I get the feeling Joe Hart will be sold next year

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

I get the feeling Joe Hart will be sold next year

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:49 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... ester-city

Reading this interview, he's all about playing the game and getting the limelight. Nice to see someone wanting to play first team football but he must realise just how far behind Shay Given he actually is in terms of development and sheer ability not to mention 10 years younger. Keepers used to wait until mid till late 20's in the past, not any more and I can see Shay been our first choice keeper for another 5 years.

"There are too many haters," says Joe Hart, spreading out his 6ft 3in frame on a training-ground bench and reflecting on the way Manchester City, to borrow a line from Noel Gallagher, were once the club for whom every London cabbie had a soft spot and are now the one they dislike the most. "There are too many bitter people. Too much jealousy. Everyone wants to knock them down but I hope they do really well. They have not broken any rules. They have paid the money, they are not doing it with backhanders, it's legitimate money. So good luck to them, I say."

"People say to me, 'Well, it's a World Cup year so you had to do this now' and I know where they are coming from but, honestly, that wasn't the thinking behind this move," he says. "The World Cup could have been this summer or three years away and I still would have wanted to get a new club. I had to play, you see. It's job satisfaction and I've got that here. The manager has been great to me and given me the opportunity to play straight away; that's the whole point of being in this industry, isn't it? To play, to be in the limelight, to enjoy the game. But that had gone for me at Man City."

"I just laughed," he says, but he is shaking his head when he says it. "I didn't know what to think, to be honest. I'd heard people talking about it happening. It was in the papers. So I approached people at the club and asked if it was true. They said, 'Nothing is final and ra ra ra.' Then, right at the end of January, Shay was training with us. I just had to accept it because what else could I do? I just thought, 'Whatever!' But there was no point being bitter or stroppy about it.

"I was comfortable about how I had done. OK, I wasn't perfect, but which goalkeeper is? I still felt I had been playing well but he [Mark Hughes] felt he had to bring in another goalkeeper and I suppose it his job to make those decisions. What I would say is that everyone else I spoke to at that time was really supportive. All the supporters were really appreciative of what I had done and how I had been playing."

"There's no guarantee I will ever play for them again," Hart says. "I would love to but, if I'm not needed, then fair enough. I'm at Birmingham now and I've got nothing to do with Manchester City any more. I still find myself supporting them, their result is the first one I look for and I want the lads to do well, but Birmingham are my priority now. I want to do well for myself, I want to do well for Birmingham and if that means I get another chance with England, that's perfect for everyone."
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: I get the feeling Joe Hart will be sold next year

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:56 pm

The few games I've seen of him this season he actually looks a lot further away from the standard we require than he did last year. He's so young though & goalkeepers usually don't hit their peak 'til they're oldish by footballer's standards. We could do some kind of a deal where we have the 1st option to buy him back perhaps, if he wanted to move on a permanent basis that is.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:57 pm

I always thought Joe was 6'5", the OS lists him as 6'5" I guess the article writer took his information from Wikipedia where he is listed at 6'3".
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:03 pm

it's too bad Joe wouldnt stay here to learn, but i probably would have left if i were him as well. When you look at recent young "next big thing" keepers like Carson, and Foster they are looking more vulnerable than ever, and not nearly the finished product people thought they were a few years ago. Hope Hart avoids that fate.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby roadkill2487 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Yeah, Joe Hart is 6'5
roadkill2487
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Wooders » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:02 am

if we're clever with loan deals etc he won't feel a need to leave - sign him up on a contract with a gentlemans agreement he won't just let it run down and sod off on a free if we've been loaning him out every season
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby ronk » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:58 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote: "OK, I wasn't perfect, but which goalkeeper is? I still felt I had been playing well but he [Mark Hughes] felt he had to bring in another goalkeeper and I suppose it his job to make those decisions.

I like Hart but I also don't think people can argue at this point that Given isn't doing a better job.

It's interesting to see him speaking so openly but really I'd have been more impressed if he'd talked about needing to improve and been more cognisant of his failings.

Sure he needs to play but there's a certain immaturity in his attitude that's a little unfortunate. As soon as he lost his place he wanted out the door. It's a difficult time for a developing keeper, but he mightn't have suffered from a little time on the bench. It's easy to become complacent.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:24 am

ive seen him play a couple of times this season and we wouldnt have kept four clean sheets with him in the nets. He seems to have trouble holding onto the ball, and it's what he does (or doesnt do) with it AFTER the shot-stop that's the problem. He focuses all his effort on saving the shot where as Given is always thinking ahead about where the ball is going to end up when he parries/blocks.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:39 am

ronk wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote: "OK, I wasn't perfect, but which goalkeeper is? I still felt I had been playing well but he [Mark Hughes] felt he had to bring in another goalkeeper and I suppose it his job to make those decisions.

I like Hart but I also don't think people can argue at this point that Given isn't doing a better job.

It's interesting to see him speaking so openly but really I'd have been more impressed if he'd talked about needing to improve and been more cognisant of his failings.

Sure he needs to play but there's a certain immaturity in his attitude that's a little unfortunate. As soon as he lost his place he wanted out the door. It's a difficult time for a developing keeper, but he mightn't have suffered from a little time on the bench. It's easy to become complacent.

Becoming complacent is what I fear most about him. He seems to have this attitude that 'I've made it now and should be first choice where ever I go'. The particular sentence you highlighted there worried me most when I read that article last week. If you read interviews of really top top players, they'd never say stuff like 'I make mistakes but who doesn't'. They aspire NOT to make mistakes. It's average players who allowe themselves to make mistakes.

And I'm not slagging him off but just little worried with his attitude. Also, I feel that his development has stalled a bit. But he is still a young lad and has time to stake his claims.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby JonnyAsh » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:15 am

To be honest, I can't see him being a first choice keeper at City for 6 or 7 years at least, so what would be the point of loaning him out for that period anyway. We might as well cash in, although cash isn't that important to us now.

To keep him on loan for any amount of time is pointless in the time Shay has hung his gloves up, you never know where we will be, if we are a top 4 consistant team, we could have the pick of any keeper, or if the academy works as it should, we may have another 'Joe Hart' on our books. Yes, it's always good to find a good young keeper, but Given's position is never likely to come under threat, as he has already been the most consistant keeper in the prem for the last few years, and he isn't injury prone. So let Joe Hart move on, and let's try and groom a young keeper to take over from Shay whenever he is needed in future years
JonnyAsh
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby BmoreBlue » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:58 am

I'd like to see him stick around long term - I remember when Given was first bought people said it'd be one or two years until Joe was going to take over for him - now it's six or seven with as good as Given has been.

I'd be ok with a sale, so long as we have first option to buy back - the guy has talent, and with the amount of shots on goal that he'll see at Birmingham, he should have all the opportunity he needs to improve and be ready to take over for Shay in a few years.
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Twobob » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:43 pm

I hope that Joe has a serious look at the situation and realises that Being a City for the long run is going to benefit him far more than playing for a tin pot club.

The England goalkeeping situation at the moment is quite interesting, Without David James they're already touting Ben Foster for the England spot and he's only played about 15 games for the Scum!!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby s1ty m » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:35 pm

Joe Hart has never been able to come for crosses, why on earth would we want him back. He has that absolutely fatal flaw in his game, so does Kasper. Given isn't the best on crosses either, not the worst i must add, but he is SO good at everything else, it is totally negated.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Return to The Maine Football forum