‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ‘I hope Martin goes to Spurs,’

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:40 pm

So has he gone?
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Original Dub » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:53 pm

So let me get this straight:

a player sending an inch perfect cross into the area, to a striker that is fantastic in the air and subsequently puts it in the back of the net, is somehow ugly football? How silly. It's a fantastic option to have in our armoury. Its not necessarily just for the 'Stokes' of this world, it could very well unhinge a top side when all else has failed.

To have the option is obviously better to have than not to have. And crossing the ball can be a beautiful thing, otherwise David Beckham would never have become the player he did. And I'd be very suprised if they'd won that treble without his crossing ability. In fact if you check the stats that year, his crossing was instrumental.

Next thing we'll be being told that the ref was right in disallowing Micah's goal ;-)
Original Dub

Postby Slim » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Original Dub wrote:To have the option is obviously better to have than not to have. And crossing the ball can be a beautiful thing, otherwise David Beckham would never have become the player he did.

David Beckham was never the player he was, everyone knows that...tit.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby shawzy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:20 pm

SSN Martin Petrov's agent has revealed his client's disappointment at failing to secure a move to Tottenham.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:31 pm

shawzy wrote:SSN Martin Petrov's agent has revealed his client's disappointment at failing to secure a move to Tottenham.

Will be a toss-up who's eating the biggest shit sandwich, the Agent, Rigsby who will no doubt have a smacked arse face for the next few weeks and also Bebaflop.

I am pleased to see City didn't sell to Spurs - why should we potentially strengthen a rival? Biggest problem now will be how Rigsby reacts to this as he clearly wants/wanted out - balls in his court now.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Vhero » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Hmmm last minute bid for a world class winger coming in before the final hour then? Since this fell apart seems Spurs ain't gonna part with Bentley now.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Florida Blue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:45 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
svengali wrote:
david yearsley wrote:Never had much time for this guy but the more I think about this the more I am thinking this could be a mastrstroke by Les .
Many on here have complained about not having a plan B - This puts that to bed at a stroke - Rocky and Bentley on the bench ready if we need to go 4-4-2 and change a game - plus Bentley´s dead ball abilities and the fact that Les knows him and can help him re-start his career . Away from the bright lights and an arm round the shoulder from someone he trusts and he COULD reinvent himself

Well there are other plan B's than just hoofing speculative crosses from halfway line towards general direction of Santa's head.

I'd prefer our plan b to be slick passing football.

Plan A is just that and it doesnt work against teams like Stoke. We need a plan B. A player who can cross from deep into the targets. No point having SWP running down blind alleys and then crossing into the stand.

So let me get this straight, we should start hoofing high balls in the box against side like Stoke who are slow but fucking strong in the air.

If we're a goal down & struggling to break down a packed defence, a cross or free kick from Bentley may unlock it. None of our current players, other than Barry, tend to do that. Beckham used to win games for the scum by crossing without having to beat his man or delivering prescision set pieces. Lampard does it for Chelsea, Gerrard does it for Liverpool. It's quality football & just as worthy of praise as Robinho/Ireland slipping a clever pass through. If we play one way, we'll win nowt. If we'd had that ability last season & a big striker like Adebayor or RSC we'd've probably won the UEFA cup & got into Europe.

Irony, Petrov does that well.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:14 pm

Florida Blue wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
svengali wrote:
Well there are other plan B's than just hoofing speculative crosses from halfway line towards general direction of Santa's head.

I'd prefer our plan b to be slick passing football.

Plan A is just that and it doesnt work against teams like Stoke. We need a plan B. A player who can cross from deep into the targets. No point having SWP running down blind alleys and then crossing into the stand.

So let me get this straight, we should start hoofing high balls in the box against side like Stoke who are slow but fucking strong in the air.

If we're a goal down & struggling to break down a packed defence, a cross or free kick from Bentley may unlock it. None of our current players, other than Barry, tend to do that. Beckham used to win games for the scum by crossing without having to beat his man or delivering prescision set pieces. Lampard does it for Chelsea, Gerrard does it for Liverpool. It's quality football & just as worthy of praise as Robinho/Ireland slipping a clever pass through. If we play one way, we'll win nowt. If we'd had that ability last season & a big striker like Adebayor or RSC we'd've probably won the UEFA cup & got into Europe.

Irony, Petrov does that well.

Exactly.

But sometimes it seems that people yearn signings just for the sake of it rather than how they'd improve us. Petrov improves the squad, Bentley would've brought nothing to table that isn't there already.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:31 pm

Can't see any similarity between Bentley & Petrov whatsoever. One relys mainly on pace one never had any. Like comparing SWP to Beckham. The types of free kicks they take are completely different, both shooting & playing the ball in, Bentley tracks back Petrov doesn't, Petrov mainley crosses low after using pace to run behind the defender, Bentley usually picks out a striker for a header often from a yard of space on the byline or without beating the man. ...and so on and so on. Two of the most unalike players it could be possible to compare, who would probably compliment each other in a team.

Sorry we didn't get Bentley but pleased we kept Petrov.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Grob » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Berbatov, what a cock.

Petrov's obviously thrown his toys out of the pram as he;s not playing but im glad we kept him. He's a good weapon to have in the squad. I just hope he knuckles down and trys to earn his spot. Its the last year of his contract so i would imagine he;ll be off next summer after this.

Bentley is a very good player when his strengths are accentuated. Under Hughes he developed into a top class winger but since both left blackburn he has floundered when asked to do a different job at Spurs. A 1 trick pony.

Happy its all stayed the same as long as petrovs attitude doesnt suffer.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:52 pm

Grob wrote:Berbatov, what a cock.

Petrov's obviously thrown his toys out of the pram as he;s not playing but im glad we kept him. He's a good weapon to have in the squad. I just hope he knuckles down and trys to earn his spot. Its the last year of his contract so i would imagine he;ll be off next summer after this.

Bentley is a very good player when his strengths are accentuated. Under Hughes he developed into a top class winger but since both left blackburn he has floundered when asked to do a different job at Spurs. A 1 trick pony.

I'm sure he'll get a reasonable number of games if he shows the right attitude. It'll be easier to accomodate him once the team settles down & we could make good use of him. I fear he may try to force a January move after this though.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wooders » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Wooders wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Nononono!!!

This would be awfull move in so many fucking levels. We need out and out left footed winger. But even if Hughes has decided that we aren't going to play with wingers, we still wouldn't need that clown Bentley. Wtf? I mean David fucking Bentley, one season wonder of well RSC/Benjani level.

And where would he play anyway? He isn't fit to lick the shit out of SWP's boots or wash Tevez's alice band. In the middle? Are you having a laugh?

It seems that my predictions are slowly but surely coming true. Next up Warcock and friedel.

You're fucking funny !
So after, Robinho, Kompany, SWP, De Jong, Given, Zabaleta, Bellemy, Teves, Toure, Lescott, Bridge, Barry, Sylvinho and Adebayor, we get linked in the press to Bentley and some mong of bluemoon your prediction that hughes's is only gonna sign shit players he has played before because thats all he is comfortable with are coming true are they?
don't make me laugh

I wasn't predicting he'd sign shit players. His record of signing players is pretty impressive and I think I have admitted that all along. I did however predict that he'd turn us in some form "jobs for boys" Club. You can't argue with the fact that he has surrounded himself with people he has psat experience with rather than looking at what we have got.

Anyway, I can't believe you would be making some sort of case for Bentley signing.

how are the predictions going nostradamus?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City

Postby Grob » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

I'm sure he'll get a reasonable number of games if he shows the right attitude. It'll be easier to accomodate him once the team settles down & we could make good use of him. I fear he may try to force a January move after this though.

We've got 4 months more or less to find the right replacement for Martin rather than making a panic acquisition to fill the squad.

I'll be happy to see him leave in January when we've identified a superior successor to him. When money is no object, im sure we'll find someone out there. In terms of attacking midfield play, maybe our own Vladi Weiss can step into his role?? He's obviously not a left winger but our preferred formations tend not to include natural wingers.
Grob

Postby Mase » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 am

Martin Petrov's agent has revealed his client's disappointment at failing to secure a move to Tottenham.

Spurs were reported to be keen on striking a deal for the Manchester City winger as they look to counter the loss of Luka Modric to a broken leg.

Reports suggested that Bulgarian international Petrov would be brought to White Hart Lane in a deal which would see David Bentley moving in the opposite direction.

However, the proposed move broke down, with Petrov's representative Luchezar Taney revealing that 'Manchester City rejected the deal mainly due to manager Mark Hughes' unwillingness'.

The failure to put an agreement in place has come as a disappointment to the players concerned, as both have struggled for regular football at their respective clubs of late.

Tanev told Bulgarian radio station Darik: "I can say that Martin wanted to join Tottenham. You see that he has some problems at City and that's why he decided to look elsewhere and Spurs made an offer for him.

"But it's not the end of the world. He has one year of his contract left and we'll see after that."

Petrov will now focus his attention on forcing his way back into the fold at Manchester City, after a serious knee injury blighted his 2008/09 campaign.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:56 am

Grob wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

We've got 4 months more or less to find the right replacement for Martin rather than making a panic acquisition to fill the squad.

I'll be happy to see him leave in January when we've identified a superior successor to him. When money is no object, im sure we'll find someone out there. In terms of attacking midfield play, maybe our own Vladi Weiss can step into his role?? He's obviously not a left winger but our preferred formations tend not to include natural wingers.

Weiss has played on the left & done well there & when you look at the fact that Robinho plays there; Weiss is a player with similar attributes so there's no reason why he couldn't become adept at it. Still we'd need to sign a genuine left footer as an option for the job though. A young player perhaps?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Weiss has played on the left & done well there & when you look at the fact that Robinho plays there; Weiss is a player with similar attributes so there's no reason why he couldn't become adept at it. Still we'd need to sign a genuine left footer as an option for the job though. A young player perhaps?

I thought Weiss stunk when he played on the left in pre-season but I have only seen that one part-game and that via a stream. Hardly position A, I think.

Johnson from Middlesbrough anyone...?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum