National Football Museum Hall of Fame

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

National Football Museum Hall of Fame

Postby ant london » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:39 am

New inductees this month...brilliant news. Can't believe that they are not already bloody in it!

Mike Summerbee (and the whole title-winning team it seems)

Frank Swift

Joe Mercer

Malcolm Allison

City legend Mike Summerbee is looking to the future as well as contemplating honours for both himself and the famous, trophy-winning City team that he graced.

Mike was recently named as City's first-ever Club Ambassador, and in addition the Blues side of the 1968-1970 period will be inducted into the National Football Museum's Hall of Fame next week.

Many of the players that helped the Blues win the League Championship, the FA Cup, The League Cup and the European Cup-Winners' Cup will be at the ceremony in Manchester's Hilton Hotel on Thursday, September 10th. Joe Mercer, Malcolm Allison and Frank Swift will also be inducted, but Mike is keen that nostalgia should not get in the way of the club's recent progress.

He said: "It's nice that it's happened now, when things are going so well for us and the club is on such a good footing. What I'd like is - put us in the museum, close the door, and let's get the future sorted out!

"We look back at our history, and we won't forget that, but what would be lovely in my lifetime would be to see City fans at Wembley, going into Europe, and the club winning trophies again.

"I think there's a real possibility of that happening with the way things are going, on and off the field. City could be on the verge of going through the same sort of era that we did.

"To be honoured in this way is tremendous. We were not a star-studded side, we were more of a working side who battled for each other. The stars were probably Colin and Francis, they could turn and win games for us, but this is a fantastic honour for all of us.

"Six of that team were brought up in Manchester, so for us to be put into the Hall of Fame alongside some great individuals and great sides is a tremendous honour, not just for this team but for Manchester City Football Club."

For more information and if you want to attend the ceremony, visit http://www.nationalfootballmuseum
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Return to The Maine Football forum