bentley for petrov

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

bentley for petrov

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:59 am

David Bentley has been lined up in a sensational £15million player-plus-cash move to Manchester City.

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is close to a £5m deal for City’s Bulgarian left winger Martin Petrov.

But big-spending City and Tottenham are also discussing a last-gasp deal for England international Bentley to go the other way, with cash also changing hands.

Bentley, 25, who last week was banned from driving for 12 months for a drink-driving offence, joined Tottenham for £15m a year ago.

But he has struggled to win a regular spot and also lost his place in the England set-up as he has failed to win over the Spurs fans.

Everton, Aston Villa and Sunderland have all been interested in signing Bentley and Spurs are prepared to sell - as long as they can bring in a replacement.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is also demanding that he gets back almost all of his £15m outlay on the former Blackburn winger.

That has put off other clubs, and Everton even failed with a loan bid, but mega-rich City have the finances to sign Bentley and add the England winger to their expensively assembled squad.

City boss Mark Hughes managed Bentley during their time together at Blackburn and helped turn the former Arsenal trainee into an England international.

That prompted Tottenham to enquire about a possible player-plus-cash deal involving Petrov, 30, who was yesterday pulled out of the Bulgarian national squad to allow him to discuss a move to White Hart Lane.

Petrov nearly went to Tottenham two years ago but, after suffering a long-term knee injury, is now surplus to requirements at City.

But Tottenham are anxious to boost their squad after losing Croatian international Luka Modric for up to three months through injury.

Tottenham also made a cheeky enquiry to take Portsmouth’s Croatian midfielder Niko Kranjcar on loan, but now appear to be getting Petrov

i like pet, but bentley is only 25 and pet is 30, so i think if this comes off, its a good deal for us
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Re: bentley for petrov

Postby walshawblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:23 am

Sky sports understands that City and Spurs are in talks about David Bentley
BORN TO BE BLUE
walshawblue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: CITY
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Blueboylewis » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:58 am

bentley is a good player and on his day he is quality. Also i just think he will provide cover and nothing else but anyone could have guessed that.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beanieboy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:03 am

wow, are we getting Petrov?
Beanieboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Renato_CTID » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:34 am

Don Fabio should be very glad for England if MH will be able to rebuild a new David Bentley at Eastlands!!!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Vhero » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:48 am

I know we got the money but Bently worth 10m more than Petrov?? That's crazy talk! We are getting backup for right wing too? Wheres this leave Weiss?? I dont get it we have 3 players right now who can play on the right and 2 on the left yet we are talking about selling our only true left winger for another right winger? leaving 4 RW and 1 LW? (remove Rob and Tevez from that whos position ain't the best on the wing compared to their favoured position and your left with no left and 3 right)
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 am

Renato_CTID wrote:Don Fabio should be very glad for England if MH will be able to rebuild a new David Bentley at Eastlands!!!

Don Fabio seems to be fairly content with SWP, Lennon and Walcott.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Vhero » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:58 am

Also makes me worry Hughes will get his old friends at any cost to the team thus not putting the team first. I started to come round to Hughes this season but this deal could really change things for me.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Renato_CTID wrote:Don Fabio should be very glad for England if MH will be able to rebuild a new David Bentley at Eastlands!!!

Don Fabio seems to be fairly content with SWP, Lennon and Walcott.

If Bentley rediscovers his form for us, Spuds, Everton or whoever he'll be back in the England squad & possibly starting ahead of those 3. It's all up to him. Reading his history, talent never seems to have been the problem, it's his mentality; gambling, mental problems etc, etc. Hughes may think he knows how to fix him. Some managers have that connection with certain players, perhaps MH does with him. Hope is that if he does come, he sees this as an opportunity & gets stuck in. He'll never get a better chance to make a name for himself.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Tru_Blu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:04 am

not happy about this at all and to me seems like Mark just wants to get rid of anything he hasn't signed
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare."

Piers Morgan

Tru_Blu
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: oat-Rivaldo cur-KDB

Postby razor400 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:06 am

SSN Understands that t would be Bentley on loan to us with Petrov staying a blue. That would be a win win situation for us.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:09 am

razor400 wrote:SSN Understands that t would be Bentley on loan to us with Petrov staying a blue. That would be a win win situation for us.

That's better. Although I still have no idea where we'd use Bentley. Maybe to clean SWP's boots?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:10 am

razor400 wrote:SSN Understands that t would be Bentley on loan to us with Petrov staying a blue. That would be a win win situation for us.

Interesting but that would mean Harry REALLY wants him out. Maybe his head's gone.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:11 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Interesting but that would mean Harry REALLY wants him out. Maybe his head's gone.

Which begs the question why that is? Could be the drink-driving sentence. When Harry was in that car crash in Italy 1990, didn't he crash with someone who had been drinking? Or is my memory playing tricks with me?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby xavi6 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:12 am

Bentley's a crackin talent imo.

If Hughes could get the best out of him again then he'd be an excellent addition.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:14 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Which begs the question why that is? Could be the drink-driving sentence. When Harry was in that car crash in Italy 1990, didn't he crash with someone who had been drinking? Or is my memory playing tricks with me?

I'm not sure myself but I've definitely heard people say that recently.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Robinho_Is_GOD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:14 am

Would be every bit as stupid a deal as Barca giving Inter £40m and Eto'o for Ibrahimovic.

Smacks of desperation this one, add to the fact that Bentley wouldn't even get into our side, he isn't even good enough to get into the Spuds line-up, so why bother?.

Would put a dampner on a fantastic day so far..........................TBH (GONE), Dunne (GONE), Benjani (please just GO).
Robinho_Is_GOD
pot noodle style supporter
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Robinho

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:16 am

When SSN understands anything to do with a Redknapp club it normally means the source is him.

I think he has them on his speed dial. Knowing that f**cker he's telling him that so he cant drive down the price for another deal pretending to have no money whilst still taking the 10M from us.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby conkers » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:28 am

That's better. Although I still have no idea where we'd use Bentley. Maybe to clean SWP's boots?

Bentley is a far better crosser.
conkers
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby OhDannyBoy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:33 am

conkers wrote:

Bentley is a far better crosser.

I agree he is

But swp is the better dribbler and has the better workrate, stronger and can tackle..

Shauny is used more of a central midfielder that edges out wide, we would have to change our whole line up to play with bentley as like petrov he is an out n out winger..

Would be a nice option of playing the 2 big lads uptop 2 real wingers and 2 holders in the middle wouldnt it?...Get the crosses in
OhDannyBoy
Superman's Underpants

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum