Carry on Captain!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Carry on Captain!

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Kolo Toure will continue to wear the captain's armband, Mark Hughes has confirmed.

The news means that the defender will lead the Blues out at home for the first time against his old side Arsenal this Saturday, just a couple of months after swapping the Emirates for the City of Manchester Stadium.

Ivory Coast star Kolo skippered the Blues to wins over Crystal Palace and Portsmouth before the current international break, and he has clearly impressed his new manager.

“Kolo has taken the armband in the last couple of games, and I am very comfortable with that,” stressed the boss.

“There might be times in the season when we might ask people to take on the mantle and show the leadership qualities that a captain has to have, but I am very comfortable with Kolo having the armband.

"He has all the attributes that you need from a good captain. He has great enthusiasm for the game, he's vocal in the dressing room before, during and after games and he wants to drive the club forward. We're lucky that we have a lot of leaders in our squad."

“There were many candidates, Stevie Ireland really enjoyed doing it in pre-season, I am sure he'll be a City captain in the future and Vinnie Kompany impressed last year. It's pleasing that we have so many characters and personalities that could have taken over the role.”

Toure captained the Gunners on several occasions during his seven years in north London, but with the departure of Richard Dunne an opportunity opened up that his new manager sensed he would immediately take to.

“I saw those qualities from afar,” added the manager. “It was not until working with him that I really understood how Kolo conducts himself as a guy and as a player. Having worked with him for a couple of months now, I have seen his qualities on and off the field and we can use them for everybody's benefit.

“Our back four is full of strong characters and guys that want to win, and there are times when you need what I am looking for from more than one person. I am pleased that we have that in this squad. That is the big shift compared to the group we had last year and the one we have now.”

from the OS
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Carry on Captain!

Postby feedthegreek » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:42 pm

good choice imo.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby shawzy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:33 pm

Ideal captain for me.Experienced and has won trophies.His knowhow will benefit the team..Hope Barry takes the armband if Kolo gets injured and when hes in the ANC in Jan.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby blootoof » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Agree. Lets himself known in the dressin room, top,top player on the pitch. Only captained Arsenal on several occasions if I'm not mistaken.
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby blootoof » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:15 pm

EDIT: Thats where I read it from^^(os post)
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 am

Good choice. No arguments from me.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:36 am

Im happy to happy Shaft as captain hopefully with Stevie I or Barry as Vice.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby dazby » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:24 am

I'm not sure he was too many first choices around here but Leslie sees more of them in action than we do.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Return to The Maine Football forum