Robson - We can win the league

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Robson - We can win the league

Postby xavi6 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:17 am

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/09/07/manual_083301.html

ROBINHO TARGETING TITLE

Manchester City ace Robinho sees no reason why Mark Hughes' side cannot challenge for the title this season.

The Brazil, who has been linked with a January move to Barcelona, thinks they have made good signings during the close season.

With a host of world-class additions on board during the transfer window the ex-Real Madrid man believes they have the talent to succeed.

The 25-year-old thinks that would a little extra mental strength they can finish top of the Premier League ladder come the end of the season.

"The club have set their sights high this year and backed that up in the transfer market," said Robinho.

"There have been great addition - now we need to under we must be stronger mentally.

"We can be like that this season and have what it takes to go for the title.

"The more I think about it, the more I think this year must be our year."

Gotta admire the little fella's optimism!

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Re: Robson - We can win the league

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:24 am

Damn right Robson lad,tell Barca to fook off and be a legend here at City.
The Barca fans will just throw pigs head at you or whatever.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby ant london » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:28 am

Why not say it I guess

I still don't quite think we're there in terms of being good enough. But I think we are certainly good enough to shake the race up a good amount.

I love the barmy little Brazilian bugger though
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Vhero » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:39 am

I think we can do it this year I mean why not? Nobody thought the rags would do it with a bunch of kids (Sick of hearing it myself but its true) you never know guys. I reckon our game against the gooners and rags are really gonna be benchmarks now for the season.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby simon12 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:08 am

Vhero wrote:I think we can do it this year I mean why not? Nobody thought the rags would do it with a bunch of kids (Sick of hearing it myself but its true) you never know guys. I reckon our game against the gooners and rags are really gonna be benchmarks now for the season.

I agree can you imagine if we come away with 6 points. Oh the headlines: "Lucky billionaires scrape past arsenal 4 nil". The richest club in Manchester score a late winner to beat ****** 3 nil".

And you know they`ll find a fault in it somewhere.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Crossie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:11 am

Mr Robson can help the cause by scoring some goals, 20 would be nice.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby simon12 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:15 am

Crossie wrote:Mr Robson can help the cause by scoring some goals, 20 would be nice.

Don`t think it`s going to happen anytime soon though

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Rag_hater » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:23 am

I think Robson is being a bit negative and we should be aiming for the treble
Rag_hater

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:47 am

Yeah - this just shows how good the journos are - he sounds right pissed off
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby lythamblue » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:49 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:Yeah - this just shows how good the journos are - he sounds right pissed off

We are all going to have to get used to this journo stuff about him or even other players of ours and learn to chill out about it.

It's not new, its always been the way the press are. Let's be honest, we are not used to anyone even considering that Clubs like Barca would be interested in signing any of our players or players wanting to go off and star for countries like Brazil and Argentina.

Some of our players are now big news on a global basis and as a result we have not got used to it yet and overeact every time some journo publishes a half baked article or opinon.

Jesus ...... we never had these problems when Carradi, Samaras, Dickov and Bianchi were our superstar signings!!!
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Twobob » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:03 pm

Shit why not - we have to aim to the top and if we fall a little short then we're in the Chumps league - I think if you ask any of the top 4 at the begining of the season they all want to win the league, its the winners mentality.

Other teams might target top 4 or something like that but dont get there because they're not striving for the bigger prize... Villa last season seemed to be happy with 4th spot and stopped playing and didnt win from March ...

Plus if we keep this 100% record up and no one scores against us ;-)

I agree that the games against the Arse and Scum (also Chelsea) will be our main litmus test but to be fair, if we drop points against these and continue picking up points from the rest of the teams in the league (home and away) then we're still in with a shout.

The first three games we've played so far, and the cup game, have shown already that we've improved so much - Pompy may have been a struggling team and Blackburn aren't going to to be setting the PL on fire but they are games we'd have lost last season or at best get a draw.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Slim » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:35 pm

He didn't come to City to aim for such lofty goals as 4th in the league, I am sure the avalanche of talent we signed this summer weren't sold on the idea of competing with Arsenal for 4th as well. They were probably informed our level of investment being made available was intended to not only win the league but also the Champions League.

Love his mentality, we won't win shit without people thinking like him.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Vhero wrote:I think we can do it this year I mean why not? Nobody thought the rags would do it with a bunch of kids (Sick of hearing it myself but its true) you never know guys. I reckon our game against the gooners and rags are really gonna be benchmarks now for the season.

One of the biggest myths in football folklore started by that gobshite Hansen. Backbone of that team was very experienced and VERY expensive. They just had couple of promising youngsters in and around the team.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

One of the biggest myths in football folklore started by that gobshite Hansen. Backbone of that team was very experienced and VERY expensive. They just had couple of promising youngsters in and around the team.

Blackmore, Bruce, Cantona, Dublin, D Ferguson, Hughes, Ince, Irwin, Kanchelskis, McClair, Pallister, Parker, Phelan, Robson, Schmeichel, Sharpe.

The following year (when the 'kids' were added) they bought that pikey cunt as well.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby edge275 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Very true. Regular players were Schemichael (then 32), Denis Irwin (then 30), Steve Bruce (then 35), Gary Pallister (then 31), Lee Sharpe (then 25), Eric Cantona (then 29), Ryan Giggs (then 22), Roy Keane (then 25), Andy Cole (then 24)

followed by appearances from Beckham, Nevilles, Scholes etc.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby john68 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:37 am

A winning mentality and the expectation that you will win is one of the biggest tools in a players' (any sport) head. Without it, you can only fail.
With the top 4 financially weaker and the rags, L'Pool and Arsenal all losing major players, as well as all our major competitors involved in European competition...This is an ideal opportunity to push to the top. Few outside City will think we can do it, which can be advantageous to us.
It would help if the 12 man...the City crowd, woke up and gave the team better and louder support than the disgraceful effort v Wolves.
Will we win it?....Who knows?....can we win it?....YES!!!
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby The Foggy Blue » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:58 am

But then, after saying all of that, he says he would like to go to Barcelona:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... -barcelona

Apologies if posted already - haven't seen it.
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Tony P » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:52 am

Saw this as well. Wondered why it hadn't been commented on. Could be interpreted in two ways: a come and get me plea or just an addmission that he's flattered.
Tony P
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby john@staustell » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 am

Any of Robson's numerous press utterings should be taken with a large dose of salt or, preferably, ignored. This is one thing we have learnt in the last year!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:22 am

That's the problem; all his quotes turn out to be missquotes or edited to leave out the bit where he says "..but I'd rather stay at City" so I just tend to ignore it all. It's only a day or so ago he made his 'title winning' speech & that was after he'd already answered questions on Barca, so I doubt if anything's changed since then.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Return to The Maine Football forum