Reserves Tonight v Everton

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Reserves Tonight v Everton

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Thought I would pop along for a look and was entertained with a 4 .1 demolition of the blue scousers.
Interesting game we dominated for most of the match and scored quite early through Ball. He really is a good goalscorer and it was simply down to his desire to get to the ball first. Initially against a big defender who tried to pull him back a little but there was no thinking about going down as he shrugged him off and then got to the ball just before the keeper to poke it home.]

The 2nd goal was all about Cunningham timing a break from left full back and getting slipped in by Karl Moore , he then cut inside the full back advanced on the keeper and scored from the angle. Excellent goal and Cunningham looked good all night going forward.

The 3rd goal was a an aggressive run forward by Vidal an exchange of passes with Poole and an extremely cool sidefoot finish. So that's both full backs on the scoresheet.

We then missed a penalty which was a real shocking effort from Nimley. He tried the stutter approach and then a soft sidefoot. Sadly the keeper went the right way and saved with the utmost ease.

The final goal was Ball again latching onto a ball down the left from Cunningham. He made his marker look a fool and then ran onto the keeper to score with ease.

Evertons goal was far too easy. A run down the right and a cross past Cunnigham . Mee was marking the guy who scored but I thin he slipped which let him score from about 7 yards. Gunner Nielsen in goal made 2 excellent saves in the 2nd half but all in all wasn't ever under much pressure.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Reserves Tonight v Everton

Postby feedthegreek » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:09 pm

thanks for that doug, glad they won and played well.
proper city fan you.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Toy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:21 pm

Cheers Doug.

Who was in goal for us?
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Blue Toy wrote:Cheers Doug.

Who was in goal for us?

"Gunner Nielsen in goal made 2 excellent saves in the 2nd half but all in all wasn't ever under much pressure."
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blue Toy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Blue Toy wrote:Cheers Doug.

Who was in goal for us?

"Gunner Nielsen in goal made 2 excellent saves in the 2nd half but all in all wasn't ever under much pressure."

Exactly, who?

;-)
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Grob » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Cheers for that doug
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby john68 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:58 pm

Doug,
You spend a lot of time around City and see a much broader picture than most of us.

Question: Are we producing good youth/reserve TEAMS that win games, or are we producing individual players who can come through into the 1st team and cope with prem football?
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby PoC » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:11 am

I went tonight aswell, i though nimley's penalty was especially poor

i passed mark hughes as he was pulling up in his aston martin pre game
MaineRoadMemories wrote:Both can suck there own bolloxs off so they're as equal as each other but a lot greater than us.
PoC
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby irblinx » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:06 am

Not been to a reserves match for a while now, must make a point of going again.

ref Nimely, you know I've never been that impressed with him tbh. I'm not at all sure that he will make it here.

Ball however was a revelation when he came in to the ressies (season before last), up till that point Ched had been the star striker (Sturridge was out injured) and when he went on loan we didn't look like scoring for a couple of games as we were left with Grimes. Then Ball moved up and couldn't stop scoring, I'm lead to believe that Mak is of the same ilk although haven't really seen him.

How does Nielson look in general Doug, the keeper was always the weak point when I went. They all seemed a bit small and not great on crosses either
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:59 am

john68 wrote:Doug,
You spend a lot of time around City and see a much broader picture than most of us.

Question: Are we producing good youth/reserve TEAMS that win games, or are we producing individual players who can come through into the 1st team and cope with prem football?

That's a toughie. I haven't really seen enough reserve and youth team games to know . My gut feel would be that we produce very good ,well coached, well organised teams that win games. Obviously talent within that who will make the grade at some pro level but how many have that special talent to make it at prem level is hard to tell.

Someone like Sturridge stood out but my guess is that Stephen ireland might not have done. Let's face it although he has looked a good player for quite a while it only came to the fore how special he is last season. I know Trippier is extremely highly thought of and he has made an early appearance with the first team squad.The big question though is always going to be how to get them intgo the first team matches as it is only then you will know how good they are or can be.

Ball I really like from what I have seen. He seems clinical and quite cool in front of goal. That's great but he would need to be more than that ( more than a Paul Moulden!) He does seem to come off the centre backs to recieve the ball well and shows a good touch but I havent seen enough of his movemenet off the ball and his appreciation of players around him to fully judge. Only my opinion anyway but I plan to watch much more to find out.

I like Boyata as well. Tall centre half who isn't just about heading the ball but again I havent seen much. Ben Mee I have liked for a while. Not the tallest but good in the air , composed on the ground.

Plenty of them have real quality. It would be good to see occasions where chances are given in the first team but it won't happen that often.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:04 am

irblinx wrote:Not been to a reserves match for a while now, must make a point of going again.

ref Nimely, you know I've never been that impressed with him tbh. I'm not at all sure that he will make it here.

Ball however was a revelation when he came in to the ressies (season before last), up till that point Ched had been the star striker (Sturridge was out injured) and when he went on loan we didn't look like scoring for a couple of games as we were left with Grimes. Then Ball moved up and couldn't stop scoring, I'm lead to believe that Mak is of the same ilk although haven't really seen him.

How does Nielson look in general Doug, the keeper was always the weak point when I went. They all seemed a bit small and not great on crosses either

Nielson looked pretty good to me. He is actually quite a big lad but last night wasn't really tested on crosses. I have seen plenty of him at training though to know he has good hands but the only true test re crosses is under pressure in games as we know.

Robbie Mak's has an excellent reputation as a goalscorer. I saw him once last year and he scored a very good goal then so definitely one to watch.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:25 am

In response to the team v players question; I think it's a bit of both. We win a lot of games because we have good teams with some very good & some not so good players. Also we only play against a few decent teams per season so it often depends on which 11 we put out against them, we can beat a lot of the others anyway.

I don't go much these days but in the past I've seen us win games comfortably without having a real prospect in the 11 but equally lose heavily with a team full of potential PL players.

Jim Cassell's always said winning comes 2nd, it's all about developing players. An example would be when Micah missed the FA youth cup final 1st leg v Liverpool & Jim played a little lad in his place which was the worst tactical disaster in the history of football but it was probably done because that lad had been in the squad & it was his turn & to bring in someone from outside the squad would've been a blow to him. The lad's opportunity was probably more important than the result.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john68 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:02 am

Thanks for the heads up gents. Some years ago,I stopped going to 1st team games and watched the stiffs regularly. Now I don't get to see the kids except for Youth Cup games...and we ain't had many of them at home.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:16 am

Thanks Doug. Great report.

Do you reckon we would have won 6-1 if Jim Cassell hadnt been hounded out of his postion?
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:32 am

ross.mcfc wrote:Thanks Doug. Great report.

Do you reckon we would have won 6-1 if Jim Cassell hadnt been hounded out of his postion?

This was reserves wasn't it? Has Glyn Hodges been hounded out too?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:Thanks Doug. Great report.

As Slim said its Hodges with the reserves anyway but the answer would have been no anyway. Personally I think your question is over emotive , wrong and out of order but that's just me.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john@staustell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:55 pm

It's good to think that with about 25 mostly dead-wooders transferred or loaned out of the way, there may be a first team chance for the likes of Ball if we get a couple of injuries up front.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Dameerto » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:19 pm

They showed the goals from this game on SSN last night. Moyes and Hughes were both there watching.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Return to The Maine Football forum