Fixtures during the African Cup of Nations

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Fixtures during the African Cup of Nations

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:59 am

Have assumed that Ade and Kolo will have to join up with their national squads a couple of weeks before the tournament kicks off so (if they both make the final) these are the games they'll be missing....

Saturday, 26 December 2009
Man City v Stoke, 15:00
Monday, 28 December 2009
Wolverhampton v Man City, 15:00
Saturday, 9 January 2010
Man City v Blackburn, 15:00
Saturday, 16 January 2010
Everton v Man City, 15:00
Tuesday, 26 January 2010
Stoke v Man City, 19:45
Saturday, 30 January 2010
Man City v Portsmouth, 15:00

Nothing too scary there IMHO....
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Re: Fixtures during the African Cup of Nations

Postby Dameerto » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:09 pm

I hope Santa is fit to play by then. Im looking forward to seeing him in action once he is upto speed. I noticed McGivern's loan is only until The new year as well - so I would expect him to be used as cover.

(Actually forget the McGivern thing, he's on loan 'til the end of January so will miss them all.)
Last edited by Dameerto on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby razor400 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Hughesthedaddy wrote:Have assumed that Ade and Kolo will have to join up with their national squads a couple of weeks before the tournament kicks off so (if they both make the final) these are the games they'll be missing....

Saturday, 26 December 2009
Man City v Stoke, 15:00
Monday, 28 December 2009
Wolverhampton v Man City, 15:00
Saturday, 9 January 2010
Man City v Blackburn, 15:00
Saturday, 16 January 2010
Everton v Man City, 15:00
Tuesday, 26 January 2010
Stoke v Man City, 19:45
Saturday, 30 January 2010
Man City v Portsmouth, 15:00

Nothing too scary there IMHO....

None of those should be classed a tough fixtures (maybe Everton) so nothing to panic about.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:38 pm

We really could use Kolo's mental strength v Everton imo. RSC should be adequate cover for Ade v those lot though.

In fact he's ideal to help defend v Stoke's rugby tactics.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ronk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:55 pm

razor400 wrote:
None of those should be classed a tough fixtures (maybe Everton) so nothing to panic about.

It's 6 matches (+FA Cup) that could account for a vital 14-18 points at a tough part of the season where our South Americans mightn't be at their best.

It's not going to be easy to play Wolves away on a Monday, 2 days after Stoke, it's not going to be easy to play in Stoke on a Tuesday night in January.

What we will have is the option to buy cover if we're having problems with injuries when Toure and Adebayor leave.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:58 pm

ronk wrote:
razor400 wrote:

It's 6 matches (+FA Cup) that could account for a vital 14-18 points at a tough part of the season where our South Americans mightn't be at their best.

It's not going to be easy to play Wolves away on a Monday, 2 days after Stoke, it's not going to be easy to play in Stoke on a Tuesday night in January.

What we will have is the option to buy cover if we're having problems with injuries when Toure and Adebayor leave.

i agree with that assessment. that will be a key stretch of the season where the points collected will be required and not nice to have. No room for error in those matches.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:17 pm

We should be at least 15 points clear at the top by then, so I am not stressing.

I am more concerned that RSC will have to compete in 6 matches on the trot, that’s like one and a half seasons games for him ( poor cnut ) .
CITYTILLIDIE11
pot noodle style supporter
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Florida Blue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Imagine if Nedum decides to go ahead and play for Nigeria?

Does that mean Richards or McGivern are the only cover options for Kompany (assuming he is fit) and Lescott?
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby gillie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:00 pm

Florida Blue wrote:Imagine if Nedum decides to go ahead and play for Nigeria?

Does that mean Richards or McGivern are the only cover options for Kompany (assuming he is fit) and Lescott?

I dont think Ned can play for Nigeria now can he?.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby bluej » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 pm

gillie wrote:

I think he still can, as he hasn't represented England at senior level, and you can play for another country at any age now, providing you've not played at senior level.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 083006.stm

Can't see Ned doing it though, him and Hart are future England internationals imo.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby gillie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:14 pm

bluej wrote:
gillie wrote:

I think he still can, as he hasn't represented England at senior level, and you can play for another country at any age now, providing you've not played at senior level.

Can't see Ned doing it though, him and Hart are future England internationals imo.

Thanks for that Bluej.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Florida Blue » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:38 am

bluej wrote:
gillie wrote:

This discusses Ned directly
http://goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2009/08/30/1470084/manchester-city-defender-nedum-onuoha-considers-nigeria-approach-
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:40 am

IMO there is absolutely zero chance of Nedum electing to play for Nigeria at this stage in his career.

He has a genuine shout of being a full England international and you only have to listen to him talk when on England U21 duty to see that he feels truly English (irrespective of where he was born, he has lived his whole life more or less in the UK).

Different for lads like the Etuhus who, let's face it, didn't have anywhere near the necessary quality to get near full England colours. Nedum on the other hand has the talent to do so, is at the right club for the profile AND has his own personal cheerleader (Pearce) in the coaching set-up.

If he'd still not been capped come the qualifiers for the world cup in 2014 then maybe he'd consider it as he's a bright, ambitious lad. But the chances of him electing to play at this stage for the Super Eagles....well, there's more chance of it snowing here in Cairo
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:30 pm

Don't forget the Carling Cup Semis are in January too!
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Florida Blue » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:44 pm

ant london wrote:IMO there is absolutely zero chance of Nedum electing to play for Nigeria at this stage in his career.

He has a genuine shout of being a full England international and you only have to listen to him talk when on England U21 duty to see that he feels truly English (irrespective of where he was born, he has lived his whole life more or less in the UK).

Different for lads like the Etuhus who, let's face it, didn't have anywhere near the necessary quality to get near full England colours. Nedum on the other hand has the talent to do so, is at the right club for the profile AND has his own personal cheerleader (Pearce) in the coaching set-up.

If he'd still not been capped come the qualifiers for the world cup in 2014 then maybe he'd consider it as he's a bright, ambitious lad. But the chances of him electing to play at this stage for the Super Eagles....well, there's more chance of it snowing here in Cairo

Ant, he does not have that long to wait, the choice must be made while his 21, since he played youth levels for the England National Team. So it is now or never for the Super Eagles.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ronk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:49 pm

Florida Blue wrote:
ant london wrote:IMO there is absolutely zero chance of Nedum electing to play for Nigeria at this stage in his career.

Ant, he does not have that long to wait, the choice must be made while his 21, since he played youth levels for the England National Team. So it is now or never for the Super Eagles.

They've changed that rule this summer.
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john@staustell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:58 pm

Or Ben Mee, or Gareth Barry.

IMO we should have enough of a squad to deal with those fixtures during the Africa thingy.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:36 pm

We'll be without Toure for a while but not Adebayor.

Have Togo even qualifed for the tourny?

I vaguely remember something about the World Cup groups been used as the same groups for qualification to ACoN.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby rick1894citizen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:46 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:We'll be without Toure for a while but not Adebayor.

Have Togo even qualifed for the tourny?

I vaguely remember something about the World Cup groups been used as the same groups for qualification to ACoN.

True enough, can't see Togo going far (if qualified) but Ivory Coast have a shout of going all way, although my knowledge of African football is looking at the results and watching the teams that make the World Cup.

This is another reason why we should have a winter break imo.
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby ronk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:11 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
ronk wrote:
razor400 wrote:

i agree with that assessment. that will be a key stretch of the season where the points collected will be required and not nice to have. No room for error in those matches.

Possibly just as important will be the 2 matches after they get back. Hull away and Bolton home (midweek immediately after Hull).

Looking at last year it's easy to see the damage done to our campaign around February. We lost to Stoke, beat Middlesbrough and lost Portsmouth before managing a draw Liverpool and then losing to West Ham. We almost went out of the UEFA Cup against Copenhagen too.

Change those 3 losses into wins (not unrealistic) and we'd have been 12 points better off going into the end of the season, that would have been enough for one point behind Everton and ahead of Villa on goal difference.

There are other places the points could have been made up but it's easy to target a few spells last year that did a huge amount of damage to our campaign. Most importantly, they don't seen like all that difficult targets in terms of ambition.
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum