we signged big players but are still a small club

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: we signged big players but are still a small club

Postby ronk » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:small and short aren't the same thing - Toure and Richards may be "only" 182-6cm tall (or whatever) but they are big physical presences, powerful, difficult to run against, jump with and mark. I don't think our squad needs to be, or will be, muscled out of any games nor will it struggle against the long ball game. Plus, we play most of our football on the transition and along the floor - for which are personnel are about perfect - there aren't many 6foot+ players capable of playing that game (who'd be interested in joining right now). I absolutely guarantee we're taller than Barca though.

At attacking set pieces you've got Adebayor man mountaining, Lescott piling across your face and Toure and Richards bombing/salmoning in. I think Blackburn and the goal at Pompey have been good indicators of how much change you can expect to get out of us at set pieces/in the air.

I agree. We're looking much more like a team that can hold its own in the air. Pure height isn't necessarily important for that. It's also fantastic that none of the signings are really there just to provide aerial ability (possibly RSC, but that's okay). Bonus.

You tempted to make an estimate of what a decent set piece will be worth to us over the season (goals &/or points)?
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Vhero » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Gotta love how we started this year I wonder how long we can keep it up :).
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:08 pm

ronk wrote:
Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:small and short aren't the same thing - Toure and Richards may be "only" 182-6cm tall (or whatever) but they are big physical presences, powerful, difficult to run against, jump with and mark. I don't think our squad needs to be, or will be, muscled out of any games nor will it struggle against the long ball game. Plus, we play most of our football on the transition and along the floor - for which are personnel are about perfect - there aren't many 6foot+ players capable of playing that game (who'd be interested in joining right now). I absolutely guarantee we're taller than Barca though.

At attacking set pieces you've got Adebayor man mountaining, Lescott piling across your face and Toure and Richards bombing/salmoning in. I think Blackburn and the goal at Pompey have been good indicators of how much change you can expect to get out of us at set pieces/in the air.

I agree. We're looking much more like a team that can hold its own in the air. Pure height isn't necessarily important for that. It's also fantastic that none of the signings are really there just to provide aerial ability (possibly RSC, but that's okay). Bonus.

You tempted to make an estimate of what a decent set piece will be worth to us over the season (goals &/or points)?

Away from home? it doesn't seem like there's a ceiling on that - "fucking loads"is my guess.
Be nice if we can avoid the last minute set-piece goals that cost us at Eastlands as well.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:17 pm

I think we appear far better equipped to deal well with set pieces at either end of the park. The average height thing is possibly distorted by having a sprinkling of dwarves in the squad.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum