Who Will Provide The Biggest Threat To The Sky 4?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Which Team Will Finish The Season The Highest In The Table?

City
84%
Spurs
15%
Villa
No votes
Everton
1%
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes : 67

Who Will Provide The Biggest Threat To The Sky 4?

Postby King Kev » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:57 am

I reckon Spurs will be there or there abouts at the end of the season. Whilst, on paper, they don't have the squad to challenge us for a top 4 place they do have a very good manager who will get the best out of the players he has.

Villa also have a good manager and some decent players but I don't think their squad is big or good enough to sustain a real push for the top 4 places.

Everton I think peaked last season and will start to fall away this season.
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Who Will Provide The Biggest Threat To The Sky 4?

Postby Steve » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:00 pm

King Kev wrote:I reckon Spurs will be there or there abouts at the end of the season. Whilst, on paper, they don't have the squad to challenge us for a top 4 place they do have a very good manager who will get the best out of the players he has.

Villa also have a good manager and some decent players but I don't think their squad is big or good enough to sustain a real push for the top 4 places.

Everton I think peaked last season and will start to fall away this season.

Gone with pretty much the same as you there mate. I think spuds will finish 5th, and we will finish 6th.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby MHiggi » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:07 pm

I'd be surprised if anyone didn't vote for City in this.
MHiggi
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby saulman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:14 pm

I think Everton and Villa will stand still this season whilst City and Spurs progress and overtake them. I certainly think that City and Spurs will at least be fighting it out for 5th and 6th.

However, with the lack of spending by the rags and scouse, Accelotti yet to get over his honeymoon period we'll be seeing a much weaker top 4 this season. Personally, I think this season we will see something much closer to a top 6.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:26 pm

saulman wrote:I think Everton and Villa will stand still this season whilst City and Spurs progress and overtake them. I certainly think that City and Spurs will at least be fighting it out for 5th and 6th.

However, with the lack of spending by the rags and scouse, Accelotti yet to get over his honeymoon period we'll be seeing a much weaker top 4 this season. Personally, I think this season we will see something much closer to a top 6.

Am I missing the point on this Top4 thingy? It can only be a Top4 that is of interest, because that is where the CL places are for. It's surely about breaking the stranglehold of the recent Top4.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby saulman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
saulman wrote:I think Everton and Villa will stand still this season whilst City and Spurs progress and overtake them. I certainly think that City and Spurs will at least be fighting it out for 5th and 6th.

Am I missing the point on this Top4 thingy? It can only be a Top4 that is of interest, because that is where the CL places are for. It's surely about breaking the stranglehold of the recent Top4.

What I'm saying is that I think that the points tally of the top 6 will be so close that any 2 of those teams could finish outside the top 4. I include Scum and Chesea in that.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but this Summer has seen both City and Spurs play catch up and we've been allowed to assemble squads that are easily capable of finishing top 4. This whilst Scum and Scouse have been significantly weakened.

In the poll, I voted for City. I think that even with a slice of bad luck and a few injuries, we'll still have a very good team.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Steve » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:07 pm

I still think the gap between the top four and the rest will be significant. The top four have proved year in year out that they can play consistently well, and win throughout the entire season. They don't really hit good or bad form. They are just always there. Whereas Spuds, and ourselves are going to have cold streaks this season, and it is during those cold streaks that the top four will leave us behind.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Vhero » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:28 pm

I hate topics like this if you don't put City you feel like your not putting enough faith in your team. I think spurs have had a good start but I doubt they could keep it up for a season. They have beat a very weak Scouse side (Right now they are looking lost without Alonso) which immediately makes ppl think they are going places. I do agree about the manager though unlike Hughes he can get the best out of his players...
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby mr_nool » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Steve wrote:I still think the gap between the top four and the rest will be significant. The top four have proved year in year out that they can play consistently well, and win throughout the entire season. They don't really hit good or bad form. They are just always there. Whereas Spuds, and ourselves are going to have cold streaks this season, and it is during those cold streaks that the top four will leave us behind.

Liverpool's form so far is quite shakey. They better snap out of it soon, or they'll fall too far behind. I know it's early days, but the top teams can't afford to lose too many easy games.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby CITYTILLIDIE11 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:44 pm

This poll is a bit similar to an Afghani general election, why no just put

A. City
B. City
C. City
D. City
E. City.
CITYTILLIDIE11
pot noodle style supporter
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:57 pm

I've put City. Spuds are doing well right now & beat the scousers but against Brum, as soon as they were under pressure they looked like Spurs again, with weaknesses right across every position in the defence. Our test will come when we go behind in games. If we have enough to come back & win some of them then I don't think Spuds will be a problem by the end of the season as they'll start to slip. We have mostly better players in almost every position.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mr_nool » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I've put City. Spuds are doing well right now & beat the scousers but against Brum, as soon as they were under pressure they looked like Spurs again, with weaknesses right across every position in the defence. Our test will come when we go behind in games. If we have enough to come back & win some of them then I don't think Spuds will be a problem by the end of the season as they'll start to slip. We have mostly better players in almost every position.

A-FUCKING-MEN!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Zezou » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:59 pm

CITYTILLIDIE11 wrote:This poll is a bit similar to an Afghani general election, why no just put

A. City
B. City
C. City
D. City
E. City.

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!

i was thinking along the same lines though... voted for city myself however i went to the polling station donning my favourite pair of city blinkers
Zezou
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:48 pm

I went for Spurs, but only so I don't jinx City. I think we'll both do well and it will be tight towards the end of the season. Significantly, I think Spurs and ourselves will take points off the usual 4 and I suspect they will drop more points than usual at the smaller sides (Stoke, Birmingham, Everton).

Sticking my neck out, I'll go for no more than 5 points between 4th and 5th, whoever finishes there and I suspect 3rd to 6th might have no more than a 10 point spread.

From our point of view, the next 2 games are crucial - lose them both and the pressure will be on Hughes as he's spent all the money and not improved and is about to be sacked. Win them both and the pressure will be on Hughes as everyone will be saying we can win the league. Four points might be the safest, starting with a draw against Arsenal.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby M147WN » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I've put City. Spuds are doing well right now & beat the scousers but against Brum, as soon as they were under pressure they looked like Spurs again, with weaknesses right across every position in the defence. Our test will come when we go behind in games. If we have enough to come back & win some of them then I don't think Spuds will be a problem by the end of the season as they'll start to slip. We have mostly better players in almost every position.

I agree with you Ted.
Spurs have started well (their start last season was shite but they pulled it round and finished well and will be a threat) but if key players get injured (as has Modric) they will not be able to sustain it!

Everton still do not have depth to their squad and have lost Lescott! Everton -1 City +1. Top 10 but won't threaten!

Villa have lost their heart and soul in Gareth Barry, MON is a really good manager but can he compete with our squad over 38 games? ...NO! Villa -Barry .. City + Barry

I don't see any other sustainable threats!!

I also voted City! We've depleted our rivals and added to our squad at their expense. A Squad is what we have right now and almost like for like can be brought in if required. The January window also awaits if reinforcements are required!

Nobody else outside the Sky4 can quite compete with what we have atm and could have come January, and I wouldn't be suprised, if we do knock one of em out, it will be liverpool who are missing Alonso and it shows! If Gerrard gets injured or arrested or whatever they're fucked!

Come City! We will upset someones applecart this season I'm sure of it!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum