wHEN I WAS 17.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: wHEN I WAS 17.

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:I know what you mean CtK, but just imagine what it'd be like if we ever win the league! I'd cry for hours and then do a fear & loathing-stylee week of celebration....might lead to my death but at least I'd die a happy man

Sounds awesome, if/when we win the league we should organise the biggest mancityfan.net pissup!!!
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Ezz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:26 pm

At least visiting fans can't sing to us 'Where were you when you were shit...."
Ezz
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Ezz wrote:At least visiting fans can't sing to us 'Where were you when you were shit...."

Bizarrely the ever intelligent Wolves fans were singing just that the other week!
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:
Ezz wrote:At least visiting fans can't sing to us 'Where were you when you were shit...."

Bizarrely the ever intelligent Wolves fans were singing just that the other week!

in addition to the equally accurate "you've never won fuck all".
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john68 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:02 pm

WHEN I WAS 17,
City had just finished 15th in the League and were about to embark on a season that would see us end as CHAMPIONS.
I stood at the back of an all singing, chanting, bouncing, extremely noisy Kippax and like most others, expected yet another season of struggle (it was all I known with City), never even dreaming that we would finish top.
I was crammed and rammed together in average crowds of just over 37,000, where only a few seasons previously, I had been able to wander freely round the cavernous emptiness of Maine Road as part of the average crowd of less that 15,000.

22.000 NEW FANS had joined us from somewhere...Glory hunters?...Bandwagon jumpers?...Who knew?...who cared?...they were Blues and we just accepted them and welcomed them. Nobody asked where they had been for last 10years or where they were from.

Our club had moved on from being a laughing stock but we were still the butt of rag and media ridicule, when they got the chance.

Today, is much like then...new fans, new hope. Yesterday we were "DEAR OLD CITY"...now they "FEAR OLD CITY".

Your living memories may only give you failure and too many false dawns to recall...but our City heritage and history is one of SUCCESS. of overcoming the odds.
Of rising from the gutter and sewers of West Gorton and going from a parish back room to gaining League status in only 14 years.
Of rising pheonix like from Ardwick's bankruptcy into FA Cup winners only 7 years later.
Of completely rebuilding after all the staff had been banned for life into one of the major forces in English football.
Of winning the League
Of winning the cup.
Of becoming the 1st club to win a European and domestic trophy in the same season.
Of having a crowd of over 85.000, a record that still stands today (outside Wembley).

SUCCESS IS OUR HISTORY AND HERITAGE...ACCEPT IT...WELCOME IT...WE HAVE BEEN AWAY FROM THE TOP TABLE FOR TOO LONG...WE ARE GOING HOME TO WHERE WE ALWAYS BELONGED.
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:19 pm

john68 wrote:WHEN I WAS 17,
City had just finished 15th in the League and were about to embark on a season that would see us end as CHAMPIONS.
I stood at the back of an all singing, chanting, bouncing, extremely noisy Kippax and like most others, expected yet another season of struggle (it was all I known with City), never even dreaming that we would finish top.
I was crammed and rammed together in average crowds of just over 37,000, where only a few seasons previously, I had been able to wander freely round the cavernous emptiness of Maine Road as part of the average crowd of less that 15,000.

22.000 NEW FANS had joined us from somewhere...Glory hunters?...Bandwagon jumpers?...Who knew?...who cared?...they were Blues and we just accepted them and welcomed them. Nobody asked where they had been for last 10years or where they were from.

Our club had moved on from being a laughing stock but we were still the butt of rag and media ridicule, when they got the chance.

Today, is much like then...new fans, new hope. Yesterday we were "DEAR OLD CITY"...now they "FEAR OLD CITY".

Your living memories may only give you failure and too many false dawns to recall...but our City heritage and history is one of SUCCESS. of overcoming the odds.
Of rising from the gutter and sewers of West Gorton and going from a parish back room to gaining League status in only 14 years.
Of rising pheonix like from Ardwick's bankruptcy into FA Cup winners only 7 years later.
Of completely rebuilding after all the staff had been banned for life into one of the major forces in English football.
Of winning the League
Of winning the cup.
Of becoming the 1st club to win a European and domestic trophy in the same season.
Of having a crowd of over 85.000, a record that still stands today (outside Wembley).

SUCCESS IS OUR HISTORY AND HERITAGE...ACCEPT IT...WELCOME IT...WE HAVE BEEN AWAY FROM THE TOP TABLE FOR TOO LONG...WE ARE GOING HOME TO WHERE WE ALWAYS BELONGED.

What an absolutely fantastic post John.

That deserves to be up on the official site. And deserves to stay there so every young fan can read it.

Fair play to you big chief.
Original Dub

Postby Scatman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:23 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Of winning the League
Of winning the cup.

That deserves to be up on the official site. And deserves to stay there so every young fan can read it.

PMA
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Scatman wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Of winning the League
Of winning the cup.

PMA

para-Methoxyamphetamine (PMA) is a synthetic phenethylamine drug, psychostimulant and hallucinogen. It has, however, been more commonly encountered when it has been sold as "ecstasy"

You could be onto something alright.

John you bollox, if I find out your happy posts are down to this shit there'll be hell to pay ;)
Original Dub

Postby Scatman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:39 pm

para-Methoxyamphetamine (PMA) is a synthetic phenethylamine drug, psychostimulant and hallucinogen. It has, however, been more commonly encountered when it has been sold as "ecstasy"

John you bollox, if I find out your happy posts are down to this shit there'll be hell to pay ;)

Linford told that kid it was Positive Mental Attitude. Now we're getting to the bottom of it.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Original Dub » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Scatman wrote:para-Methoxyamphetamine (PMA) is a synthetic phenethylamine drug, psychostimulant and hallucinogen. It has, however, been more commonly encountered when it has been sold as "ecstasy"

Linford told that kid it was Positive Mental Attitude. Now we're getting to the bottom of it.

I don't know mate, the PMA Linford was on at to be something different because this PMA does not give you a linford lunchbox.

Trust me.
Original Dub

Postby One cap Whitey » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:03 pm

I'm cherishing this time. Its our time and we're lucky that we're around and supporting the club when hopefully we're at the start of a trophy winning run.

I've not thought for a minute that we're losing our soul or changing into a different club, its just what has to be done to get us there.

We've won nothing yet, we're not even close to it really, so I'm not going to worry about my attitude changing and getting blase about champs league qualification or whatever. We dont know if thats going to happen at all yet - even once, so I think we should just enjoy the challenge.

I do admit though, assuming all goes to plan, that the first success will be the sweetest..
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:20 pm

King Kev wrote:
Colin the King wrote:I've had this weird feeling and this thread seems a good place to get it off my chest.

Being quite young (only been going to Maine Road/Eastlands for 14 years) I've obviously never experienced success, or a winning feeling. It's always been a case of struggling through and the club was a bit like being bi-polar. Extreme highs followed by complete deflation in a short space of time. We've been laughed at and pitied as long as I've been a blue- until last September. A year on from that and we've signed world class players, the future looks very promising and consequently the footballing world is on our back. But I've had this feeling hit me over the last few weeks of 'this isn't the same club', and even though I love City and still go to the games, it's a feeling that's not going away easily. Some people might say 'cop the fuck on, this is the best ever time to be a blue' and that's probably the logical thought process but is anyone else even slightly apprehensive about 'typical city' being gone and success becoming the norm? I know our stadium is going to be packed soon with people who've not suffered the lows and that irritates me a bit. I even saw signs of it at the Wolves game the other week when the ground was strangely more subdued than usual.

When match day comes around I'm always really excited about the game and singing all the usual songs but in the gaps between games that feeling creeps up. Maybe it's just a case that those of us who are too young to remember the golden era, but old enough to remember the really shit times, need to snap out of the losers' mentality.

Am I making any sense?

You're making perfect sense mate.

I suspect that there are many many more of us who feel the same, that this new, rich, soon-to-be-successful City isn't the same City we fell in love with.

It's only because we aren't used to success mate, but the elders such as John69, Gillie and Burt are here to help us through this bewildering time. They will know what to do when the time comes that we win something, they will teach us how to celebrate supporting a successful club and they will be on hand to explain what that big silver thing is that the players are parading around the pitch.
In the meantime, we just need to carry on loving the club

i can tell you what i will do, I WILL GET PISSED LIKE I DID WHEN WE WON AGAINST NEWCASTLE IN THE LEAGUE CUP
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby john68 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:40 pm

This supporting a new successful City seems to have become that serious. So serious, that we need to analyse our feelings?
Does anyone really need to learn how to be happy? I am quite sure that we all know how to jump, cheer, hug and kiss the unshaven bloke next us (who is a total stranger) and ecstatically dance in the tiny space in front of our tip up seat...without needing any lessons.
The only differences are that we will probably be doing what we have always done...bit more often and more deliriously and in the case of trophy presentations, for a longer period of time. There is absolutely no need for any night classes.

I don't understand what City fans are going to miss. Leaving the ground with that gut wrenching feeling of sick disappointment? The sadness that follows another loss. Not seeing the Sun actually rise, because it was another false dawn? Moaning all the way home because of a wasted evening watching our beloved city get stuffed again. Trying to put on a brave face and false smile because we've just been relegated...again? Commenting that our new signing looks like being another bag of shite to compliment the other bags of shite that wore a blue shirt, cos we couldn't afford to buy anyone better? Which bit of FAILURE do you want to cling on to?
Being everyone's 2nd team because we have the rags for neighbours and they feel pity for us. Having to sing those funny self deprecating songs in order to conjure up a giggle amidst our misery. Celebrating winning a corner?...Will you miss all that?

...and just to nail the lie...Frannie Lee a mercenary?...when we signed him, he was on strike at Bolton. Having been refused a pay rise, he refused to play. Mike Summerbee's conversation on the train prior top his signing...about how much more money he thought he was going to earn at maine Road. Do you really think that Coolin bell would have left Bury if he didn't think that City was going to be a better career move. Mike Doyle being available to be sold to the rags in exchange for Best.
Footballers are proffessionals. It is how they earn their living...of course they are mercenary...and always have been.
john68

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:39 pm

More wise words.
I won't miss us being shit, if it ever happens.
I will not give a flying fuck who we paid, how much for, when that trophy gets raised aloft. And I won't need to be told what to do by way of celebration. (perhaps a word of advice to stop after a month or two...or three)
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby gillie » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:More wise words.
I won't miss us being shit, if it ever happens.
I will not give a flying fuck who we paid, how much for, when that trophy gets raised aloft. And I won't need to be told what to do by way of celebration. (perhaps a word of advice to stop after a month or two...or three)

I am with you Piccs as i cannot understand the negativity in this thread as i am saying for us all to enjoy what seems to coming our way.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby King Kev » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:32 am

Can I just clarify that my comments about not knowing what to do when we win something were tongue in cheek.

It was just my way of saying that it has been so long sicne we won something that when we win a trophy it will be the first time for most of us.

It seems that people are taking this topic a lot more seriously than I expected. I apologise for my failed attempt at humour.

I am leaving this thread now so that you can continue being miserable and self-righteous x x x
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

King Kev wrote:Can I just clarify that my comments about not knowing what to do when we win something were tongue in cheek.

It was just my way of saying that it has been so long sicne we won something that when we win a trophy it will be the first time for most of us.

It seems that people are taking this topic a lot more seriously than I expected. I apologise for my failed attempt at humour.

I am leaving this thread now so that you can continue being miserable and self-righteous x x x

Good.
You moaning bastard.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby john@staustell » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:04 am

crossan wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
crossan wrote:The second train of thought is that whatever we win and we shall it shall be tarnished by the thought that the players bought for utterly ridiculous amounts of money and who at one time would not have pissed on our club if it was on fire let alone considered signing for it.However as I have said previously I wish for those City supporters who have never experienced any real good times that their dreams come true and they enjoy it while it lasts.

No matter how many times you put this across, which is getting to quite a few, it remains a strange opinion.

I too remember the glory days, and I also remember us paying fees for the likes of Bell, Summerbee & Lee, who probably 'would not have pissed on our club if it was on fire' until we made an offer.

A little further on I remember us paying very (at the time) large fees for Rodney Marsh, then Denis Tueart and Dave Watson, Trevor Francis & Mick Channon, none of whom 'would have pissed on our club if it was on fire', and if Scum had made an offer would have gone there, or Liverpool or whoever.

The same applies to players bought by other clubs, both in this country and abroad. So it is bizarre that, after so much experience following professional football, you dont know how it works and have some strange bias against City 2009.

Utter bullshit..........Bell,Lee,Summerbee initially signed because we were managed by a well respected duo by the name of Mercer and Allison and they saw great creative promise,Marsh, Tueart and Watson joined a club that had recently won the League championship,FA Cup,League Cup and that great ECWC triumph so don't class any of them with the mercanaries of this day and age....SHAME ON YOU.

What a load of shite. You remind me of my mum saying how great everything was in the 1930s and 40s, and everything today is terrible.

You have run 2 counter-arguments - Bell, Lee and Buzzer signed for an up-and-coming club, going on to great things - ring any bells? Tueart and Watson joined a club that had won the league about 7 years earlier, and had flirted with the bottom end of the table since. Only Marsh joined us at the top of the game.

To suggest all players in the past we signed wanted to come 'because they respected good old City' and anyone who signs today is a mercenary is absolutely ridiculous. All those past players would have signed for some other bugger if they'd stumped up the fee.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby john68 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:34 am

King Kev wrote:Can I just clarify that my comments about not knowing what to do when we win something were tongue in cheek.

Worra load a bollix KK...You once got arrested for breaking into a smile....:-)
They let you off after you promised, you never do it again....:-)
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum