:Never had much time for this guy but the more I think about this the more I am thinking this could be a mastrstroke by Les .
Many on here have complained about not having a plan B - This puts that to bed at a stroke - Rocky and Bentley on the bench ready if we need to go 4-4-2 and change a game - plus Bentley´s dead ball abilities and the fact that Les knows him and can help him re-start his career . Away from the bright lights and an arm round the shoulder from someone he trusts and he COULD reinvent himself

Well there are other plan B's than just hoofing speculative crosses from halfway line towards general direction of Santa's head.

Plan A is just that and it doesnt work against teams like Stoke. We need a plan B. A player who can cross from deep into the targets. No point having SWP running down blind alleys and then crossing into the stand.

So let me get this straight, we should start hoofing high balls in the box against side like Stoke who are slow but fucking strong in the air.

Forgive me if im wrong but I seem to remember Adebayor scoring with a header at the weekend? Bentley is one of the most accurate crossers of the ball in the game, he will pick out rsc or Ade who are both great in the air. Tell me how well slick passing football did away against 10 man Stoke last season?
svengali
De Jong's Tackle

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:55 am

Simple for me. If Bentley is willing to fight for a place on the team then he will be a good signing. Petrov has shown many of the warning signs of not been happy as a squad player and he wants first team football.

Thing is, it's interesting to note that players who demand first team football, especially after lengthy injuries, aren't actually players you want in your squad.

You want players who accept that to get in the team they have to play better than everyone else in that position.

We are very quickly weeding out the players who do not have the mentality for a champions league team and it will serve us better in the long term despite some short term heartbreak.

PS: Bentley is a prized cock :-D
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby feedthegreek » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:11 am

bentleys mate arrives at spurs training ground, to drive him up to city.
just seen it on ssnews loan deal they reckon.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:15 am

feedthegreek wrote:bentleys mate arrives at spurs training ground, to drive him up to city.

I saw it too and they could just as easily be going to the pub. Why not fly to Manchester in case of traffic on the M6?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby feedthegreek » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:18 am

john@staustell wrote:
feedthegreek wrote:bentleys mate arrives at spurs training ground, to drive him up to city.

I saw it too and they could just as easily be going to the pub. Why not fly to Manchester in case of traffic on the M6?

might be driving him to an airport.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:18 am

Somebody merge these Bentley threads FFS
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Mike J » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:29 am

if its a loan deal i wont argue with that. he is a total bellend but a pretty good player.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Manx Blue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:32 am

feedthegreek wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

might be driving him to an airport.

There's a chance he could fall asleep?
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:44 am

Premier League
Assists 2006/7
1 Francesc Fabregas Arsenal 13
2 Cristiano Ronaldo Man Utd 13
3 Mikel Arteta Everton 12
4 David Bentley Blackburn 11

Assists 2007/8
1 Francesc Fabregas Arsenal 19
2 Ashley Young Aston Villa 17
3 Wayne Rooney Man Utd 13
4 David Bentley Blackburn 11

On loan it dosn't seem too much of a bad deal imo.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Twobob » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:47 am

Better crosser of the ball than SWP and more end product - but still a little dubious about this one.

They were saying on TalkShite that Spuds fans had been moaning cos they didnt want him to go - dunno how true it is cos it was Talk Shite...

However, maybe Pretrov know's that his time is limited because Ribery's coming .... ;-) hohohoho
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby svengali » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:56 am

Twobob wrote:Better crosser of the ball than SWP and more end product - but still a little dubious about this one.

They were saying on TalkShite that Spuds fans had been moaning cos they didnt want him to go - dunno how true it is cos it was Talk Shite...

However, maybe Pretrov know's that his time is limited because Ribery's coming .... ;-) hohohoho

They are on some of their foums, Glory Glory seem to be gutted.
svengali
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:10 pm

svengali wrote:

If we're a goal down & struggling to break down a packed defence, a cross or free kick from Bentley may unlock it. None of our current players, other than Barry, tend to do that. Beckham used to win games for the scum by crossing without having to beat his man or delivering prescision set pieces. Lampard does it for Chelsea, Gerrard does it for Liverpool. It's quality football & just as worthy of praise as Robinho/Ireland slipping a clever pass through. If we play one way, we'll win nowt. If we'd had that ability last season & a big striker like Adebayor or RSC we'd've probably won the UEFA cup & got into Europe.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
svengali wrote:

If we're a goal down & struggling to break down a packed defence, a cross or free kick from Bentley may unlock it. None of our current players, other than Barry, tend to do that. Beckham used to win games for the scum by crossing without having to beat his man or delivering prescision set pieces. Lampard does it for Chelsea, Gerrard does it for Liverpool. It's quality football & just as worthy of praise as Robinho/Ireland slipping a clever pass through. If we play one way, we'll win nowt. If we'd had that ability last season & a big striker like Adebayor or RSC we'd've probably won the UEFA cup & got into Europe.

Well, I have to question that speculation.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:28 pm

I have to agree that we needed some height that day at Stoke. Or it would have at least provided an option. We had the ball nearly all the time, moving it left and right and back left again, but we couldn't pass our way through a tight defence. We certainly needed something different. I don't think we'd have scored if we'd played all night.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I have to agree that we needed some height that day at Stoke. Or it would have at least provided an option. We had the ball nearly all the time, moving it left and right and back left again, but we couldn't pass our way through a tight defence. We certainly needed something different. I don't think we'd have scored if we'd played all night.

No, we needed to SHOOT that day. Jeezes, we were trying to run the ball to net all game but no one was willing to take a shot outside the box. No amount of highballs to box would've won us the game.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:37 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I have to agree that we needed some height that day at Stoke. Or it would have at least provided an option. We had the ball nearly all the time, moving it left and right and back left again, but we couldn't pass our way through a tight defence. We certainly needed something different. I don't think we'd have scored if we'd played all night.

No, we needed to SHOOT that day. Jeezes, we were trying to run the ball to net all game but no one was willing to take a shot outside the box. No amount of highballs to box would've won us the game.

DIVIDE AND CONQUER IS THE NAME OF THE GAME NQDP, STRENGTH THROUGH DIVERSITY. WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE USE OF ALL POSSIBLE ANGLES OF ATTACK.
The Man In Blue

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum