Favourite Ever Away Day

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Favourite Ever Away Day

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:51 am

I am an away day jinx for City. I have only ever seen them win away on a couple of occasions. They normally lose or draw when I go. Love away days for atmosphere and the banter but the match is usually a spoiler.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Manx Blue » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:08 am

Everton 92/93 (I think, although it may be have been a year earlier). 3-1win, and Reids 500000th appearance from memory

Up at 6am, bus through to the "Steamie" (Steam Packet ferry)....bar opens as soon as you leave Manx waters, good banter with the Toffees on the way over. David White got two....did Fitzroy Simpson get the other?

I remember being in the Old Park end (?) upper tier which at the time was very, erm...Cosy?! White Scores and the place goes Berserk! Great trip on the way back too with a number of celebratory light refreshments!
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby rick1894citizen » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:32 am

Wonderwall wrote:I am an away day jinx for City. I have only ever seen them win away on a couple of occasions. They normally lose or draw when I go. Love away days for atmosphere and the banter but the match is usually a spoiler.

Ditto, was having this conversation with CTK last season, all in all i have been around 20 aways and only won about 4, a couple of draws but around ten defeats :o(

Hopefully that will change as im planning on another 5 or 6 this season, we might have to change lyrics to

"we never lose at home and we never lose away"
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Waz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:14 pm

I have various memories of good away days following City, let's see what I remember:

Sheffield Wednesday, 2001-02 season. Ali B's second game for City, we'd only won 4 times at Hillsborough before then, sun shone, was end to end stuff, and City came home with a 6-2 victory. Taking the tram back to Sheffield and seeing all the really sad miserable Wednesday fans was just classic :) The fans were in good voice too during the game, and Goat scored a couple. What was there not to like?

Scum away, 1989-90. I was right behind the shot Ian Brightwell took which fizzled into the top corner and as soon as he hit it, I knew it was going in. It was a brilliant finish and to nick points off them at their place was great stuff. Also 1991-92 when Pointon got sent off, we equalised from a pen and 1-1 with 10 men, singing "You couldn't beat ten men" to the Scummers above. Completely classic.
Waz
Robinho's Step Over

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum