Favourite Ever Away Day

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Favourite Ever Away Day

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:59 pm

What's your favourite ever away day?

Mine was West Ham away, first game of the 07/08 season and also Svens first game as manager. All the new signings, a brilliant new away strip, a new ownership (Frank) and a 3000 strong City following. What a day and we played them of the park really had that this is it feeling.

Blackburn away start of the season is also up there.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Re: Favourite Ever Away Day

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:05 pm

Four stand out for me.
F.A Cup Semi in 81. Gladys bends in the winner.
Tricky Trevor's debut at Stoke also in 81. Over half the crowd there were Blues, (I'd guess a bigger %than at Ewood for the promotion game) we won 3-1, TT was masterful and we were gonna win the League.
Blackburn for the 4-1. Similar to Stoke game but a bigger immediate prize on offer.

But probably pipping the lot...Schalke away last season. Great fun, great company, tons of booze, awesome stadium and an unexpected win. Fan-bloody-tastic.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Mrs Given » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Crystal Palace away, last game of the season, it was the week before they played the rags in the cup final (1989 I think). A lovely hot day, we went down early and found a cross roads a short walk from the ground, there were 2 pubs diagonally across from each other and there were blues outside both pubs. All the blues were singing songs across the roads to each other. Then after the game every one went on the pitch and we were shaking their fans' hands and wishing them good luck for the final etc. Really good atmosphere. I think that the final score was 2-2 but it wasn't really important at the time. Shame they didn't win the FA cup though.
Mrs Given
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Postby Goaters 103 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Think one of the pubs referred to near Selhurst Park is called The Alliance.

Piccs is right about 1981 - awesome day out and I'm still waiting for another semi-final win, jesus even a semi-final itself some 28 years later.

Others that stick out for me were QPR in the FA Cup in the early 90's with a big City away following and goals from White and Vonk sealing a 2-1 - we thought we were going to win the bloody Cup, and going back to the 81 Cup run the 2-2 qf draw at Goodison, great atmosphere and a terrific late equaliser from Gladys chipping the ball in and celebrating at the City end.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:Think one of the pubs referred to near Selhurst Park is called The Alliance.

Piccs is right about 1981 - awesome day out and I'm still waiting for another semi-final win, jesus even a semi-final itself some 28 years later.

Others that stick out for me were QPR in the FA Cup in the early 90's with a big City away following and goals from White and Vonk sealing a 2-1 - we thought we were going to win the bloody Cup, and going back to the 81 Cup run the 2-2 qf draw at Goodison, great atmosphere and a terrific late equaliser from Gladys chipping the ball in and celebrating at the City end.

I was gonna mention the cup sixth round at Goodison. I was in the main Stand for that one. I was only fifteen and sat there hearing loads of 'come on Blues' forgot myself and thought it was safe. So when Gow equalised just before half time I was out of my seat only to discover I was literally the only City fan in the vicinity. Yikes.
Met up with the lads I went with at half time and moved further down the stand for the second half. There were loads of us around there and so could celebrate wildy when Gladys lobbed in the second equaliser. The ball seemed to hang in the air for an eternity before rippling the back of the onion bag.
I have never seen such wild scenes outside a football ground after the game. There were running battles up and down every street and it was like a scene from some bizarre film. I can recall one of the lads who was in our party flying past me brandishing a crow bar, and just wondering where on earth he'd got it from.

The QPR cup tie was ace too, with Vonky celebrating about six feet away from me.
Other good 'uns, Villa away with Reidy scoring the winner. Two goals in the last seven minutes at Elland Rd to win 2-1. Villa again for White's four goal heroics. Spurs away with two from Graham Baker to win 2-1
Winning at Stoke 9-8 on pens in the League Cup.

On the whole there have been more bad ones that good though.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:18 pm

The 81 Semi & TF's debut were fantastic. Also the fancy dress trip to Stoke was the most amazing thing I've ever seen crowd wise (like a carnival).

One favourite of mine is when we were going for the league with Barnes, Tueart etc & we won 2-0 at West Brom & we had an army in that standing end. When we came bursting out of the ground singing there were mobs of WB fans who suddenly realised they'd made the worst mistake ever & fucked off rapid. On the coach we cheered as the bloke on BBC radio said we'd win the league. Never heard anyone say those words again in the top division.

Remember as a kid we won at OT, think it was 3-1 , anyway, we were sat amongst the rags & two of them behind us were saying what a waste of money Marsh was. The ball came to him & he skinned 3 rags & leathered it just wide & both went "FUUUUKIIIIIIIIINELLLL!!!" At the end he was juggling the ball in front of the Stretford end waiting for the final whistle & wiping his nose on the corner flag etc, some rag numpty flew in to do him & he just jumped over the tackle leaving him to slide off the pitch. The Stretford end was going berserk & he was just laughing at them. I realised at that point that he was God.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:Think one of the pubs referred to near Selhurst Park is called The Alliance.

Great day, the run of hell ! back to Lime St, every manc for himself.Crazy
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby Blue2 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:20 pm

League Cup semi 2nd leg at the swamp 1970, Mike Doyle baiting the scum in the Stretford End, Buzzer scoring the equaliser with a couple of mins left sending us to Wembley.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby lincoln blue » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:26 pm

City v Fulham on 2 occasions
The first when Andy Morrison got sent off for sticking his tongue out at Stan Collymore
The football wasn't great but it was in London, and when you live in the back arse of beyond ..... well enough said
London away games always mean a weekend of a job - usually staying somewhere nice
The 2nd when Fulham played home games at Loftus Road - 2003 ???
1-1 I seem to remember (Wanchope scoring the equaliser)
Again football not great - but all of Oasis were sat 2 rows behind - even fat Paul
Everyone was playing it vert cool, taking sly photos with phones etc when 2 comlete piss heads came in 10 mins late and really went to town asking for photos, autographs and chanting LIam and Noel
Thats what does it for me as a city fan - not just the on field antics but all the extras that are bolt on guaranteed to make away day trips what they are
A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.
lincoln blue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby One cap Whitey » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:53 pm

Villa park 91. When City won 5-1 with Whitey getting 4. Great night, loads of blues there to celebrate the win too.
Also Bradford promotion game in 89. It was very tense but worth it in the end when Morley scored.
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Curlie » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:37 pm

Has to be the Barcodes for me.
Direct no frills flights, great night life but the Labour Club beside St James was fantastic. Real football fans!
Atmos was fantastic at the match and all was within wandering distance of town centre.
City are coming to get you!
Curlie
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Nige

Postby Blue Toy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:59 pm

The Swamp on the Munich Anniversary.

An impeccable day for so many reasons.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby rick1894citizen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Not been lucky enough to go to semi finals yet (hopefully soon) but the trip to goodison last year was a great piss up even though there was only 2 of us and with how we were playing away was a great result.

Other one's that were up there for one reason or other are Blackburn a few weeks back as the wait for this season to start and then not leave dissapointed was brilliant and also Charlton think it was 2-2 but felt like a win, can't remeber the year but was underage and had a good all-dayer from 5ish and got home just in time for MOTD and went on the official supporter's coach (do they still do them by the way? as might be a good bet for Villa as on a monday)
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Nige » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:06 pm

4 of my best.

Schalke last year for the overall trip which went via dublin on the way there and Girona on the way home.

Sheff Weds Ali B's first proper game, was it 4-1 or 6-1?

Of course the old wembly 99.

QPR when walshy scored off his arse! Great day out with about 10 pints in the pub right outside the ground.

Funny, 10 pints and a win often makes me remember the occasion for the right reasons.
lets wish for good days but not forget the bad days
Nige
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: Fern 1

Postby Wooders » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:52 pm

had some really great away days but one that sticks in my mind is the Reading game (when Micah had the strop if anyone remembers) met a great old friend that I hadn't seen for a while and he took me to a cool Irish pub in Reading (not gimmicky, a proper boozer full of paddys), had a few bevvies and headed to the game, sat down and who should arrive but Noel Gallagher, parks his arse next to me give me a nudge and asks "is Trabelsi playing?" - which he wasn't so I just said "nah"
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby crossan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:58 pm

VILLA PARK 1981 City v Ipswich FA Cup semi final.................
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby PoC » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:43 pm

schalke last year albeit fookin freezin

hamburg last year even though i dont remember cos i was spaced out on painkillers and beer from gashing my hand in the reeperbahn

sheff weds, the 6-2 game, my first ever away game
MaineRoadMemories wrote:Both can suck there own bolloxs off so they're as equal as each other but a lot greater than us.
PoC
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby simon12 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 am

One that sticks in my mind due to ammount of blues and trouble after was Huddersfield away 3rd round of FA Cup we beat them 3-1 around 1988. I was home on leave and of course Stoke away could`ve been same year boxing day. I took an inflatable gorilla and a copper stopped me and said "you`re not going in with that" I told him that he was being unfair and he told me he was talking to the gorilla.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby miss-mancity » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:38 am

Spurs- City 3-4 game Fa Cup reply...
[center]Image

Sorry but I'm extremely dyslexic
in writing, but not in reading.

Wont to move, to Manchester come new year..:-).
Is in London stil.. :-/.
[/center]
miss-mancity
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City. Barca. Stabæk

Postby Hazy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:17 am

Rags, Barca was just unreal huge crowd and we won that is not typical City, great day.
Hazy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum