Football Museum Moving To Manchester

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Football Museum Moving To Manchester

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:48 am

If all goes to plan.

On GMR this morning... (Preston are NOT happy!!)
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Re: Football Museum Moving To Manchester

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:56 am

Whilst I understand the sentiment of having it in Preston. How many people are going to travel to Preston one of the shittiest towns in Britain for a museum. Makes perfect sense to have it in Manchester especially if it will be offering two teams playing in Europe every year.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:32 am

ross.mcfc wrote:Whilst I understand the sentiment of having it in Preston. How many people are going to travel to Preston one of the shittiest towns in Britain for a museum. Makes perfect sense to have it in Manchester especially if it will be offering two teams playing in Europe every year.

Plus I heard on GMR the majority of people who go there are school kids, it opens it up to a much wider audience as it is so much more accessible in Manchester. I have never been, but I will if it is in town. They said Manchester want to spend £9m on it.
sandman

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:40 am

sandman wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:Whilst I understand the sentiment of having it in Preston. How many people are going to travel to Preston one of the shittiest towns in Britain for a museum. Makes perfect sense to have it in Manchester especially if it will be offering two teams playing in Europe every year.

Plus I heard on GMR the majority of people who go there are school kids, it opens it up to a much wider audience as it is so much more accessible in Manchester. I have never been, but I will if it is in town. They said Manchester want to spend £9m on it.

Did it say where in Manchester? Would be nice if it was part of the regeneration of the east of manc that the Sheik is investing in.
ross.mcfc

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:13 am

ross.mcfc wrote:
sandman wrote:

Did it say where in Manchester? Would be nice if it was part of the regeneration of the east of manc that the Sheik is investing in.

The Irbis. About time they had something of interest there.
sandman

Postby ant london » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:18 am

sandman wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:
sandman wrote:

The Irbis. About time they had something of interest there.

Agreed....great location, badly used to date
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Fish111 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:38 am

I was gobsmacked they ever put it in Preston, i have never bothered my arse going to see it but when it comes to Manchester then i'll have wander down. I'm sure it will become a bigger attraction when it's here.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:12 pm

excellent news, any ideas on a timeframe?
The Man In Blue

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:20 pm

I can understand them wanting to move it for the revenue, but the fucking Irbis? I walk past the thing everyday and have never had any compunction to actually go in there. Whoever decided to stick a big glass 'boat looking' thingy-me-bob in the middle of old buildings needs shooting. It just doesn't fit!

It should be moved to somewhere that has actually got some football routes!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby sandman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:45 am

The Man In Blue wrote:excellent news, any ideas on a timeframe?

They're still early on in talks, so no time frame as of yet?

Beefymcfc wrote:I can understand them wanting to move it for the revenue, but the fucking Irbis? I walk past the thing everyday and have never had any compunction to actually go in there. Whoever decided to stick a big glass 'boat looking' thingy-me-bob in the middle of old buildings needs shooting. It just doesn't fit!

It should be moved to somewhere that has actually got some football routes!

I agree that the Irbis is rubbish, but at least this way there is something good done with it, plus it isnt linked to any actual club yet is in the most important footballing City in the north.
sandman

Postby ant london » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:43 am

Beefymcfc wrote:It should be moved to somewhere that has actually got some football routes!

It's got loads of football routes has Urbis

You can take the Metrolink to the Swamp, or to Piccadilly and then walk to Eastlands up the old canal

Or you could take any number of roads from outside and go to either Manchester club...or even.....any ground in the country

How many more routes does tha want?
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Hold on. Isn't the place actually called The Urbis?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ant london » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Hold on. Isn't the place actually called The Urbis?

Si senor

you will see that some poster spelled it right innit blood
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Twobob » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:20 pm

I like the Urbis - if the crap that had been shown in there was just shown in any of the old same-old same-old Manchester buildings then they'd have closed years ago.

The structure its self is brilliant - its a landmark and it stands out, even if you dont know what its called you know what it is - and much better than the shitty car park that used to be there too!

The rest of Manchester has tried to keep to its roots with the buildings - The Urbis is the centre peice :-)

Plus - No wonder the Preston lot are kicking off about it, speaking to my boss today whos a knob-ender and he says the club pretty much built the new part of the ground arround the museum ...

I told him it will be usefull for thier trophy room now ;-)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - HST

Monsters are dangerous and Kings are dying like flies arround here...
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Return to The Maine Football forum