Shock....positive Mirror article....

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Shock....positive Mirror article....

Postby ant london » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 am

Why Kaka might regret choosing Real Madrid over Manchester City

I went to the Bernabeu to marvel on Saturday night, to be dazzled by the light show that Real Madrid had been preparing all summer.

And, yes, it was a thrill to see Kaka, Raul, Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema all playing in the same attack, all producing moments of magic.

And of course it was impossible not to be impressed by a central midfield partnership of Xabi Alonso and Lassana Diarra that already looks like a beautiful blend of artistry and endeavour.

But there were two teams who established themselves as the leading collectors of great talents this summer and if I had to predict which one would fare better in the season ahead, it would not be Madrid.

Because when I have seen Manchester City play this season, they have had a quality that Madrid do not yet possess and which they may struggle to acquire.

City have played like a team. They have played for each other. They have worked hard. They have ignored the circus that has surrounded their huge outlay.

They have not played any of the top sides yet but they have beaten everything that has been put in front of them.

They have battled to victories at hostile venues like Ewood Park and Selhurst Park, the kind of places where prima donna visiting teams often surrender.

And they have done it looking like a cohesive unit, a side skilfully put together by Mark Hughes with men bought for particular roles and to complement their team-mates.

Players rich in Premier League experience, players who know what to expect from the demands of English football, players who won’t take a year to settle in.

There’s a method to what Hughes has done that cuts through all the garbage that has been spewed out about City losing their soul because they have bought some new players.

I saw a message on a noticeboard this week from a City fan who said he would rather that the team were fighting relegation than attempting to buy the title.

Well, let’s ponder that for a moment and ask exactly how you win the Premier League title if it’s not by spending money.

Has everybody suddenly forgotten that Rio Ferdinand, Owen Hargreaves, Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick didn’t exactly come cheap when Sir Alex Ferguson bought them?

Or that when Nottingham Forest won the European Cup for the first time in 1979, the winning goal was scored by Trevor Francis, the first player to cost £1m.

Or that Bill Shankly began to achieve great things at Liverpool when he was given big money to spend on Ian St John and Ron Yeats in 1961.

Within that context, Hughes has spent wisely and well. That is already obvious in the performances of almost every single member of the £200m squad he has put together.

They didn’t buy anybody on transfer deadline day yesterday because they didn’t need anybody. For now, they are happy with what they have got.

Gareth Barry looks like a terrific signing, a bargain at £12m. Hughes and his coaches are getting the best out of temperamental forward Emmanuel Adebayor. Shay Given has been superb. Kolo Toure has been commanding in defence. Joleon Lescott will be a fine partner for him.

Contrast that with the first impressions of Madrid on Saturday night. It is early to make proper judgments, I know, but the difference was stark.

Even though it was the Real defence that looked shaky and vulnerable, it was the jostling of the Galacticos in attack that hinted at the weaknesses in Madrid’s summer transfer splurge.

Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema and Raul are all brilliant players. There is no disputing that. But there seemed little method to their deployment against Deportivo La Coruna.

Several times, they got in each other’s way, crowding into the same space. Several times, the man on the ball went for glory himself when a simple pass to a team-mate would have almost certainly led to a goal.

The body language was not good either. There was plenty of shrugging and gesticulating from Ronaldo, which was only to be expected.

But even though Kaka played well and ran with the ball with panache and drive, he often looked ill-at-ease, gesturing occasionally at his team-mates to give him space.

They will work things out as the season goes on. They are all too good and too intelligent as footballers not to.

But seeing them on the same field on Saturday was a reminder that money doesn’t necessarily buy you success. It has to be well spent.

We will find out just how far City have come in the weeks after this international break when they play Arsenal and United in quick succession.

But there is an assuredness about them already that suggests they may be ready to challenge for the top four more quickly than many of us expected.

And in a couple of years, when they are competing in the Champions League, I have a hunch that in one of these transfer windows, they may make another bid for Kaka.

And when Kaka sees what City have achieved and the way they have achieved it, he will decide that this time Manchester represents a better option than Madrid.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: Shock....positive Mirror article....

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 am

I watched the Real-Deportivo game on weekend and while they were good going forward, they were as shit as usual on the back.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby razor400 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:40 am

I was just about to post this. Shocking, who he fuck does oliver Holt think he is writing hit like that about my beloved City, how dare he. Um oh it was a positve article, thats Holt collecting his p45 then. The kiss arse.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:43 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I watched the Real-Deportivo game on weekend and while they were good going forward, they were as shit as usual on the back.

I thought the same & I agree with this bloke; that they didn't look like a team & to me they didn't look like the beginnings of a team. Even if we get shafted by Arsenal & scum, we've shown a willingness amongst the players where you'd expect them to come back from it & start again; they look like a team in the making wheras Madrid look like a collection of talent. I can imagine them coming seriously unstuck in the Chump's lg unless they get it together fast.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:48 am

Does anyone else think "wohooo, positive article...but he is STILL wrong"? We are not playing like a unit yet, selfless play but we would expect that from Barry, Tevez, Toure etc. Wait till this side ACTUALLY plays like a team, FEAR NO-ONE!
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:56 am

Slim wrote:Does anyone else think "wohooo, positive article...but he is STILL wrong"? We are not playing like a unit yet, selfless play but we would expect that from Barry, Tevez, Toure etc. Wait till this side ACTUALLY plays like a team, FEAR NO-ONE!

I think we look more of a team than we have for many years but you can see lots of potential room for improvement in all areas. They look like a bunch of players who are building something together though, not a random bunch of talented individuals, that's the key to me. Even if it goes wrong, they give out an impression that they'll work to put it right.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:01 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Slim wrote:Does anyone else think "wohooo, positive article...but he is STILL wrong"? We are not playing like a unit yet, selfless play but we would expect that from Barry, Tevez, Toure etc. Wait till this side ACTUALLY plays like a team, FEAR NO-ONE!

I think we look more of a team than we have for many years but you can see lots of potential room for improvement in all areas. They look like a bunch of players who are building something together though, not a random bunch of talented individuals, that's the key to me. Even if it goes wrong, they give out an impression that they'll work to put it right.

I think we look more like a team now because the quality matches up across all 11 players, the teamwork will come but Hughes does know how to spend a penny or two. (even if we absolutely couldn't seem to walk away from the RSC deal) So he has bought players that are tuned towards teamwork, Shauny is a great example as are the three I posted before of players who will run through walls for their team mates. I realise Ade isn't exactly geared that way, but every spear needs a point and as long as he keeps scoring he will breed confidence throughout the team.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:10 am

Slim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I think we look more like a team now because the quality matches up across all 11 players, the teamwork will come but Hughes does know how to spend a penny or two. (even if we absolutely couldn't seem to walk away from the RSC deal) So he has bought players that are tuned towards teamwork, Shauny is a great example as are the three I posted before of players who will run through walls for their team mates. I realise Ade isn't exactly geared that way, but every spear needs a point and as long as he keeps scoring he will breed confidence throughout the team.

The rags teams Hughes played in got the balance between teamwork & flair just about spot on & were able to graft but still carry along Can***a who only got involved when they lost the ball if he was going to kick someone in the throat. MH is close to finding a way of having Robinho in the team but still playing 4 more flair players in some games, which is pretty impressive so early in the season with a changing defence. It may come unstuck sometimes but it augurs well for the future. Alternatively we could also put out a seriously tough 11 if we needed to.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ross.mcfc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:12 am

Doesn't matter if its pro or anti City that is incredibly poor journalism. Quoting message boards for articles?
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ant london » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:16 am

Ted Hughes wrote: we could also put out a seriously tough 11 if we needed to.

--------------------------Given--------------------------
Richards----------Toure----Lescott---------Sylvinho
--------------------De Jong--Kompany----------------
Zabaleta-----------------Ireland-----------------Barry
--------------------------Bellamy-----------------------

shitkicktastic
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:28 am

ant london wrote:

shitkicktastic

Or Barry LB, Bellamy on the left & RSC up front.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:36 am

ross.mcfc wrote:Doesn't matter if its pro or anti City that is incredibly poor journalism. Quoting message boards for articles?

Yeah - and quoting one of those idiots who would rather be fighting relegation.

Holt will be fired from the Mirror if he keeps writing positively about City.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:43 am

ant london wrote:

shitkicktastic

That's just an awful lineup ant, you should be ashamed.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:46 am

I didn't say I'd play it....it was my kicking XI. I don't think we ever need resort to fighting fire with fire in that way

we have enough steel to combine with our silk in the good teams we can put out
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:48 am

ant london wrote:I didn't say I'd play it....it was my kicking XI. I don't think we ever need resort to fighting fire with fire in that way

we have enough steel to combine with our silk in the good teams we can put out

And you suck at textiles too. :p
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:00 am

Just another scum sucking, slimy journalist slithering up to Eastlands in the belated realisation that City have real money and serious intentions and are no longer to be laughed at.
Hawkeye
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:26 am

Oliver Holt reconed he used to go to City games, then became one of Fergies cheif winnit cleaners in the darkest depths of swampdome, now seems ready to ride the blue glory train all the way home..

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:31 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Oliver Holt reconed he used to go to City games, then became one of Fergies cheif winnit cleaners in the darkest depths of swampdome, now seems ready to ride the blue glory train all the way home..

Oliver Holt has been biggest fucking Rag arse licker around for years. If that was written by Holt then that glory hunting twat can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.

Someone claimed to know him and said he is actually Stockport County supporter but everything I've ever read from has indicated he is red through and through. Some of the stuff he has written about us over the years have been so insulting it's ridiculous.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby carolina-blue » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Oliver Holt reconed he used to go to City games, then became one of Fergies cheif winnit cleaners in the darkest depths of swampdome, now seems ready to ride the blue glory train all the way home..

Oliver Holt has been biggest fucking Rag arse licker around for years. If that was written by Holt then that glory hunting twat can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.

Someone claimed to know him and said he is actually Stockport County supporter but everything I've ever read from has indicated he is red through and through. Some of the stuff he has written about us over the years have been so insulting it's ridiculous.

Hahaha Like it Nice one , .......Looks like Times are a changing . However If all this Plattini crap comes to fruition we are going to need people in the press
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:15 pm

carolina-blue wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Hahaha Like it Nice one , .......Looks like Times are a changing . However If all this Plattini crap comes to fruition we are going to need people in the press

Much as I agree with NQDP, I think Holt is rated as one of the better writers amongst the scum of earth that are loosely referred to as sports journalists & I think City have been targeting the 'best' ones with a bit of a charm offensive. Not that they're on our side but they're no longer actively against us. If you compare the attitude of the media now compared to what it was not so long ago, although there's still plenty of crap designed to unsettle us, it's being balanced out by more positive stuff.

I think our PR people have been earning their money.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum